1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Custom card bios flashing on reference?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by ProPlayer, May 30, 2012.

1. ProPlayer New Member

Thanks Received:
    As title states, is it possible to flash a custom card bios on a reference card? I have an asus reference gtx 580 which overclocks really well (stable at 1025mhz) and I'm just too lazy to open afterburner before each gaming session to overclock it... I also don't want to set it on boot because my card wouldn't go idle. I read opposite opinions and I'd like this question to be answered by the community I trust most :).

2. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    In the vast majority of cases the answer is no, there are the odd exceptions from my experience which is fairly substantial, sadly you only usually find out for sure that it won't work once its bricked.

I was under the impression that the recent release of AB gave you idle clocks on startup? perhaps I am badly informed there, have you tried EVGA Precision Tool..... I can't speak for your card but a while back it would only give you your startup settings in 3D mode and did revert to 2D/desktop clocks.