1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dark picture, I need to light an area

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Raw, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    I have a good friend who passed away a few hours ago.
    I have an older picture that I scanned but I need to shine a light on his face area as it is too dark.
    I know it can be done and I had some pro software a few years back that had a spotlight feature to do just that.
    Damned if I can find that software, it's probably on one of my older machines laying around here and it would take a lot of work to hook up each machine to find it.

Does anyone know of a free graphics program I could use to do this task?
    Thank you in advance,
    Raw

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With Gimp you may be able to outline the facial area and lighten it from there.

I know with Photoshop, it can pretty much be done the same way, you just select the face, make it a new layer and then adjust the brightness/contrast properties.

Raw says thanks.
  3. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    I know with Photoshop...

Ah, that was the program I have here somewhere, I'm thinking. Bought and paid for years ago.
    I don't want to just lighten the face or adjust the brightness/contrast properties manually as I have software to do that on this machine.
    But that Sotlight feature works the nuts, nothing gets washed out, no detail gets lost as in adjusting the brightness/contrast properties.

But thanks for your advice.
    Raw
    :toast: