• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Deep Learning Super Sampling Questions (RTX series)

System Name Every cuss word I can think of, and a few more I've made up
Processor Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Tuf B550-PLUS
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition, Corsair Commander Core XT with six LL120s
Memory 2x16 DDR4-3200 Patriot Viper 4 Blackout PV432G320C6K
Video Card(s) Asus KO-RTX3060ti-8GB-OC
Storage 1TB WD Blue SN570 PCIe3 M.2, 8TB WD Black 8TB HDD, Pioneer BDR-212DBK
Display(s) 75" Hisense A6, 23" Dell ST2310
Case Fractal Pop XL Air, black on black
Audio Device(s) Realtek Onboard Audio, Digitech RP-250, Yamaha DGX-205
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech K520
Keyboard Logitech K520
Software LibreOffice, BeamNG.drive, Classic Doom and variants, ATS, NCH VideoPad, OBS Studio, MPC-HC, iCUE
Benchmark Scores CB R23: Multi-Core 21539 - Single Core 1592 *PBO Auto, GPU no OC, room for improvement?*
So this is potentially either a really stupid noob question, or just some unexpected behavior of an oddball rig. For those unfamiliar, my rig is a 5900X with Scythe Mugen 5, Asus Tuf B550-Plus, 2x16 Patriot Viper 4 Blackout DDR4-3200, 1TB WD Blue SN570, Asus KO RTX3060ti 8GB OC, and ElGato 4K60-Plus. 75" HDTV display. I mostly play American Truck Simulator and BeamNG.drive.

Those who are familiar know that this machine has driven me nuts since building it Mar 2022. Straight out the gate, I had random no video POST, which turned out to be non-QVL'd RAM incompatibility. After swapping that, I still had issues.

Knowing nothing of DLSS or that my card could do it, I presumed 4K was best, and while ATS / BeamNG looked good and played okay, Afterburner often showed my GPU at 99%... (using about half the VRAM). I eventually discovered that 1440p could look nearly as good with some tweaking. I’ve had this card for 18 months now, and while I’d heard about DLSS, no one had told me how this worked or to use these resolutions or even how to -- and that 1080p and 1440p were the way to go.

Now, at 1440p, It ran decent, and even though ATS looked great and managed 125-250 FPS at 1440p with 125-150% scaling, with mostly medium settings (SMAA / SSAO / reflective / shadow detailing on ultra), but I'd noticed some 'segmenting' of the refresh in certain camera views, as if updating in thirds or fourths, regardless of scaling percentage. Somewhat lackluster performance, so even though I had no intentions of paying $1000+ for a 3080 / 3090, I was seriously considering an upgrade.

Nvidia's most recent driver update had me calling them Nvidiots. I developed further performance issues and ATS no longer displayed menu background images with scaling above 25%. It seems as though the new driver effectively disabled DLSS and some other settings. Strangely, BeamNG was unaffected. After discovering and correcting this per a YT video, I found a very happy medium with ATS at 3482x1836 (DLSS-specific resolution?), 60 hz, managing 125-250 fps with 150% scaling and mostly medium / high settings. Previously, my 75” screen had experienced fuzziness and jaggedness that drove me nuts at anything less than 4k.

Interestingly, earlier tonight, the GPU usage, thermals and FPS are EXTREMELY low compared to before. Afterburner now showed the GPU at 30% (with 150% scaling) but was running at 30 FPS, and without the previous segmenting issues. I decided to go for broke and cranked everything wide-open. HOLY SH-T. ATS has NEVER looked this good on my machine. No display glitches or performance degrade, thermals are also great, nothing over 60C, even with the 5900X boosting to 5.0. FPS still hovering around 30-31, however.

A later session in the same game gave the same amazing improvement graphics-wise, but showed the GPU working much harder, 98-99%, with about 45-72 FPS output. And the segmented refresh was back.

Personally, I could care less about showing a low FPS if it doesn't affect gameplay or detail. But what gives? Is DLSS some holy grail as far as detail and performance? Why are my load % and FPS all over the place now? And why does the sectional refresh come and go? It's almost like I cancelled out the DLSS when I cranked up the scaling. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Lower FPS with higher detail and resolution I can understand, but running better with higher detail while reporting crap framerates? FPS doesn't seem to be affected by much of anything in 3482x1836. Did Nvidia finally unlock my GPU’s full potential with a new resolution in this driver update, or did it just take me 18 months to get the right info to make it do what it could have done all along? And why was my FPS suddenly cut by 200% with no noticeable performance difference?

Last edited: