1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dead wd6400aaks

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Sasqui, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    NOT Dead WD6400AAKS, but problem drive enclosure

See UPDATE below... seems it's an Antec MX-1 drive enclosure problem...

Go figure, yesterday windows was reporting all sorts of delayed write errors on my WD6400AAKS backup hard drive.

Used WD Lifeguard:

Smart Status and Quick Test OK
    Full Test: After about 15 minute reported "Too Many Bad Sectors to Continue" :banghead:

Checked on WD support site: WD6400AAKS-65A7B0 Out of Limited Warranty 7/5/2011† Upgrade

I thought this drive had a 5-year warrantee when I bought it, or am I dreaming? It's the BLACK version... I have the original receipt fom 6-24-2008 :confused:

I have 2 500 GB Drives I'm going to use as backup for now.

Got to decide on a new drive, any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. Static~Charge

Static~Charge

Thanks Received:
    According to Western Digital, the AAKS series is Caviar Blue, not Caviar Black, and only has a 3-year warranty.

Don't really have a suggestion for a replacement; all hard drives are ridiculously overpriced right now. If you don't have to replace it, I'd wait a few months for the prices to come back down.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
    Sasqui says thanks.
  3. jgrahl

jgrahl New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would wait for prices to go down. Otherwise, the caviar black has the longer warranty that you would desire.

4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I swear it was a "black" model when I bought it, even the label is black (if that makes any difference). What a bitch!

Yea, I'm thinking the two 500GB drive will be my backup till supply comes back up.

5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Update

I didn't mention this in the original post, but the drive was win an MX-1 drive enclosure, connected via eSata.

I had taken the drive out and it was sitting on my desk... decided to plug directly into my MB... ran WD Diag tests and it CAME OUT FINE!

I haven't done any troubleshooting on the MX-1 enclosure (it could be a cabling problem), but I did try USB and it seemed to work fine, though USB 2.0 is way too slow to run full diagnostics. I have the receipt for the enclosure but didn't look at the date (I think I'm in the Antec 3-year window)

More to come...

6. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    I've had similar problem with WD Blue 160GB ATA drive.

Back up info to another drive and use the WD utility to do a full format.

Bad sectors all gone and drive at 100% ok.

7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Yea, this was wasn't quite like that. The drive is 90% full, and I didn't do anything to the drive except take it out of the enclosure and test it again plugged directly into the MB, after that it was fine, no repair neccessary.

I plan to try one of my 500GB drives laying on the desk in the enclosure and see how it behaves. I'd have done it last night, but was decorating a Christmas tree ;P