1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DDR2 667 or 800???

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by warlock, Sep 7, 2006.

1. warlock Guest

I was on ebay checking on what good DDR2 PC6400 (OCZ,Cosair,etc.)was going for,when I found one listing saying that he was selling a pair of ddr2 800's because his board only supported 667. Is there something different about ddr2, I ran ddr400 in a board that only supported 333! Also I know people who run ddr500 in 400 boards so they could overclock.I have a mobo on the way that supports 667 ,but because this mobo is only temporary until I upgrade a few things (DDRI>DDRII)I was considering ddr2 800 with my next mobo in mind.:confused:
  2. g12rxz New Member

Thanks Received:
    difference here is its DDR2, different pins, different type of memory, wont work in s939 boards. alot of incompatibility with ram/cpu's/ and mobo's has arisen since ddr2 came out, which is why this guy is probably trying to peddle off his memory.
  3. warlock Guest

Thanks! I'm more interested in the DDR2800 for my next mobo, if I get some ability to overclock great, but thats not my main concern. Just diddn't want to spend $$$ on something I couldn't use. Hey what about Crucial Ballistix? They seem really high priced, I don't mind spending extra if it's worth it but what a difference in price! Newegg has them on sale for $248.99 ($348.99 - $100.00 mail in rebate).:eek:
  4. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Even if your board only supported DDR2 667, you should be able to run DDR2 800, but it won't be at that speed right away, you have to overclock to reach it.

Lets say you want to get a motherboard that supports DDR2 800, whether it be AM2 or LGA 775 (Core 2 Duo), and you want to overclock, I would either get a very highly overclockable DDR2 800 kit, or some higher speed, memory, like DDR2 1000 for example, for some more overclocking headroom.
  5. warlock Guest

Is Crucial Ballistix what you would consider highly overclockable? I know the local computer shop in my town swears by them!
  6. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    There are some good reviews about them, but exactly which one are you considering for your future system?
  7. Pandaz3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like Crucial, but think it to be overpriced.

This is a thought and might not be right at all, I like a lot of people read a lot of things and I did not really pay much attention to Core 2 Duo, (except how it caused lowered AMD prices so I could upgrade :) ) but I recall something about they (Core 2 Duo) could not take advantage of the higher rated memory due to the memory controller, but AM2 could due to onboard memory controllers. Maybe this E-bay guy had a Mobo that didn't do well with it and he just wanted to drop down to cheaper 5300 or whatever 667 is.
  8. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you wan't a good pair of ddr2 ram you should look at the Corsair 6400C4, C3 and 8500C5 kits. G.Skill is also recommended.
    For me the best buy is the SuperT CL4 memory, it's cheap, DDR2-800 and goes ddr1000 without a problem.
  9. catstone New Member

Thanks Received:
    it depends on whether u mind the price.
    at this moment, ddr2 800 is not yet up to be main stream product. so in terms of price/performance ratio, just ddr2 667 is ok, which costs u less and offers considerate perfomance.
    but if you r an enthusiac oc guy, quality ddr2 800 is vital
  10. warlock Guest

I am considering any quality pc6400 with CL4, the cruical ballistix have always caught my eye. The only reason I asked about them now was the $100.00 mail in rebate. When something seems to good I tend to be leary.The new motherboard I'm waiting for has Ati's Radeon Xpress 200 chipset, does that have any influance on what anybody recomends.:respect:

This is the pair crucial ballistix I was looking at!http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146565
  11. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would go for it! Specially w/ the $100 rebate.

What motherboard you getting?
  12. stealthfighter

stealthfighter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude. I have ballistix. GET THOSE... I upgraded from 512mb kingston to 1gb ballistix... the memory SIZE wasn't an issue (w/ oblivion running useing about 500 megs...) but I was gunning for 1gb. I noticed a huge performance increace in oblivion. go for it man.
  13. warlock Guest

Alright don't laugh! Asrock 478 P4twins with DDRI and DDRII. I'm using this board to tranfer into one of the new platforms AM2 most likely. Although a 478 it has DDRII and PCI-E x16, these will be the focal points of my next system. That's why I was asking about PC6400! There may be another perk, this board comes with an HDTV card. After I switch to a new system if it works well I'm going to use it as a media server in my livingroom next to my 42" widescreen.
  14. Pandaz3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the ATI chipsets are more tolerant of a wider variety of memory