1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Custom Cooling Radeon HD5870

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by HillBeast, Feb 12, 2010.

1. HillBeast

HillBeast New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I have decided to custom cool my graphics card - the Radeon HD5870 - and I have decided what cooler I want, a Scythe Setsugen. I have seen it is compatible and read reviews of it working on the 5870 which is good news, but they didn't go into much detail with what needs cooling. I know I will obviously need to cool the RAM and the VRMs, but I am not sure about the multiphase inductor next to the VRMs. On the stock cooling there is a thermal pad for cooling it, but I have also noticed the Sapphire Vapor-X model doesn't seem to have this pad in pictures I have seen of it.

I am just wondering if I need to cool it or what. I don't want to pop it in my computer and find it melt off :p. The main reason I am asking is that because it sticks up quite high, I am not sure if attaching little VRM sinks will hit the main cooler or not, and if they do then I won't be able to cool it (if that makes sense).

Any thoughts?
  2. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Vapor-X is a custom pcb. Sapphire may have used something else that ran cooler than the reference ATI pcb uses. Your safest route is to put sinks where the thermal pads are on your card. Anything else is taken unneeded excessive risks that already accompany the risk of aftermarket gpu coolers.
    HillBeast says thanks.
  3. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
  4. HillBeast

HillBeast New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I was thinking I will just do that. I just hope that the heatsinks will be thin enough to fit between the inductor and the main heatsink.

Yeah that's what I was refering to in the OP. I didn't actually see there is a tiny bit of pad on there.