1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Current gen Story-Driven FPS?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nailezs, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know of and current-gen story-drive fps's out or on the horizon? I'm dieing for one; getting kind of burnt out on my MMOs.

TBH I'd love it if they had the Halos out on PC but thats never going to happen, so I'm looking for suggestions!

I've played Deus EX: HR, Metro (both), Crysis 3, and Dishonored, and while I loved them, they wont scratch the 'itch' I'm currently having. Honestly I loved the campaigns of the MW series, but they weren't long enough and it sucked that there was no choice between stealth or combat.

If my old memory serves, I seem to recall reading something a year or so ago about a newer FPS that had a 40-hr campaign or something like that.

Bonuses if it will tax my rig due to beautiful graphics!

Any ideas?
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just want The Last of Us on PC.
    Mindweaver, GreiverBlade and Solaris17 say thanks.
  3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    "I just want The Last of Us on PC."

-Agreed. I have it on my PS3 but I have yet to finish it. The blur, framedrops, and aliasing are very frustrating, although it still looks very good. I can't imagine how awesome it would look in motion running on a wicked fast PC.

OT: I'm sure you have already played the Half-life series, but If you try BlackMesa Source ( a remake of the original Half-life, not finished but will take you up to the part where you go to Xen) and then play Half-life 2 and Ep1 and Ep2 with Fakefactory's Cinematic Mod (CM13 Alpha 12 just released on new years eve) it is a very enjoyable story FPS. There's no bullshit quicktime events or portions where you are removed from control of your character and cutscene crap. Also, IMO a silent protagonist makes for a much more fun experience. I know they are not really "Current Gen", but the mods put them right up there with the latest and greatest.

If you have not tried those yet or have not touched them in a while I highly recommend them. I love the story presentation in those games. They may not be the best/original/deep stories, but they are done exceptionally well.

Black Mesa Source trailers:

HL2 Cinematic Mod trailers (all the character models are optional in case you find Alyx, for example, to be too much of a supermodel. I kinda do.):

Keep in mind these are trailers from CM11 since CM12-13 has no trailers. It looks even better now.

Nailezs and qubit say thanks.
  4. Constantine Yevseyev

Constantine Yevseyev

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried BioShock Infinite? Though, it will take only about 14 hours to beat it (even w/ "Season Pass" DLC pack).
    Nailezs says thanks.
  5. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    is tomb raider an option?

dying light coming soon, not sure if that counts as story driven.... or rage
  6. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Don't think it's first person but you could try Remember Me--it got a lot of mixed reviews but everyone I know that played it liked it.
    Solaris17 and Nailezs say thanks.
  7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Not any more as it was good and worth playing but failed and thought it needed more effort even more so in the movement department.

Massive download but dam it brings back life to HL2 that's for sure and i ended up playing the game though again just because of that mod. Well worth getting and i noticed the writing on the walls were different too some funny and more of a adult kind of content.

There is Far Cry 3..
    Nailezs says thanks.
  8. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, you ave me loads of good idea's!

I broke down and bought AC4BF yesterday - then spent the next 16hrs glued to my chair lol
  9. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    erocker bby plz

I loved it.
    GreiverBlade says thanks.
  10. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    remember me really was not bad, the gits references caught me by surprise and not many have played it

theres also blood dragon, didn't get a chance to play black flag though, hope you like it.
  11. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    If you haven't played the Mass Effect trilogy (60 hours for ME, 60 hours for ME2, 40 hours for ME3 if memory serves), that's about the most story driven game I ever played in the shooter category. Mind you, it's third person not first person but most games are these days because joysticks (consolitis) doesn't do the first person perspective justice.

Hmm, looking through my list of games...

I logged 21 hours in The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. It's third person as well but very story driven.

I've logged 41 hours in E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy. It is an FPS based on the Source engine. I don't know if I'd really call it "story-driven" because it's very confusing. It does encourage you to play many times through though so you can better grasp the story. I'd guesstimate it probably runs at about 6 hours per play through so the hours in it are deceptive.

Skyrim? Oblivion?

Fallout 3/New Vegas? Especially New Vegas.

Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City, San Andreas, IV, Episodes from Liberty City? Yeah, yeah, they're third person and the story on the first three mentioned weren't that great but they're freaking long games, especially San Andreas.

Max Payne series?

Red Faction series?

Ooooo! S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series! If you haven't played those, that might be exactly what you're looking for. Even if you don't like creepy games (like me) it's worth fighting through the creepy parts to see the story through.

Sleeping Dogs is very story driven but it doesn't really qualify as a shooter at all.

As previously mentioned, Tomb Raider (2013). It is only 17 hours single player though and that is 100% completion of the single player campaign.

Similar to Oblivion and Skyrim is Two Worlds and especially Two Worlds II. It is more on rails than the aforementioned titles but maybe you've never heard of them before so I figured I would give it a mention.

Maybe you'd like to step out of the realm of human shooters and consider first person shooters...in space? The X series of games (would only recommend X2 and X3 series though--the first is too dated) would qualify for that so long as you stick to M6 class ships and smaller. Frigates (M7) and capital ships (M2 and M1) mostly rely on AI controlled turrets.

Um, yeah, that's about all I have unless you like sneaky-sort games. Even if you don't, you might want to look at Alpha Protocol. It is very story driven but it is third person. I probably logged over 100 hours into that game seeing how different people react differently to different choices.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I absolutely love stalker series. They have mods called the "Complete mods" for each game. They update the graphics, ai, textures, missions and everything. I do recommend the mod even for a first play through, and the game is absolutely amazing. Playing sneaky in stalker is fun, and you have to in many situations.
    newconroer says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:

IF your going play AC4 you should play the 1st and 2nd+addons as for the 3rd it's alright
  14. _larry

_larry

Thanks Received:
    Far Cry 3 has a pretty compelling story. The graphics are really nice, it will tax your rig about the same as the Metro games. It does have a RIDICULOUS amount of motion blur though.
  15. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    System Shock 2. Yes, you did say current gen, but still. And no, Bioshock does not count.
    GreiverBlade says thanks.
  16. MakubeX

Thanks Received:
    Give Max Payne 3 a try. Something I really liked about it was how the story was delivered.
  17. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:

Agreed. The story may not be so obvious, but it is there.