1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dead Formats Walking

Discussion in 'News' started by Ice Czar, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Ice Czar New Member

Thanks Received:
    David Morgenstern offers up some not so obvious reasons why both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are in trouble for eWeek's Data Storage. Ranging from the reluctance of the public to invest in a technology in the middle of a standards war. (Hey buddy can you spare a BetaMax?) To the new recycling laws already in effect in Europe, soon to take effect in California and likely to be adopted coast to coast. Then of course there are the various DRM issues, and the fact consumers needs are already being fulfilled with DVD's unlike the previous match-up against VHS.

Source: eWeek Data Storage
  2. Satchmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    honestly, we dont need 250gb cd's, theres absolutely no need for that.

most people can honestly backup any essential data on one 600-700mb cd-wr

DVD9 is like 8 gigs....thats two fullsize unpacked pc games... not freakin required.

unless your editing and transporting videos you dont need more then 8gb of space, and if you do, learn to .rar split archive and put it on 2 dvd9's. and if absolutely need all 200gb of info on ur HDD, trying unplugging it and putting it in a shock resistant carrying case.

one might argue, more space means the dvd movies you buy will be of higher visual and sound quality...well yeah...but how high of quality do you need to watch a movie?

250gb dvd full? even at 4 mbps video quality you can still fit 10+ hours of video....most home dvd players wont have the processing power to play 4 mbps continuesly.

not to mention, how many of us arnt happy with the dvd quality on our high def plasma tv's?
    you dont have one you say? then whats the point of the video being super high def if ur tv leaves it at 640x480 analogue?
  3. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive got about 20 gb of music files alone. Blu-Ray/HDDVD are going to be great for making backups of large amounts of files. Although their starting price point wont be pretty, in a few years it should be great. For now a cheap 80 gb hard drive and an external enclosure beat the hell out of backin up to multiple expensive dvd's.
  4. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I moved to this sytem for better performance and more storage. I currently have 327Gb Free on a 600Gb array. At the rate I am currently going I will need another two 300's to add in less than a year.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  5. Satchmo New Member

Thanks Received:
    see now you freaking americans, no offense, its not that you need more space,its that you need to learn to conserve.

20gb of songs? come on thats 5000+ songs, think about that. Theres got to be over 1000 songs that you havent listen to in months. and if ur not storeing them as mp3's youve got other problems...:wtf:
  6. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    WMA lossless cd rips, I'm an audiophile. Ive got a 180 gb hard drive and plenty of space to fill.

Checking WMP, I currently have 1918 songs at a total of 17.57 gb.

When I get payed next week im buying another 160 gb sata2 drive and going to set it up as raid 0. 320 gb :D
  7. Ice Czar New Member

Thanks Received:
    once apon a time some forum mates of mine developed a new unit of measure
    the T&Abyte (counting in pairs of course :p )
    the basic unit was the number in a terabyte.

Ive got nearly 1.75TB nearline storage (antique parity) rarely online (heat / power)
    200GB of modern parity RAID5
    half a dozen individual HDDs
    and employ multple locations, images, dual boots
    as well as multiple hard backups in various CDs and DVDs of important stuff

of course its still in one location :p

$1.00 for 4GB of backup?
    thats all I need for hard backups
    Id rather invest in other infrastructure
  8. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Terrabyte me baby!!!!

Betwixt here . . and here lies the infinate space required to run Oregon trails. Those were the days.
    10 Million points folded for TPU