1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Deep Black~Thoughts.

Discussion in 'Games' started by mediasorcerer, Dec 4, 2012.

1. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just got this game for 20$ instore here in aus, so far it's turning out to be a reasonable game, reminds me a bit of dead space but it's set in caves underwater for roughly half the game.

It's a traditional shooter with a bit of a twist such as being able to swim underwater in a suit and so far i'm enjoying it for the price i paid. Anyone else playing it i wonder?:)
  2. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    that suit looks similar to the dead space suit
  3. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    It has some good concepts and pretty accurate representation of water flow mechanics, but it's plagued with value game elements. The story, dialog and voice acting are atrocious, and the combat is extremely arcade.

I also agree with one YouTube user review that commented on how much the battles are either too easy or skewed toward the AI. Hacking the underwater bots quite often becomes very difficult since they swarm, and another attacking you can interrupt the hack.

I beat the game on the lowest difficulty level, but it wasn't easy at all to get through some spots.
    There is one particular on rails spot where you're being whisked rapidly through a tunnel full of water and have to dodge obstacles that's just maddening,
    ...and that's just one of many examples.

Even the most glowing review I've read rates it only 7.5/10, and in it he states that Biart intended it to be "an arcade vs hardcore game". The strange thing is, with that casual styling they forgot to give it a casual difficulty. Instead they make Easy feel like you're playing on Hard.

Mind you I am a pretty avid gamer and have challenged myself to beat games like FEAR 1 and Far Cry 1 on the hardest modes no scratch, both of which I've made several videos of. This game however doesn't even compel me to want to play it more than once on the easiest mode.

The average GameRankings.com score for it is only 4.2/10. The Metacritic score is only 3.9/10, and the Metacritic user score only 3.7/10. While I DO feel those scores are too low, I'm not surprised to see them. I would rate it maybe 6.5 - 7.0 out of 10 at best, and that I feel is being generous.

BTW, this game doesn't begin to compare to Dead Space in any way. I know you only mentioned the look of the suit, but reading that I just had to comment that Dead Space blows this game out of the water, and not just in the drastic difference of settings.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    mediasorcerer says thanks.
  4. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I started it on the hardest setting, like i always do with games, boy, what a stresssful headache this 20$ has cost me, ridiculously hard in some spots, im 4-5ths way through just about to give up now, never done that before. aaaarrrrggggh, stupid game!!!!!
  5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I can't imagine how many checkpoint reloads that would entail. I played it through on the easiest mode, then got about a 1/4 through on the next mode and the first real tough section reminded me there were even tougher ones ahead, so I shelved it.
  6. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Eh, 3rd person games. Made for console junkies. Only game on PC that i loved in 3rd person was Tomb Raider but we all know why (for those who don't, Lara is hawt).

1st person is just much more immersive and gives the feeling like you're actually there. I'd love to re-play Dead Space in first person. Just as i'd like to play Tomb Raider in Mirror's Edge gameplay style.