1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Deaths of many GTX570s

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by MxPhenom 216, Feb 1, 2011.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I am slightly annoyed when people don't do any research or even read the thread before commenting, yes.

As for doing a recall, I already pretty much stated my stance on this, it isn't the cards fault, it is the users fault for pushing it past its limits. It definitely isn't a big deal and nothing to loose sleep over.

As I already said in the thread:

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    well it seems to me you are losing sleep over it. i mean, relax a bit. it is only a tech forum.

3. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    if 570 die even with throttling on, why not blame Nvidia?

4. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I think the problem is this hasn't really been the limit on cards in the past, well actually for any other card out right now. Going by all previous experiences a user like us wouldn't really have a reason to expect this card to be so comparatively weak. So treating it like any other card you could end up with a paper weight. If this is a sign of things to come, less durably constructed cards... well that's worth making noise about in my book.

5. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    How do you go about testing the cards limits? Is it on the box... or do you have to do trial and error to determine the boundaries

6. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    lol i used a bit of software last night that took my i7 920 all the way upto 80 o/c :eek::twitch: and wham the usage to 100% :wtf: seriously i was [​IMG]in it as i had never heard the fan go like that before, ye ye i'm using the stock cooler :ohwell:

but seriously why would anyone risk their expensive gpu for a few microseconds of bragging rights :confused: now i've never heard of 3dmark or W1zz's gpu-z killing a card so :rolleyes:

7. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    i'm confused now.. you oc the cpu then you say why oc a gpu for bragging rights? umm Contradiction i thinks:laugh:

8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's the thing though, it seems that people are disabling voltage throttling then using furmark of all things! They are asking to mess up their cards. I really hope they have to pay for their replacements.

yogurt_21 says thanks.
  9. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:

:laugh: no it's at stock , i was trying a rar password cracker which made it go nuts (didn't crack the password either :banghead:)
    but as i said it seems daft

:ohwell: it's an expensive way to learn that things go pop if ya push e'm to far ;)

i agree, makes me glad i'm not in the gpu manufacturer market :ohwell:

garyinhere says thanks.
  10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Because nVidia isn't telling you to overvolt and overclock the card. Blame nVidia when cards start popping at stock settings.

There certainly has been a limit on cards in the past. Hell, the GTX400 series had a limit of 1.087v, and it could be bypassed up to 1.21v by modding the BIOS. And guess what happens on some GTX470s when you push that limit, the vregs pop...

If you have to ask that question, then you don't do it.

People are forgetting the number one principle with overclocking/overvolting, and I think it is something that has kind of been ignored a lot. When you are overclocking/overvolting you are taking a risk that you are going to kill hardware. You should be prepared to replace anything that you overclock/overvolt.

JATownes says thanks.
  11. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    IMO this is exactly correct. I remember in the AMD K6-II and PII days, T-Birds, etc. you had to do some major mods to certain chip to overclock it effectively. Now that everything is done on a "software" level people think it is meant to be ran that way. We are called enthusiast for a reason. Manufacturers bring their hardware out with certain specs/operating ranges. They DO NOT advertise/market to the public on their ability to overclock for a reason. If you exceed the recommendations, it is AT YOUR OWN RISK! Don't whine afterwards if you screw up your hardware. It is the price you pay to play.

/rant

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    Ev1LrYu and yogurt_21 say thanks.
  12. load81 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol sensational thread title. 3 died under extreme settings with saftey features disabled and it counts as many. Every 570 that dies can't be blamed on this also. If you want to see many look around AMD forums at 6950's artifacting/bricking.

13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was speaking of the end-user. ;)

14. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    agree, some times you read from the start but when post goes above 30 or more maybe it makes us too lazy to read the whole post.
    Sometimes we forgot of something or repeat something :toast:

15. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    If this is really that common for pushing any old card past it's limit then where's the lengthy "Have you killed a 580" thread? Naturally a card will always die here or there, this seems above normal in the 570 case. Otherwise we'd all just be like "hey look at that poor sap who crashed his car!" instead of this "damn that's a bloody pileup" thing we got going on here.

16. zsolt_93

Thanks Received:
    I think the people who originally started this discussion (not here on TPU) wanted to find out the nature of the problem, not to blame anybody of the fault. No stock 570 has blown up so far i think. It's pretty much the same than modding a HD6950 to a 6970 by bios and then seeing it fail (there was a thread about this too). This will always happen if you want more performance from cheaper hardware and you are not sure of the risks, many people who only overclock to say they can brick the card or cpu because they don't know how it really works, they only know that certain things need to be changed in order to make it go faster. This might get wizzard into trouble too because of th disabling of the throttle limiter although it was stated that he will not guarantee anything. It would better be removed from gpu-z to keep those people who only want to show off from failing miserably and then blame it on the manufacturers.

