1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Deleted file restore software.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by suraswami, Jul 18, 2008.

1. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    I want a good File or HDD recovery software. Free would be ideal but cheap good ones would be fine.

I used Cobian backup to backup all my virtual servers and test files. I wanted to build raid, so I copied 2 x 160GB drives (total 80GB) to my server which has 1TB using the software. After copying the files I built raid on those 2 drives moving to another machine. Now when I go back to my server all the files are gone. Probably my mistake, didn't quiet understand the software and hit the wrong settings.

Now my question is can I get back all those files? I haven't formatted the drives on my server.

I tried couple of trial software, but they need huge amount to activate and restore those files.

Anyone know of free or under $30 please let me know.

2. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I get it.

Just to confirm - So you had 2x 160's. Copied 80GB worth of stuff off them and put that onto your server.

Then you built a RAID array on those two drives (so all data is gone off them).

Now how did the data get removed from your server? Did it copy in the first place? Or did you accidentally delete it or something?

3. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    The stupid backup software has 4 options. Full, Differential, Incremental and don't remember the other. The help said almost the same for Diff and Incre. The first time it runs it will anyway do a full backup. So I chose Diff. So it did a full backup. I confirmed the files are sitting on my server. Then when I removed the 160 drive, it thought the drive is no longer available or files are deleted at source so it deleted. Bad thing is I left the software running.

4. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh.

So your running the backup software from the server and not the computer.

Yep I see whats happened. Just for the future (althought I am sure you wont make the same mistake again) make sure you select and option that says "if it cant find the file, DONT delete". If it doesnt have that option...switch to SynbackSE.

An FYI: difference between incremental and differential is that differential copies all new / changed files since the last full backup......incremental copies all new / changed files since the last backup no matter what it was (incremental/full/differential).

Now to get your files back:

Tried a system restore on the server?

5. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    active@ undelete is the best IMHO - bu ti think there are varying prices

6. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Shute I never thought about system restore. But its been more than a week now, don't know if I can go back that far. But even then will it put back user files?

7. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I cant remember if it recovers old files OR leaves new files on the computer even after you do the restore. I havent used it in a while.

8. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
  9. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received: