1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dang Playstation 3....Takes the fun out of PC Gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by DaMulta, Mar 25, 2010.

1. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    This is it, and I think I'm sold on the idea almost now.

I know the advantage of PC Gaming, and loved it for years. I would not even lay a hand to consoles for a long point in time.

Yet, now years later. After fussing with patches, drivers, cracks, and you name it that comes along with PC Gaming anymore without banging you head on the desk. A Console today kind of is a smart way(should I say easy way to game).

With the PS3 it plays my normal DVDs if not better than on my PC.

The PS3 runs at 1080p on my 24'' PC monitor.

You can store all your pics/music on the PS3. Yet I don't know of a way to play your Mp3s while you game(you might be able too tho).

You can get on the internet on the PS3. It's not as good as firefox, but it gets the job done.

Playing online is free like on the PC.

You pop in a disc, and if you need a patch it just installs it. The game just works when you want to play. There is no need to edit a config file to make it work. There is no need to wait 3 weeks for a patch to play it. There is no need to sign-in online to install the game.

Yes, the PS3 may not have as high as grade graphics as on a PC, but they are damn close for what you get. 1080p is about the highest res that most PC gamers game at anyway.

load times between screens is really the biggest issue, but it's not anything that will kill anyone soon.

I do just wish that I could plug in a keyboard, and mouse for all games. Yet, I'm slowly getting better at using a controller, and that's with fun games that just work when you pop a disc in. LIKE what should happen with PC gaming as we all know it's far from.

So it comes down to just one thing. If you want to have a great gaming experience, and get a little extra out of your machine. Your looking for the best bang for buck for what your going to have to deal with for a year or so. It can be said(I'm almost sure of it) the smartest thing to do these days for just gaming.

IS

Buying a nice HDCP 1080P PC Monitor, and buying PS3 to plug into it to install in/on your computer desk. Instead of building/maintaining a PC to just game on 99% could be the best choice.

HookeyStreet says thanks.
  2. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    I don`t like the hardware that is outdated. I hate even more that most of the games are first build for consoles than "upgraded" to PC version. And yes I agree that PS3/XBOX360 are better investement than gaming PC. I could not compare gaming on consoles and PC it is simple different not better or worse. And yes gaming on consoles it easier but it kind of fun messing with PC games tweaking clocking etc.

3. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Glad to here you like the Powerhouse PS3, enjoy Bru!:toast:

4. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Ive been saying this sort of stuff for a while now. With hardware changing as much as it does and the PC games market being flooded with crappy ports of console titles, its a smart move to own a console. I had enough of trying to keep up with current PC hardware and theres nothign worse then building a kickass rig and it not being able to run a current game as well as you had hoped :(

Its mostly hassle free gaming.

And the exclusives are what do it for me.....have you SEEN God of War III, its like playing a work of art!

Its also nice to just throw the disc in and it runs, no messing.

Ive alwasy been pro XBOX 360, but now the game devs are getting to grips with the hardware in the PS3, its a good time to own one.

5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Most if not all PS3 games are 720p so like in my case they look kinda blur. And yes you can store all your pics on there you can even plug your keyboard and mouse in too.

For me there is only one game i have enjoyed on the PS3 and that was LBP. For those who don't mind controllers for 1st\3rd person the system is worth thinking about getting for sure.

Mainly just use ours for movies and the odd demo. Games for it can be picked up cheaper sooner than PC normally as well (SH). Pc is for gaming not just because of the controller but for the picture quality

But PC is the way for me at least for now it is a shame Youtube and hulu don't work on the PS3 i be using it much much more hehe.

And bluray looks dam sweet if they actually put it on the disk in highest quality possible which some don't.

6. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    You cant use a standard KB/Mouse config for gaming on a PS3. BTW, you can get YouTube on the PS3.....aswell as YouTube XL ;)

7. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Although the ps3 is good i can't stand the limited gpu horsepower - if it had some decent AA (like 4xAA on a 1080p rendered resolution instead of upscaling to 1080p) enabled all the time then i would use it a lot more, i just hate jaggies.

Maybe when the next generation of consoles are released with 6k/gtx5xx series GPUs in them then i'll be happy with the visual quality of the games and will use my consoles a lot more.

Other than that issue on the visual quality of games yeah consoles are brilliant for some quick no-fuss gaming (i've been playing console games since i was ~5 years old though, so i'm very used to their limitations and don't mind most of them).

8. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Wow 17 active people. I`d say sure get the PS3, i have one and OMG does GOW3 looks good. But also build a expensive PC for the lulz... JK, PC rock too

9. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    In the PS3s defense, the crappy nVIDIA GPU wasnt meant to be in the console. The CELL is so hard to code for that they threw the GPU in.

BUT, they are finally figuring out how to code for the CELL and that can be used to precess the graphics. Hence awesome titles like Uncharted 2, God Of War III and Heavy Rain.

personally, I thinik this: if you can afford a kickass gaming rig and a decent console, have both.

10. ArkanHell New Member

Thanks Received:
    this is something like:

- Sitting in the couch i s better than mountain climbing.

While you are sitting in the couch, you don't sweat,you don't do any efforts, you enjoy conditioned air, and can do other thing like, watch tv, eat or drink.
    And, in mountain climbing you do a lot of work, in uncomfortable ways, risking your life, with expensive equipments, etc.

well, I must say, where is the passion in couch sitting! were is the excitement, the emotion.

do your mats.

11. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    I'm all about eye candy also, but it seems that they are really getting used to messing with today's consoles on the market. The eye candy is starting to really shine on the PS3/360 without really seeing the need for AA. Not to say that in some cases that couldn't be really needed.

I've watched Hulu, Youtube, and lots of Cam movies on the PS3 internet browser without really any issues.....so ?????

12. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. Now they know how to code for the CELL, the games will start to look great, but for a while now, the 360 has had the upperhand graphically.

13. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    You can also install Linux on the PS3, Yellow Dog, and have it act as a tiny PC as well. (Though this only works on some models, I believe they pulled this in the slim edition, I could be wrong)

The PS3 is good for a lot of thing's, but I miss being able to add custom created content that gamers in a community create, or add Mod's to a game such as HL2 or Crysis. That can't be done on a PS3.

Glad you enjoy the PS3, which games did you pick up with it?

14. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Only 3rd party titles, multiplatform games.

15. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    Ermmmmmmmmm, ok :wtf:

Pretty much all of the multi-platform (360 & PS3) titles looked/ran better on the 360 ;)

16. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    The same was said when the original xbox got modded with Xecuter 2 chip and you could use the Xbox media center APP. on every console i have played on doesn't match the GFX power of a top notch PC. This is easy to overcome with a good set of wireless keyboard and mouse and a 52 inch LCD 1080P TV. not flaming on consoles cause i do enjoy my Xbox 360 every now and then but there is a BIG diffrence between it and a PC

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    You can install game mods on the PS3.

Unreal Tournament 3 - Mod Install Tutorial for PS3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=70Nxi0Wjjps&fmt=22
    Here is one.

I bet the modding that is there for PC. Could be moved into PS3 if there was tools given for it like on PC. That could happen, but the market for the people that like to do that is on PC(for how long is the question).

Yes Linux, it's been pulled from slim(for good IDK)

18. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Sweet some praise for the Ps3 love my 80 gig sumi the perfect mach for my 42# plasma and titles like GOW 3 and Heavy rain.

19. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    PS3 uses a modified geforce 7800....I wouldnt go near that with a 10 foot e-peen. Even the 360 runs on a modified ati r500 chip, but it has unified shader achitecture which was introduced for PC's in r600. Neither of these holds a candle to the current generation of NV and ATI cards

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    aah yes youtube XL bugged the hell out of me lol. You can use the mouse for the browser and a keyboard for typing to people though.

21. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    PS3 is good at home, laptop is good anywhere!

22. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    That's pretty cool, didn't know that. Awesome! :toast:

23. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I want a ps3 so I can play heavy rain plus I'd like it so I can store video and shit on it.

24. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    id definitly reccomend Pepper gaming is getting better all the time and waching br on a hd screen is just bliss.

DrPepper says thanks.
  25. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yo dont forget Metal Gear Solid 4. Man that game was the fucking bomb :rockout:

I played it at a friends place. Sadly i dont own a PS3 but man i was glued to my friends one that he almost kicked me out of his apartment. :laugh: