1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dead Power Supply

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OrbitzXT, Sep 13, 2010.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last night, my computer decided it was time to turn off. It just powered off, no shutdown or anything.It wouldn't turn back on and I noticed some of the LEDs I can usually see lit up on the motherboard weren't. A couple of weeks ago actually I noticed my PSU doing something odd, it has fairly bright blue LEDs on it, and every 2 seconds it would go from fully lit, to half lit, back and forth till it died last night.

I also smelled something "motorized" when it burnt out last night. It was a good PSU according to the reviews on NewEgg but I guess it couldn't handle the stress my computer was giving it. So anyway, I'm a little concerned for the rest of the components. I can't know if everything is okay until the PSU arrives later in the week. How often does a burnt out PSU take something with it? I have a fairly high end gaming PC and I'm worried about my precious parts...especially with Final Fantasy 14 being released so soon.

2. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    if the powersupply has the proper protections in place you should be just fine

example my 750silencer during a huge power spike it fried my 4870x2 but saved all other components surprisingly all you can do is wait till the new psu arrives set everything to stock and start over.

3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    It's hit or miss. I had a Hiper PSU go bad and two motherboards were fine, but it toasted the PCI bus on a third. All sorts of weird things leading up to that.

When you try the new PSU, do you have on-board graphics and sound you can try? Instead of risking the video card / sound card...

BTW - was the CD tray not opening problem you had in the same system?

4. Obsidian86

Obsidian86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    newegg reviews cant be trusted i take them more as a personal opinion then a review

5. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, that was a PC at work. This PSU passing on was my own personal PC at home. I ordered the new one today so hopefully I'll have it by Wed/Thurs. Also I don't have on board graphics but I have 2 GTX 285s. So I should only use one at a time for now till I see things are ok?

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I'd say it is about a 75% chance that everything will be fine.

I wouldn't worry about using your current parts with the new PSU, because the new PSU should be good and won't fry anything that isn't already fried.

OrbitzXT says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree, but when 2000+ give a 4 or 5 out of 5 then its safe to say its a good product. Aside from W1zzards reviews, I'd rather take the word of hundreds of personal users than a website saying yay or nay. I'm glad I started working recently, I'd be going nuts at home with no PC.

8. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    No PC? Ditto, I'd go bonkers too. :)

I take it your PSU was the Rosewill in the specs? If so, I'd expect your PC was safe when it died. It's usually the cheap and nasty no-names that kill the rest of the PC when they die. And to be fair to them, I've had two of those POS go up in smoke (literally) and they didn't take the PC with them.

I have an Antec that's starting to fail. It began making various annoying squirly noises, so I replaced it in my main PC a while back with the Corsair I have now (see specs). I still use it briefly when running one of my older PCs.

When you next start up your PC with the new PSU however, definitely do it with minimum components. ie unplug all drives and peripherals including the mouse - not the keyboard! Also unplug all fans, except the CPU one.

Leave in just one graphics card (if you have a cheap low-end one handy, use that) and one stick of RAM, so it's basically functional.

Then turn it on and see if you get a picture and the beep. If you do, then plug everything back in, preferably not all at once.

If anything has gone wrong, this will minimize the chance of further damage and hopefully help you to troubleshoot it. Heck, we're always here to help.

Let us know. ;)

OrbitzXT says thanks.
  9. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I gotta say, I love Newegg so much. My PSU came in less than 24 hours from the time I placed the order, and that was with standard "3 day" shipping. Anyway, when I got home from work I swapped out the PSU and everything is up and running again perfectly, no problems at all. Thanks for all the support in this thread.

qubit says thanks.
  10. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hope that rosewell 1000w holds up for you.

Theres 1 rosewell 1000w i know, literally, when you first turn it on, or 2 weeks later, maybe just a tad longer, Makes a load popping noise, Throws big sparks around, and puts smoke in the air, now thats the cheaper of everything on the egg that i see from them...

Some times you get a great power supply from them, some times it dies in less then a month from them, sometimes it dies, kills all the hardware, and puts smoke in the air.

There was another 1000watter from rosewell that was 89 dollars for a while, I read the reviews, I wouldnt take a chance.

Sounds like your fine.

But pray nothing goes wrong, because those 1000w units the cheaper ones, litteraly pop, throw sparks causing fires, and put smoke in the air, thats scary, thats VERY BAD.

11. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received: