1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Data Recovery with Linux

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by Morrison5891, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Morrison5891

Morrison5891 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm wanting to create a box for data recovery. I can't decide what to use for the OS. Should I use XP or use Linux? And if I use Linux, what are some of the best data recovery programs for Linux?

Does anyone have any Data Recovery experience using a Linux box to recover Windows NTFS and FAT file systems? I've been playing around with knoppix... Anyone have any feed back on knoppix?
  2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    well it depends on what you mean? i mean you have data recovery as in omg my hdd is failing...or data recovery as in my OS wont boot...so you plug it into another rig and get your stuff...linux is good as is windows at option 2....however for reading deleted/bad data off of an hdd i dont have that experience with linux..only windows.
  3. Morrison5891

Morrison5891 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Both, actually ... I've heard that Linux is able to sometimes mount a windows partition even when Windows can not. I have no experience with Linux so I'm just playing around with the idea