1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CUDA and PhysX GPU power rearrangement?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by hellrazor, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    So I got an nVidia (Galaxy) GT240 yesterday and I saw it could do all sorts of things like CUDA and PhysX and HDMI, then I saw that it's processor was 1350 MHz and the graphics were only 550 MHz.

Just out of curiosity, how is all that speed arranged and how could (can I?) I rearrange it to get the most GRAPHICS POWAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its got a 550Mhz GPU core and 1340Mhz shaders.

you cant rearrange that.

CUDA is just a processing language that Nvidia cards use.
    PhysX is a mostly useless gimmick to make a few (15 at current count) games have some shiny effects that a GT240 doesn't have the power to run anyway (for the modern games at least)
    HDMI? well thats pretty straightforward. It is convenient however.

3. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    try evga precision ;) you wont get very far but still get a decent boost in performance

4. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    i have one running as a physx card, since physx doesnt stress it so much I got it running at 725core 1700shader 1150mem

5. Dave63

Dave63 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I pick up the Zotac GT-240 AMP Edition to replace a 8400 GS & 8200 GT in SLI mode OC and the windows 7 scores was at 2.9 for gaming & aero to 6.8 for both and memory was 5.9 to 7.1. I am getting about 48-56 FPS in GTA 4 & NFS Prostreet. MSI Afterburner is very nice have not OC but will be to see how far it will go:)

Here is the specs.

Model ZT-20405-10L
    Core Clock 600MHz
    Core Processors 96 stream processors
    DirectX DirectX 10.1
    Dual-Link DVI Supported Yes
    DVI 1
    GPU GeForce GT 240
    HDCP Ready Yes
    HDMI 1
    Interface PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
    Memory Clock 4000MHz
    Memory Size 512MB
    Memory Interface 128-bit
    Memory Type GDDR5
    Package Contents ZT-20405-10L
    HDMI-to-DVI cable
    3D Vision Discover glasses
    ZOTAC Boost
    Driver Disk
    User Manual
    SLI Supported No

6. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    8400 GS & 8200 GT in SLI mode :eek::rolleyes:

7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the same card soley for PhysX. Just use MSI Afterburner to overclock it. It's a very easy to use program. Oh, search for reviews on your card and see what review sites get for overclocks on it. It will give you a good idea on what OC's you can get out of it. :toast:

8. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    they can nearly run cod4 :roll:

9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The two speeds you have are the shader clock speed(that is the bigger number) and the core clock speed(the smaller number). Modern games use the shaders to do most of the work, so having them run at a higher clock speed will give better graphical performance.

I don't believe the OP asked for your opinion on PhysX or CUDA or HDMI.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    AthlonX2 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    he asked about them, not knowing what they are. i answered his implied question.

11. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    No he didn't, he stated the card has them, he didn't ask what they were or even seem confused about how they are used.

12. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Just stop. Really, the point of a forum is many members and many ideas. Just as Mussles didn't type in the praise and glory of Physx and CUDA by your standard definition doesn't mean you need to attack his post.

It is all true, so what is the harm? Wait, it does not increase the great praise and glory of almighty Nvidia to make glorious benefit over the devil ATI. Yes that must be it.

BTW, quoting yourself in a sig to make it seem like you are not a fanboi.....really?

10 Million points folded for TPU
  13. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    wow?

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    newtekie1, if he dosnt even know what the gpu clocks speeds mean how the hell would he know what Cuda, hardware physx or HDMI is juding by what he typed.

he clearly does not know exacly what they are. mussles told him what they were and what he said is correct.

he read the lable, it said CUDA HDMI PHYSX!!!!!!!!
    he said awsome!
    wait wtf are they?

15. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    It has nothing to do with that. He it trolling in this thread by bashing PhysX when no question about PhysX was ever asked, and he is a damn mod, he should know better.

If someone isn't asking about PhysX, it is trolling to come in on a rant about how PhysX is useless. We know he thinks PhysX is useless, he doesn't need to post it in every thread remotely related to PhysX when the OP isn't asking for people's opinions on PhysX. I've even said PhysX is useless, but I'm not going around posting it every chance I get.

And the quotes that show I'm not a fanboy are from other people, I just put the last one in to make light of it. The fact of the matter is I've been called both an ATi fanboy and an nVidia fanboy in the same day. Why? Because I defend both from idiotic fanboys who like to rant on about how whoever they prefer is so much better, and bash whoever they don't prefer, and the true fanboys tend to show themselves very quickly, as they are the ones that start resorting to personal attacks first, and are usually the one screaming fanboy first...:shadedshu It is a sad inevitability that you will be called a fanboy when you defend a company from foaming at the mouth fanboys, and since I do it for pretty much any company, I've been call a fanboy of all 4(Intel/AMD/ATi/nVidia).

Where does it even imply that he doesn't know what CUDA and PhysX and HDMI is in his first post? So because he is ignorant about clock speeds, and how they effect performance, he must be completely ignorant about everything? Give me a break.

16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    ^ what he said. it was very clear that the OP didnt know what they were. just because he didnt phrase it into a direct question does not mean it WASNT a question, or at least a lack of knowledge to be filled.

he didnt even know what GPU and shaders clocks were, or how they work - so why on earth would he know what CUDA and physX are?

17. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    fair enough, i do agree (newtek's post), what mussles said about physx was not needed, he should have stated it was infact his opinion on it.

re read how it said what he said.

it is quite obvious he does not know exacly what they are. he may or may not have an idea about 1 or 2 of them but he dosnt know the details.

also what is the harm in either A: confirming what he already knew about them and reinforcing it or B: he learns somthing new he did not know or understand about those technologies?

either way mussles was right in posting that infomation.

18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    its hardly an opinion. there are 15 games that use hardware physics (fact)

those games that do use it, will require something more powerful than a GT240 to make use of it at playable framerates (also fact)

sorry if it wasnt asked for specifically, but the guy clearly didnt know much about video cards. why shouldnt i fill some of those gaps, in case he doesnt know what questions to ask?

19. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Oh I don't know, maybe because there is a gigantic ass marketting campaign that tells him what they are... I don't see many marketting campaigns explaining how clock speeds work and how they effect performance, do you?

20. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    marketing? what?

that dosnt inform you about anything, its designed to make you want the technology, dosnt mean they tell you what it is, how it works, why its there, how to use it.

at best it says use this (insert random letters here) and get more performance.......

21. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Chill out.

It never hurts to get additional info than what you asked for. :shadedshu

22. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    He just asked a simple question and it leads to this nonsense....

yogurt_21 says thanks.