1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dead board? Help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by farlex85, Feb 5, 2008.

1. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    After some perhaps jumpy but not excessive ocing, my board gave the message the system board did not support the cpu, even though they have been working harmoniously for about a month now. I have switched all the parts out and tested and still I get no post or keyboard activity upon power on. So I am thinking it is the mb, but before I go through the hassle of getting and setting up a new mb, I thought I would ask you guys a few things.

First, I can disconnect everything except for the cpu, vc, and mem and should still get a bios right? And even if the vc was faulty I would still get the num lock correct? Second, I recently upgraded my comp, and to test parts have pretty much completely reverted back to my old system (pd 2.8, x700, same mem and mb), and nothing happened, so am I right in assuming it is the mb? Thanks for any help guys.

Oh yea, everything powers on fine including the mb, no beeps or anything, but I get nothing on the top end.

And also the aforementioned oc was not very high at all, only 377fsb, with no voltage or mem freq increases. However, I had been jumping around a bit, not using the steady procedure I should have. I did play with the voltages a bit, at one point I increased the cpu vcore by .05 and the fsb vtt to 2%, but those settings were not in effect for the apparent deathblow.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  2. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    try reseting the CMOS if you havnt i dont think you mentioned you did.
  3. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I didn't mention I did do that, I actually left the battery out overnight, and tried the CMOS reset button which has always worked before this occasion.
  4. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    With no post, its not likely to be a hdd issue is it? I figured its got to be either the mb, cpu, vc, or mem.
  5. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    yeah, its not a hdd issue, sorry i cant help i really dont know anything else you could try, its the mobo or proc thats all that can be sure, it would beep if the mem was bad,
  6. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm not so sure, thats what I thought too, but just to check I removed all the memory and powered it on, and there were no beeps. However, I do have 4 gigs and have tried each one individually so I find it hard to believe I have 4 bad sticks of ram all of the sudden. And it think it wouldn't be the proc ( at least I hope not) as it is a month old and I did not push it very hard at all. Also, I tried my pentium d which I know was working, and its still the same thing. Anyway thanks, I think it probably is the mb, but if any other suggestions are greatly appriciated.
  7. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    it would still post without ram

follow my troubleshooting guide to be sure but i believe you are correct it is a bad board

just to be clear, you say you also tried a different cpu correct?
  8. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea i did try my old pd which worked last time I checked. Just grabbed a p5k from micro center gonna see if I can get it running with that.
  9. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    A computer will not post without ram.

farlex85, Try every ram stick one by one. Stick one in, test, stick another one in test, until you have tried them all. One doggy stick could mess up a successful boot. You said that you removed the battery so that should theoretically clear the CMOS but it's worth doing the jumper method too. Look in the manual to locate the CMOS jumper. Motherboards don't tend to stop working under their own accord, is there any way that you system could of fell during transportation or something?
  10. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    borrow another stick of ram off your mate also and check its not a ram compatability issue maybe your board just doesnt like your ram.
  11. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. It was indeed the board that was messed up. Did a quick partial install with another mb and got into the bios fine with the same components. An interesting thing, when I was taking out my mb, there was a loose screw just underneath the top side of the mb. Could this have caused it to short out? That is my theory now. If that is the case, would it work now maybe? I dont have time to test it now but I will try tomorrow. Although I was planning on upgrading mbs anyway, I was hoping to wait for a little more cash.
  12. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Another thing I didn't think about, as luck would have it my recent upgrade included an upgrade to vista with the system builders pack. Am I going to be forced to reinstall vista when installing new mother board, or will I be fine as long as I don't need to reformat?