1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Custom made fans stopped working, advice?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Luciel, May 30, 2011.

1. Luciel

Luciel

Thanks Received:
    Hi!

The case I modded about a year ago which serves as my main system, has 2 fans on the top, these came with the case and are not regular fans (the do not have the regular casing or design, it´s hard to explain without dismantling the whole thing to take picks off. The point is that because of this it´s rather hard to replace the whole thing (and prob not needed aniway). So my problem is, the leds still light up but the fans no longer turn, is this to do with the current trend on cases that bring fan speed controllers? meaning, aren´t these, essentially, voltage controllers? I.E. the less voltage the less they turn? could this in the long run essentially screw the fans up? and if so, could fixing this be as simple as, removing the little motor from another fan and replacing the one in these?

Thanks!

[​IMG]
  2. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Best thing to do is to turn the computer off and unplug it from the wall. Then try to manually spin the fans, if it's in good health the fans should put up little resistance and make several rotations before settling. If the fans do not spin easily you need to repair them. de.das.dude made a nice little guide to repairing sleeve bearing fans.

If your case fans use a linear regulator that has malfunctioned it should be easy to bypass the regulator and power the fans directly. You can also buy another fan controller to replace the one your case has but I don't know much about mod shops in Spain.
    The current trend is more towards PWM fan controllers because they consume less power and allow more adjustment than linear regulators. Linear regulators are a form of voltage controller.
    I don't really see how a linear regulator could screw up the fans in the long run anymore than using the fan normally would. If the regulator malfunctions or provides a voltage that is too low for the fans to spin then it may cause the fans to heat up and break. It's conceivable that you could pull the motor out of one DC fan and put it in another, but it'd probably be more trouble than it's worth. It's easier to repair existing fans or buy new ones.
    Last edited: May 30, 2011