There could be isolated situations when a stock card fails too, but nobody made a problem of it if a card failed without oc. If it was not taken apart you could RMA it whilst you don't know if something has burned and get it replaced, i think these failiures have no links to the death by OC, these are simple defects caused by faulty components.

LE. Here it is also about the power circuitry failnig due to removal of a limitation(power limiter, less phases than gtx580) like the HD6950 (disabled cores, less power supplied and also memory timings). It is simply the fact that you think you could make something better at the same price, but it can not be made without a risk and a compromise, there was a reason for the limiter and the disabled cores, the 6950 is not a 6970 so it could have different memory specs that don't cope with other card's settings.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  17. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I consider the 6950 flashing issue a whole nother beast. We weren't seeing cards die from overclocking we were seeing them die from having incompatible power circuitry and mem timings. People typically don't make massive vram overvolts and timing changes because of how sensitive vram is, with the flashing most didn't realize those settings were changed until it was too late.

18. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    so I guess a GTX480 still is a better deal, with its 6 phase vs 570's 4 phase in terms of endurance. Sans the powerconsumption of course.

yogurt_21 says thanks.
  19. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    But in his case, he just has to read the first post in this thread, and the first post in the source. Things that I think we can all agree should be done before posting comments in a thread.:shadedshu

The GTX580 is designed with better power circuity, and hence can handle being pushed further than the GTX570. I've killed a GTX470 by pushing it past the 1.087v mark recently, you don't see me creating a thread about it and trying to scare people with it.

The only thing we have here is nVidia allowing people to adjust the setting high enough to kill the cards, but it is still the peoples fault for actually doing it. If nVidia had locked the voltage down, like they did with the GTX400 series, then people would have found a way to bypass that limit anyway and the same people would have burnt up their cards just the same.

20. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    if you're like me and like to beat on your hardware, yes the 480 would be more ideal but if you can be gentler the 570 has better heat/power requirments which could lead to longer card life.

so it really depends on how careful you can be. I know I can't hence my 480's lol

21. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    Try not to lose sleep over it.

22. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Good underdog cards imo them 480s. Better quality components because of its enthusiast grade. Id choose those anytime, even now seeing them cheaper than a 570. Had one before, now is on my brother's rig still alive and kickin 800mhz core 24/7 ^_^

yogurt_21 says thanks.
  23. Flibolito

Flibolito

Thanks Received:
    Agreed as badass as the 570s are I'm plenty happy with my 480 its been overclocked for about 10 months but I think temperatures play a role here too. Once the GPUs are overclocked they produce more heat. When they get warmer faster they produce even more heat from added resistance, this compiles and they begin to draw more current which hurts the parts that are dying. The limiter is in place regardless of clockspeed for that reason. Are the 580s holding up better with their added circuitry?

Like Wizz said earlier the GPUs haven't really changed much in the last few years as far as power requirements are concerned. But the gpus overclock so well people are running the circuit boards out of spec and taadaa. I know my GTX 480 has to be drawing well over 300w even if the gpu stays under 45C, so I can imagine if the gpu of a 570 (which is similar) was at 95C+ in furmark and no limiter or other very high stress senario with 2 less Phases.

Like I said before it saddens me to see such a great gpu held back by the power delivery, maybe the 6xx series fermi will have better power delivery and/or a die shrink.

24. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    As the owner of both cards...

I have owned an EVGA GTX 570, MSI HD 6950, and A Saphire Tech 6950. Both 6950s unlocked and overclocked like champs with minimal effort, All three cards have ample overclocking room and were benchmark capable. Running scores above p5600+ in 3dmark 11. In the end I decided to keep my 570, because it seemed noticeably cooler than the 6950, which has Aluminum reinforcement to hold together it's huge PCB.

Both are great cards, It was easily the hardest choice I have had to make in since beginning building Gaming rigs, and even then I am not sure I made the right move. A new 6950 2gb Stock runs eyefinity at high settings with BC2 like its a joke.

Trick is I play WoW 80% of the time so it's almost irrelevant.

Anyone who burned up a 570, HAD to have been using fur mark with out the TDP limiter on in which case, when you either didn't know what you were doing, or you knew full well the possibility and did it anyway.

{JNT}Raptor says thanks.
  25. Jamborhgini313

Jamborhgini313 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So the extra $150 gets you higher quality vrms aswell