1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dead Asus crosshair III formula?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by uuuaaaaaa, Mar 7, 2013.

1. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys!

Last night i was surfing the web as I usualy do and suddenly i got a black screen.. I pressed the reset button and upon looking to the LCD poster i saw that it was stuck on "innit rom". I cleared the CMOS and restarted the system. The usual beep and Asus ROG splash screen appeared but antything happened after that. Looking to the LCD poster i saw that it said "cmos err". Then i removed all the ram sticks but one, cleared the cmos again with no effect, the "cmos err appeared again". I tried different sticks and different memory banks without sucess. Then I switched the 6970 with my old 4770, but on a different pcie slot and the same error appeared... I unplugged my hard drives and it would still give me the same error. Then i switched the psu but "cmos err" was still there. After that i removed the motherboard battery and left it like that until this morning. Then i pressed the start button the board beeped as usual the asus splash screen was there like every other time, but right before the "cmos err" for like 1second i was able to see the failed overclock message and the F1 and F2 options to get into the bios. This event lead me to the conclusion that something was wrong with the cpu. I grabed my old PII 955BE and switched it with the 1100T but the "cmos err" still persists.

I should note that i can ear two short beeps (sometimes it is only one) at the same time that "cmos err" appears.

Is the motherboard fried? What should i do? :confused:

I hope you guys can help me!

2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    uuuaaaaaa says thanks.
  3. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    The crash free bios thing did not work. Then I read the instructions of the ez flash 2 utility. Pressing ALT+F2 during boot made "ez flash" appear on the LCD poster but i couldnt see anything on the screen. I then look up on youtube to see how it would work. I disconnectd all of my drives and left only the usb drive connected. I restarted the system pressed alt+f2 and managed to flash the bios without seeing anything on the screen (press tab then enter, wait 5mins, left arrow and enter again). The processed seems to have worked beacause it auto restarted and dont get "cmos err" anymore. Now if i start the computer i hear the normal beep, the asus ROG splash logo appears and then the screen goes black. During this process judging by the lcd poster the board acts like there isnt any problem at all. If I press "del" during the asus ROG logo the lcd poster says that i am in the bios but i cant see anything on the screen... I tried this several times and i managed to see the bios screen once for like 1second and i could see that cpu speed and memory speed were at default but then the screen went black again...

4. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

blind flash; is bios the latest one from the www and or one you know worked? [make sure cpu compatible version, some have newer hardware support]

Remove the CPU [check pinouts] clear cmos; reseat the CPU; boot with minimal hardware, one stick of RAM, VGA card [able to boot to DOS prompt]

Any spare RAM try using RAM from another source [*may be]

Is the mobo still in warranty?

Edit: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172968

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    uuuaaaaaa says thanks.
  5. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    I flashed it with bios 2003 which was the same that had before. Reseated the cpu and booted with one stick of ram and the same happened. i cant even get to the phase in which i can select which startup method i want, i. e. the board posts i see the asus rog logo the screen goes black and then it does nothing. I tried the memok button but it stared giving me the cmos err again... I will check the Boot Failure Troubleshooting Flowchart when i get home. I bought this mobo in like 2009 :)

Edit:

I found the problem... It is the monitor it only works for like 5secs and then it shuts down... I was about to oder a new mobo and just before ordering it i tried a diferent monitor and the computer is runnig flawlessly. It seems that i managed to corrupt the bios the first time i pressed the reset button. Then i blind flashed and fixed it...

Im getting this little guy:
    http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG248QE/

Quake is gonna be smooth crt style again ))

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    Law-II says thanks.
  6. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

thanks for the update, sweet looking product :toast:

atb

Law-II