1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

curious

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Polaris573, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    A friend of mine was thinking about buying a 2.8GHz p4 with a prescott core (here is the link). One of the reviews said that the prescott is prone to overheating and other problems. I've never heard of this. Is there any truth to it or did some poor sucker just get a bad processor? Any thoughts?
  2. grazzhoppa New Member

Thanks Received:
    Prescott cores run extremely hot - it wasn't a fluke for that guy.

But as long as you have a cpu cooler meant for a prescott cpu and adequate air flow in the case, I wouldn't worry about overheating.

Your friend may want to consider a 2.8ghz / 533 fsb Northwood, it may be slightly cheaper, it performs the same as the prescott core at that speed, and it'll run cooler.

On another note, that cpu in the link doesn't have Hyper Threading in case your friend missed that.
  3. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Northwoods are faster clock for clock than Prescotts, due to the shorter pipeline, and run cooler too, but the 533 FSB doesn't support HT either (at least mine doesn't) but they can OC a lot when coupled with good RAM :)
  4. Polaris573

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everyone, the processor is and upgrade for an older computer so the motherboard couldn't suppport HT even if the processor did. Cooling leaves something to be desired too, so I'll tell him to go with the Northwood. Thanks again.
  5. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Theyre not "extremely" hot, the latest revisions don't though. Cool is different though. At 2.8Ghz a Northwood is faster as well. I believe a presctoor gets faster above 3.2Ghz
  6. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well I just replaced my 2.4C Northie with a 3.2E Prescott and the idle temps are about 10c higher in the same Mobo and Case. now granted I think the stock cooling is subpar and plan on replacing it with a Zalman 7000B ALCU or maybe a BitsPower Silentstorm(full copper 120mm),not to mention it raised my PWM temps to about the same(10C)
  7. ndgoh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would a AMD64 2800+ a better choice? Perform better, Price is more or less the same. Its cooler too......

Ok....ok..... just a thought.... :D
  8. Polaris573

Thanks Received:
    No becuase it's to upgrade an older computer, to put in a AMD64 he would have to by a new motherboard too. I agree though I would put the AMD in if I could ;)
  9. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    dont buy an 478 socket cpu
  10. Polaris573

Thanks Received:
    I don't have much of a choice its to upgrade an old computer. Not going to buy a new motherboard for an old computer, might as well build new one if I replace the motherboard and and processor. The old board uses RDRAM so if I replace the motherboard it would need new RAM too. It would be rather pointless to cram a bunch of new stuff into an old gateway case.
  11. grazzhoppa New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're fortunate to have a board that supports a 533 bus :). I bought a 478 board that supported ddr ram back when there was only the Willamette core. I was new at building a computer myself, and I expected this board to take me to 3.0ghz as I heard socket 478 was going to go that high at the time. Little did I know that fbs increases get the cpu speed up that high, and so the highest clockspeed I could get was a 2.4ghz 400 fsb Northwood.