1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Defragging programs and RAID0... or Vistax64?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Black Panther, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was not sure how to word the title because I don't know where the issue is, if there is one.

On my desktop I use Piriform Defraggler. The operating system is XP SP3 x86 and I've got 2 HDD's which run independently (no raid). After I defragment, I either get the message that there are no more fragmented files, or else I have only a few MB of fragmented files.

I was using the same Piriform Defraggler on notebook in system specs.
    Many files don't get defragged at all, the defragging ends and I still have between 25 and 32 GB of fragmented files:eek:, which is an enormous amount! Practically most of the little squares showing the sectors are coloured red!

It isn't because of a space problem, I have 200GB free HDD space.

Is it because of Vista? Or because of a 64 bit system? Or because of the Raid0 (I guess with Raid0 every file has to have at least 2 fragments?)

Do you suggest another defragmenting program which might work better in my case?

Thanks! :)

2. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've noticed this too in vista, only just started using defraggler cause I don't like vista's defrag, and I notice only a small portion of the red becomes defragged.

3. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thinking they're system files and won't be moved....Anyone else?

4. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmmm, good guess, my data drives do respond better, and vista has more system files than xp right? What about you black panther, have you noticed any difference w/ data drives?

5. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    My favorite combo has always been Contig and Power Defragmenter GUI (DL from Softpedia or Major Geeks).

Drag Contig into the Power Defragmenter GUI folder and run. Small, fast and very effective!

I used to use Paragon Partition Manager, but it takes FOREVER. The plus side is: you KNOW it is reorganizing the actual files, not just the MBR.

Black Panther and farlex85 say thanks.
  6. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    So it is Vista the culprit, and not the RAID...

And even Vista x86 does it? I was thinking it was maybe a x64 compatibility problem.

Data drive? You mean a drive which doesn't have the OS installed on it? If so, I don't have a data drive to test out. I got just the 2 x 160GB in RAID0.

Huh, I wonder if there's a better defragger for Vista. I'll be checking yours out Dr Spankenstein.

7. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Well, your title could be something like "looking for the cause of a fragmented drive". It's not that hard to make up titles.

RAID obviously isn't the cause since you said you weren't using it. Vista or any ther 64 bit OS shouldn't be the cause either, as they have nothing to do with the filesystem. I'
    d say use another defrag program.

8. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    @Dan, don't the system files regardless of what OS you're using stay in the same sectors after defragging though? That's always been my understanding.......

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  9. warhammer New Member

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know red Blocks are none movable system files and swap file.
    regardless of defrag program they dont move but I could be wrong..

10. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    You mean green *hugz* :toast:

11. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Most of the defraggers doesn't work well with vista x64, don't know bout the 32 bit variant but Ultimate Defrag from disktrix works well with vista... Although the color schemes are different, or user set... It defragments vista drives ok for me... Although it ain't freeware it's good... It also identifies most frequently used files and optimizes it... Also you could set prioritized folders for optimum access times. :D

Black Panther says thanks.
  12. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Not if English isn't your native language.
    Yes I know it isn't yours either, as the following illustrates:

I am using RAID0.

Since I have approximately 75GB of used-up HDD space, and RAID0 makes it that the data is striped, wouldn't it automatically mean that since every file has alternating pieces on both disks, then Defraggler would read nearly all the used-up HDD space as fragmented? I have 32GB of fragmented files... and incidentally 75/2= 37.5

@warhammer -- 32GB of non-moveable files and swap file seems a bit huge?

13. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    So when you speak another language you can't think of a description? In Swahili the description would be the same in meaning. The only thing that could go wrong is bad spelling/grammar or even choice of words.

Good job, if you feel it is useful to bash my English because you claim conflicting things I'm done trying to help out.

14. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I use Ultimate Defrag and i all so do dual boot witch allows me to fully defrag a drive with a OS on it.

EDIT: Which allows me to put files were i want them.

15. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    [on track]

Granted I have never used Vista64 plus my RAID was a Intel Matrix Raid (software), but my combo has worked wonderfully in XP and Vista HP.

Any update on if it worked for you?

16. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Worked somewhat for me. Still like 10gb of fragmentation as reported by defraggler, but that's better than I was getting before. Thanks.

Dr. Spankenstein says thanks.
  17. DiskeeperRep New Member

Thanks Received:
    Defrag and RAID

Hi Black Panther,
    Permit me a comment:) : the windows file system sees RAID0 as a single volume and not separate drives. The actual distinction between the two individual drives is made at the RAID controller level. So a defragmenter (atleast Diskeeper does) defrags RAID0 just as it would a single drive. For this, an understanding of how NTFS writes/reads a file to the array is useful.

Without taking up any more bandwidth, I will refer you to two short, but informative white papers on the subject at the Diskeeper website.

http://downloads.diskeeper.com/pdf/new-storage-technologies.pdf
    and
    http://files.diskeeper.com/pdf/FileFragmentation_SANsNASandRAID.pdf

I hope this helps in shedding some light on the issue of RAID and defrag.:toast:

Best regards

Black Panther says thanks.
  18. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Of course I can think of a description, the difficulty lies in expressing it in a foreign language.

I stated:
    in my first post to apologise beforehand if the title was not clear enough. What's so wrong with that?

Thanks for the suggestion, but just in case you forgot you were one of the mods adamantly against giving the option to regular members to change/amend thread titles, so there is nothing at all I can do about it.:confused:

And please don't accuse me of giving conflicting information in my first post.

Dan, I don't know why you take my comments so personally... :(
    I'm not that n00b as to not know if I have a raid array or not. It's not that difficult to read all the words in a post isn't it?

Please, I do appreciate your help but then I also feel that I have the right to insist that I am correct when I am in fact correct, especially when others take a patronising attitude...

:ohwell: