1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DayZ (Mod for ARMA II: OAH) Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by erocker, May 21, 2012.

1. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
  2. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    At some point we had I think 16 people on the server at the same time... Not bad for a first day of operation!

3. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Yeah thats what a friend had said, said that his settings were on lowest. Said it looked a lot better. That video looks ok, I mean it's not as good as Day Z, but thats passable graphics to me. I'll probably play some later today, maybe I'll post up a screenshot.

4. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I mean its seems like a lot of dislike for an Alpha. I could list as many for Day z but its still fun.

Really tempted to buy the Alpha of it but holding off a bit.

5. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    A lot of dislike because they claimed it to be the best thing since sliced bread and it sucked. In the current state, the game is horrible. I started playing DayZ a few months ago, mid-July specifically. I have seen all there is to see, had every weapon, played every map (not extensively, and not the small PvP one admittedly), used every vehicle, etc. I've seen the glitches, gotten killed out of nowhere, dealt with hackers, etc. Nowhere did Rocket or the DayZ devs claim to have the best game available or claim to not have any problems. The War Z claimed (and granted dick riding fans added immensely to this) that it was going to be perfect and the best game ever and all this crap, and it isn't. It is severely lacking in even the most basics of gameplay and a complete ripoff of DayZ. I don't consider Sleeping Dogs to be a ripoff of GTA because you can steal cars and kill people. The same mechanics don't make it a ripoff. But having basically everything the same, even things like chopper crashes FFS, makes it a ripoff, and a bad one at that.

Killer_Rubber_Ducky and MT Alex say thanks.
  6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Uh where do they clam to be the best thing since sliced bread? I even check their site and I see no such claims (Site). Day Z is a mod to an already working game, it uses the same assets as Arma 2 where as War Z seems to be completely from scratch. I haven't heard a single shred of praise from War Z yet from anyone, probably would if I started joining War Z threads though, is that what you did?

"It is severely lacking in even the most basics of gameplay and a complete ripoff of DayZ."

Now that seems to be the crux of your argument. I haven't played but it seems like they got at least the basics of gameplay (which I'd consider having a gun and shooting zombies). As for the complete ripoff of Day Z that is a personal opinion. Zombies have been used countless of times in the entertainment industry, so have guns and so have MMO's so Day Z is as much of a ripoff as War Z or the majority of any other game made in post 2012. And from the looks of things they both seem to be going about it slightly differently. I like the fact that you can melee with your flashlight even though it doesn't kill a zombie, I wouldn't expect a flashlight to do much head bashing damage anyways, but I still like the fact that I can try.

7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a mag-light next to my desk that will crack a skull open like a melon.

8. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Well the flashlight in the game looks like its made out of plastic so that is where that conclusion comes from.

I'm sure you speak from personal experience.

9. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Um, the War Z is nowhere near from scratch. Ever heard of War Inc? http://imgur.com/a/SvNg5 Lots of stuff is basically ripped from that and thrown into the game. Which I have no problem with, as they own the game and can do what they like, and there would be no point to make something completely new just to be new if it exists. That said, that seems like all they did pretty much. They took the interface, the models, textures, etc. etc. and threw them in. They also made some new things, lots copied out of DayZ, and threw them in. It is not a personal opinion, it is a ripoff of DayZ, blatantly. As I've said, the concept isn't considered copying, but they've copied everything else. Having to eat and drink, chopper crashes, weapon types, item types, etc. They added things like melee and jumping which are great...to bad the melee barely works.

They also just banned me from the forums for "trolling, not needed input, we don't need your kind here" stuff. Granted I was saying some stuff that shouldn't have been said and the ban was deserved (permanent is kind of harsh though), but what they are doing is closing/deleting threads and banning/deleting accounts that say bad stuff about their game. It's ridiculous.

And for the flashlight, look at The War Z wiki page: http://www.warzwiki.com/index.php?title=Flashlight&redirect=no
    Swings to Kill
    Body: 2-3 for Survivors, 100 for Zombies
    Head: 1 for Survivors, 100 for Zombies

REALLY?

Killer_Rubber_Ducky says thanks.
  10. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I mean Day Z is more or less doing the same. The same arguments you use against War Z can directly apply to Day Z, the only thing I can really see getting your panties in a bunch is that Day Z came first and then War Z (which IMO is absurd). I'd never use this game did it first argument to praise or dismiss anything.

