1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Current sales/deals on games (steam, impulse, etc.)

Discussion in 'Games' started by ShRoOmAlIsTiC, Jun 24, 2010.

1. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great, so I just installed GTA Vice City on Steam and it won't launch? I'm on Windows x64. I have tried compatabilty settings with no joy....any suggestions anyone?

EDIT - Ok I have it working, sort of. I had to delete the vset file in vice city user settings. Then add the vc.exe to the DEP list. Also, if I don't have frame limiter set to on in the game settings it will freeze at "Marco's Bistro introduction" If frame limiter is on, no such issue.

Once it goes into game I tuned off frame limiter and it was smooth but have noticed a few issues. When sitting still on the moped at the start, Tommy will move from side to side violently. It's actually quite funny when done to the beat of Billie Jean :)

Also flashing compass and some textures flashing.

2ND EDIT - All problems are fixed when running with frame limiter enabled but the framerate is ass. Therefore I have a feeling running a 3rd party Vsync App like D3DOverrider should sort this whilst giving a smooth framerate.

Just stepped into the malibu club for the first time in years and pissed myself laughing at "The Village people lookalikes band" :)
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    haven't tried it yet but just picked it up today, kinda sad I missed the other deals while out of town, but no biggie. anyway why didn't you just launch it from the icon in your steam games folder on your c:drive and then you could run it in compatibility mode? seems wayyy easier than havign to do all kinds of mods.
  3. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    It would just go to black screen, hence the need for a couple of changes.
  4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Wow wasnt expecting this. The entire GTA IV package for $9.99. I may have to get this.
  5. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I picked up the episodes, been waiting for them to finally put them up by themselves since I bought GTA IV on Steam quite a while ago. And every deal they have had since then was for GTA IV complete which it told me I owned, which I didn't.
  6. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    so you're telling me that when you run the app as if it were on xp it goes to black screen?
  7. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, it went to black screen when I installed it as is, on steam. File integrity was verified so there was no problem there. Whatever the reason, I have seen a couple of other people on steam that had the same problem. They actually provided the solution which worked.

All the other games in the series have worked without issue so it's no biggie.
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  8. Thassodar

Thassodar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if this has been mentioned but the Humble Bundle is an awesome "sale" going on by Frozenbyte. You pay whatever you want (literally) for these games:

Trine
    Shadowgrounds
    Shadowgrounds: Survivor
    Splot
    Jack Claw (cancelled game that is now open source)

They're DRM free and to be quite honest I got mine mainly for Trine. I'm not gonna say how much I paid but I think it's well worth it because you can decide how much goes to charity.

http://www.humblebundle.com/
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
    TheMailMan78, Mussels and manofthem say thanks.
  9. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    Metro 2033 for 9.99 Euro right now ..... ehhh..... on Steam that is!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. n-ster

Thanks Received:
  11. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    you know steam's been having alot of sales when I see metro for 10$ and think to myself "hmm seems a little steep." lol

Seeing as i'd only want the game for it's pretties, I think I'll pass for now.
  12. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Metro isnt worth $9.99 IMO. Then again I didnt like it.
  13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Trine was such a well made game IMO it was worth 50 bucks.

Dude you got two 480s in SLI and no Metro? What a waste man. BUY IT! Its the only game out that will make that duo scream in pain.
  14. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    we'll see how I feel tonight. I mean sure it's a great benchmark game but when you've picked up the entire gta series for near the same price it just doesn't feel the same. Besides I need to save my cash for portal 2, shogun tw, and starcraft 2. stupid 50$ games.
  15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Its a good single player game also man. I had fun with it. Worth 10 bucks or......two gallons of gas.
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  16. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    It really is worth it
  17. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Just picked up Arma II for $7.99, the expansion is still $23.99 though.
  18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    That game is ether very demanding or poorly coded. It runs like shit on my rig.
  19. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Very demanding, turn off post-processing though.

It's mostly the CPU aspect of it and don't have the draw distance at 10000 with 16xaa and af.
  20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    It's very CPU intensive and would not say it was poorly coded as the engine has been tweaked for many years now which originally was the VBS engine. It's much bigger than other games like what other games can you kill some thing with a sniper rifle from 1.2km never mind other ways that allow you to shoot some thing way over that.

Thing is like all games people keep demanding more and more details so what was a already a very CPU demanding game has never stopped being so.

I play it mainly at very high details at 4k viewing distance. Just post-processing i have off as i hate it and use 2AA which i think i could get 4AA but not properly tested that and 2 AA is enough for me anyways @ 1920\1080.

However i have always said it and still think it you either love the game or hate it. I love it as no other game comes even close to it.

post-processing is annoying so better off than on anyways.
  21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I got a 1090 and it ran like shit lol
  22. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the mental requirements are too high for Bee :laugh:
  23. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    +1 to turning off or lowering post processing, also run low AA. I run 1920x1080 just fine with mostly hi, some very hi settings, I keep view distance at around 7000m iirc. There were some huge updates in recent months that seemed to help a bit. This is a sweet title, and in a large aspect is an amazingly complicated fps/rts/milsim hybrid. It's fun with a few friends online, but it does take paticence and has a very steep initial learning curve. This title has it's quirks, but it's also a riot once you get things figured out, start executing larger scale attacks with AI squads by your side. There's also a ton of mods for this game, Bohemia Interactive might not have a perfect game but imho it's one of the better true PC titles I've played in recent years.
  24. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    What settings though ?
  25. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    My brothers computer can max with it a 9800GTX + and a e8400 @ 4.ghz 1680x1050 no problems, but no AA?