1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DDR3 8Gb kit Advice

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by ice_v, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ice_v

ice_v

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys...I'm just about to upgrade/purchase a new Motherboard+RAM for my gaming rig

On the motherboard...after a desperate search, I just had to compromise to this :ohwell:

On the ram though I have no clue :confused:

Since I'm purchasing the mobo+ram in the same online shop (thus having only one shipping fee to pay), I was wondering which would you think would be the bast bang for the buck memory, on a 45€, maximum 50€ budget, amongst the folowing 8Gb kits:

Corsair kits

G.Skill kits

Kingston kits

extra info:

- the cpu will be an AMD 1090t with some OC (probably not more higher than 3.4Ghz). But I'll most probably upgrade to Bulldozer or Piledriver (when it will come out) in the future.

- I'd generally prefer not to overclock to much since the mobo, imho, is not very suited to do so anyway and especially if you consider that the whole system will be fitted in my Thermaltake Lanbox lite case...so not a very "high airflow capacity" rig :rolleyes:

2. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
  3. ice_v

ice_v

Thanks Received:
  4. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    Its 1600 1.5v overclock well and only 6 euros above 1333 kits.

Sh - second hand.

ice_v says thanks.
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I have some Kingston Hyper X 1333 CL9 @ 1.5v and can push them to 1600 CL8 1.65v. I all so have some G.Skill 1600 CL9 @1.5v but not had the time to see what i can push them too.

But the 8GB G.Skill gave me no issue running them at their spec.

6. Achilles1600

Achilles1600 New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    Where he's from that's €10 above budget, since it's €60 in Italy.

8. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Solid advice: 1600hz @ 1.5v. Lower latency is better, example 8-8-8 is better than 9-9-9.

9. ice_v

ice_v

Thanks Received:
    I know! :cry::cry::cry:

Wish we (europeans) had equivalent prices with those in the States! I'd be upgrading "trice" a year :p

Well there is this G.Skill DDR3 RipjawsX 8GB (2x4GB) 1333Mhz Cl.7 witch is 7-7-7. Do you think it would be better than DarkOCean's choice? I mean I could as well try to OC them all the way to 1600MHz, right?

10. ice_v

ice_v

Thanks Received:
    Oh I see...

On the second hand motherboard...I actually found one on ebay in auction, and the seller says it's basically new...though since he doesn't include the receipt, I won't have any waranty on it, and if it brakes, or somethin doesn't work with it, who will I RMA too? :rolleyes:

11. Achilles1600

Achilles1600 New Member

Thanks Received:
  12. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    I'm in a worse situation than you are. I believe G.Skill kits clock better than Corsair kits (and I can confirm the vengeance aren't so good at clocking up with the same timings).

13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    It's not that simple. I have G.Skill 8GB 1600 MHz that won't overclock very much at all, but my 1600 MHz Vengence LP Whites clock like mad.

It really depends on the ICs used in the modules, the PCB, and how rigorously the OEM bins their kits, which is going to vary from model to model.

ice_v and N-Gen say thanks.
  14. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    its really not worth clocking ram as it is a CPU, Ram is a lil more vulnerable if you dont keep them properly cooled, buy a Kit that has decent speed and ramp the CPU up.

a 2133 kit with a CL of 9 will obviously be faster than a 1866 Kit with CL of 9.

But When those slower clocked kits start coming with faster timings, say a 1866 Kit with a CL of 8 or 7 They tend to out run the higher clocked kits- thats what happened with DDR vs RamBus. Lower Voltage Modules mean they can tolerate a lil more because they dont need higher voltage to run properly.

Corsair Ram is overrated and overhiked for the price they have.

Get the G SKill Set.

15. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    I'm jealous...then again my overclock went down the toilet when I put 2 more sticks in. I see more people successfully overclocking G.Skills while keeping the same timings. I'm sure some people with Vengeance (such as yourself) have experienced the good clocking sticks, but I don't see too many of them around sadly.

16. ice_v

ice_v

Thanks Received:
    I think you didn't understand my first post. The 3 links I posted are supposed to be from the shop I am about to purchase the RAM, wich is in Italy...so stop posting newegg/us shops, it's totaly unfitting

the second kit you posted though should be about the same in specs as this one . Only thing that changes is the heatsink shape/design...right?

1600 MHz Vengence LP Whites like these? :rolleyes:

Which one? :confused:

17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that kit you linked.

here's what I'm running now. They are capable of the same on AMD, but it's a bit more memory controller-dependant:

[​IMG]

18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Not just model either by age from when they were released too so same model can act totally different.

http://ramlist.i4memory.com/ddr3/

19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, you bet. That's why I like Corsair ram, because it has the revision right on the sticks. I tend to buy local, so I can check before I buy. ;) I knew what I was getting with these sticks, for sure. G.Skill was a risk, but @ $35, who cares.