"Having to eat and drink, chopper crashes, weapon types, item types, etc. They added things like melee and jumping which are great...to bad the melee barely works. "

I don't know under what context you said all that but just to be clear, all this has been done before Day Z as well you know...

I'm sure if they got enough complaints from the community they would change the amount of hits it takes to melee kill zombies/players with the flashlight.

11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes. Ive been split by a mag-light before. Cops love em.

12. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I am about to play some DayZ :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    AphexDreamer, your argument is so ludicrous it reminds me of whole "McDowell's" thing from Coming to America.:laugh:

The fact that it is a ripoff is as blatant as the nose on your face.

[​IMG]

Killer_Rubber_Ducky says thanks.
  14. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    DayZ took an existing engine and made a modification. A completely new type of game, albeit still using characteristics and things from the Arma engine (it is a modification). The War Z is claiming to be a whole new game, but isn't..it is essentially a modification of War Inc. Which again, there would be no problem with if they marketed it as such. They claim they have had the idea for years even before DayZ came out...from what the "alpha" has thus far shown, they are full of shit (as backed up by forum posts that you can find on the web). I once again, personally chose to ignore all this and try it anyways, and am severely disappointed. Yes, you've had to do this in other games, as I said, I'm not saying mechanics are a copy. I am saying it is not an original idea in The War Z and the way it seems to be implemented seems like they stole it straight from DayZ. Chopper crashes spawning weapons and loot in the middle of nowhere is again the same thing. Considering the first weapon I found is a compound crossbow, in a supermarket (surprise), it once again seems to be a copy. And as I said above, they aren't taking very kindly to even legit complaints if they say anything bad about the game. Their forums are full of dick riding idiots, and they don't like you saying otherwise. One thing I respect, and I actually am not a fan of Rocket, about DayZ is they take what the people have to say and seem to want to work on it/fix it, which the War Z devs are also doing it seems...except only if it is positive.

It was a ripoff from the beginning, and while I saw it, I decided to look past it and give it a chance. And it fell flat on its face from the way they have currently released it. I don't know how many times I can say it.

And don't know if I mentioned, I'm still willing to try it, especially interested to see when it hits "beta", because that should be polished to the point of almost release the way betas are marketed today.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree its just to damn close. Before seeing the gameplay I kept an open mind. However, I thought the video was of the stand alone DayZ game and sent it to a friend bitching how they were a downgrade from the mod. I mean really its a BRUTAL rip off if I couldn't tell the difference at a moments glance.

I stand correct.

17. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah its similar but so are so many other games, so whateva.

18. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    WarZ is being developed by a subsidiary of the company that makes War Inc. This subsidiary was created specifically with the purpose of making WarZ, quite a few months after DayZ took off, which spells copycat, big time. And War Inc is a pretty crappy game. I don't see them taking that and making greatness out of WarZ.

19. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    So just tried it again. Every fucking time I got something good, basically a gun, I got killed by an invisible zombie. Every damn time.

So they seemed to have upped loot spawns and fixed invisible zombies. Game is going okay. Have my first memorable moment, guy is walking down road, I spot him, hid behind vehicle. He is armed with gun. We dance around vehicle for 5 mins where he cant apparently see me, i type in proximity chat asking if he is scared, he says no (he has backed way off by now). I only armed with a hammer run that way, he shoots a crossbow shot at me. I run to where it was from, he hits me with a hammer. I backed away, took antibiotics real quick, then proceed to murder him with my hammer. He had a Mossberg with 8 shots on him and didn't use it like a dumbass.

So fast forward to 10 minutes later, I'm in the city and have a zombie on me and a guy shoots a shotgun at me (I saw him first). I run in the building and flank him from behind, see him, get the first shot on him literally 10m away, and he shoots me dead with the exact same gun further away than I was from him.

Makes sense. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  20. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Will this winter wonderland be DayZ’s next map?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/18/will-this-winter-wonderland-be-dayzs-next-map/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Jarvis

Jarvis New Member

Thanks Received:
  22. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to playing that bad boy tonight. Heatpacks will finally be worth having in the game.

23. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Can't play it if it isn't released...

24. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I just went to download it after refusing the files from a colleague, he must have meant Panthera.

25. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    Finally got around to upload that clip of me killing that guy on the cliff
    [YT]5xI-Wr2sdx4[/YT]