1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dead Space

Discussion in 'Games' started by Binge, Oct 22, 2008.

1. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am loving this game. I am on Chapter 3 right now and I am gonna go start playing again :D Pretty scary so far and I have the second level suit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I'm currently stuck on level 10 (End of days, or whatever it was called). I have made it to the shuttle, test-fired the engines and waiting for that mad doctor..

But then nothing more happens, comes about 5-6 monsters..I kill them and that's about it.

Cool game anyway.
    Got my lvl. 5 suit, and the Big Force Gun has a really cool 2:nd fire (wish the reload was faster on it).

3. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Get the regenerating monster behind the ship, use the time stopper thing on him and go activate the engine in that one room.

4. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Very cool, looks to be an awesome game :rockout::rockout::rockout:

Need to get this one............Looks like the story and game play is much better than Left4Dead!

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Still lovin' this game :D Rofl oh btw, dunno if this was posted here already but for those who are having problems with slow mouse ingame and fast on the main menu screen, turn off v-sync, and try.. That helped my mouse in game.

6. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    but if you turn v-sync wony you get the image 'tearing'?

7. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    No? I get 100+FPS average and don't see any tearing.

8. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    yea and you got a 4850:p i wouldn't expect urs tearing but my 2600 would if i turned v-sync of right?

9. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    I don't get tearing and i'm running the game on an older machine, plus I don't mind if there was lol, aslong as I can shoot right and my mouse moves without delay I'm good

10. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    If the refresh rae on your screen is say 60hz,and your gpu can draw more than that,you get tearing.V sync locks the frame rate to your refresh rate so you get a constant 60fps.

My monitors refresh rate is 60hz,if i turn off v sync,i get teraing.I suppose my 4850 can draw a lot more than 60fps at 1440x900 though.

11. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    I think you could cap the fps to 60 somehow. I hate LCD's so I don't really know what tearing is...

12. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    funny you should mention that coz when playing other games with v-sync of on my little lcd moniter it tears but on my 19" widescreen normal telly, CRT i think there called it doesn't seem to do it wonder if its out to do with the different types of telly's or it could just be me:p

13. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if this is already posted, but Id definitely say that the in game Vsync is crap. It caps the game @ 30fps. My solution is to turn that thing off and then use driver level forced vsync on so that tearing will not occur and at the same time a 60 fps cap instead.

in-game Vsync on
    [​IMG]

in-game Vsync off
    [​IMG]

forced vsync on in nvcp
    [​IMG]

Also, having 2 control pads plugged in (an xbox 360 controller and an arcade stick in my case) will make the camera spin on its own. The way to mitigate this is to remove the other USB control pad. Prior to starting the game.

14. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    I have 1 ps2 controller plugged in USB and an arcade stick on another, camera spinning doesn't happen to me tho... :D

15. naokiakira New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got it, so what I did was disabled v-sync ingame but enabled it in my nvidia control panel. still a tiny bit of tearing, but not nearly as much without it on - and no mouse lag ^^

16. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    game is stupid good. Just finished a 2.5 hour session and had to change my underware twice.

17. naokiakira New Member

Thanks Received:
    haha, I know what you mean, game's so wicked.

18. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    the transition from video to gameplay is flawless. Nice and smooth

me likey :rockout:

19. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    i wonder if any1 in the pruduction team of deap space has looked at this thread and thought 'oh yea'
    haha

20. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    just thought I would pass on something I learnt yesterday. I reloaded my os with x64 xp yesterday and then installed Dead Space again but it wouldn't start. It said it couldn't find the d3dx9_38.dll. So I found two of them on the disk and put the one that was 3.67mb in the Dead Space folder and it worked perfectly.

21. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    Dude wtf is wrong with you? Change your avatar now. I don't wanna see stuff like that. You should be banned immediately.

Bjorn_Of_Iceland and EnergyFX say thanks.
  22. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    he's been PM'd. I cant change avatars, but the supermods will if its not fixed by the time they get online.

EnergyFX says thanks.
  23. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    Ban his ass then.

EnergyFX says thanks.
  24. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    again, that would take supermod action. its already been reported, it will get dealt with asap if he doesnt remove it himself.

EnergyFX says thanks.
  25. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought Dead Space yesterday and started playing it. Don't ask me why, but for some reason I opted to install and start playing it on my HTPC with surround and a 42" LCD TV. I only got about half way through the first chapter and suddenly realized that I was sweating shear anxiety at what might be around the next corner.

My wife enjoys watching me play certain games so I decided to stop and restart it when she got home. Well long story short... when I restarted it she made me pause it in less than 15 mins so she could go pour herself a stiff drink just to keep her nerves in tact.

Here is the best story I have to tell so far: The first time one of those little mutated octopus baby freaks latches on to you it made my wife freak out... and then for some insane lunatic of a reason she grabbed me and proceeded to try to hide behind me... which pretty much made me one squeeze short of shitting myself. It was sensory overload!! The game had me so damn worked up and then that little freak jumped out at me and was trying to suck my face off or some shit... and here in the real world I have my wife screaming and latching on to me. My brain lost track of what was game and what was real and pretty much just locked up entirely for a couple of seconds.