1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DDR prices up as shortage kicks in

Discussion in 'News' started by D_o_S, Apr 18, 2006.

1. D_o_S

D_o_S Moderator

Thanks Received:
    You better buy DDR memory while you can, as prices are likely to go up. This is due to the fact that DDR memory continues to be in short supply.

With AMD moving over to DDR2, and Intel already at it, it is expected that DDR1 modules will no longer be in such high demand.

Source: The Inq

2. Satchmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    you state in the first line that you should buy ddr modules now, because prices will rise.

yet in the second line you state they will be of lesser demand soon, i passed my economics class, and i remember a thing about priceing as compared to demand...the the less demand for a product, the harder it is to sell, so to increase incentive to buy, the price is decreased.

so which is it, do we buy now or buy when its out of popular demand when ddr2 is available and in demand.

3. D_o_S

D_o_S Moderator

Thanks Received:
    If you need memory, buy now (at least thats what The Inq reccomends).

It is uncertain if prices will drop after there is a smaller demand, as the memory will be rarer (less people producing it) = price can be kept higher.

4. markkleb Guest

remember when PCIX16 came out everyone said " there wont be any good AGP video cards"

now they are making 7900Gt for agp, LOL. I wouldnt worry too much. AM2 is not that big of a deal and plenty of people wont be upgrading...

Now if the baloney they said about Conroe is true there may be some AMD to Intel converts.

5. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Oh come now, its not like memory will sky rocket to 5x like film did in cameras!

6. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    Thing is only people making new builds next year or towards of the year will be using am2, no need to upgrade when alot of processers are great. Now ddr mem is gonna be higher soon wow.