1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DDR 2, DDR 3, 64 bit and 2 gig sticks -help

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by madmanjohn, Jul 13, 2010.

1. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys i need a quick answer to this so i can finish someone elses project that got dropped into my lap.

a year or so back when i built my rig, 1066 ddr2 memory was expensive and the hottest thing going. At the time i was told "if you are going to run 2gb sticks then you have to run 64bit software" and that 32 bit would cause damage and overheat the ram.

today a friend got into some trouble with his build and brought it here.

its an ASUS M4A785T-M with an Athlon II 620 x4, I found where he made most of his mistakes and corrected that and did a bios update looking for a core or L3 unlock :D and that went nowhere on this chipset. :shadedshu

My question: he only has 2 sticks of Supertalent ddr3 1333 ram at 2 gig each. My logic says he should still be running 64bit windows and not 32 bit. Does this rule still apply to ddr3 ram?

I need an answer quick guys-- i want this thing outa my house tonight-- youd have to know the induvidual- :banghead:
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The PC will run as normal.

The issue is the way a 32 bit OS adresses the ram, it cant use all 4 GB. It will do no damage or overheat anything to run it on a 32bit OS.
    madmanjohn says thanks.
  3. Crusader

Crusader New Member

Thanks Received:
    This.
    madmanjohn says thanks.
  4. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks guys.

I cant remember where i read it at but maybe things have changed since then. It was explained as the fact the ram would only be able to respond to one half of the timing cycle and therefore would damage the ram because of the way it was constructed but maybe that was just for the corsair dominator ram---and overclocking. either way it said i had to run 64 bit to use 2 gig sticks in any configuration.

This is my first chance working with ddr 3 so i wanted to doublecheck-- either way Im installing 64 bit. he still has room for 2 more sticks-:D

I was hoping that it would explain the poor performance of the 32 bit win 7 thats already on it.

thanks for the speedy response and have a great night. Cheers :toast:
  5. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Nothing has changed since then, what you read was complete rubbish, I wouldnt visit that site or read that book again if they makes false claims like that.

That is false, you can use as may sticks as your motherboard can support but only approxmiately 3.2GB of the total capacity will be addressed on a 32 bit OS. This is the case whether you run SDRAM, DDR1, DDR2 or DDR3 or any ram type in general.

Your poor 32bit windows 7 performance is most likely unrelated to the ram.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  6. madmanjohn

madmanjohn New Member

Thanks Received:
    update

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  7. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    ^ My feeling is that they were trying to wiggle out of provinding a warranty, they know that the vast majority of users run a 32-bit operating system so its easier to support he few users on a 64-bit OS. But there is no technological reason why it wouldnt work as explained above.