1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell 3008WFP 30-inch Display to Support Displayport and HDMI

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Nov 13, 2007.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dell's 3007WFP-HC successor, the 3008WFP is on display today. What will be interesting to know about this new model has to be its backside. There you'll find DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA, component video, two DVI ports, S-Video, composite, and USB upstream connector (for 4-port USB hub and 9-in-2 card reader), certainly more than you'll ever need. No word on what other specs and price are, but it's likely to sport the same 2560x1600 native wide resolution. Also, the video processing chip in the monitor will enable decent resolution scalability, so you will be able to use 2560x1600, 1920x1200, 1920x1080, 1680x1050 and all other often used resolutions.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Source: The INQUIRER

2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Very nice input options. I wonder if they are gonna stick with the S-IPS panel? Would be a shame if they tried to cheap out, and go with TN-Film or similar.

3. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    "DisplayPort is a new digital display interface standard put forth by the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA). It defines a new license-free, royalty-free, state-of-the-art digital audio/video interconnect, intended to be used primarily between a computer and its display monitor, or a computer and a home-theater system." from wiki.

If someone was as "stupid" as I and didn't know what the fuss about displayport is and why HDMI wasn't enough :) Guessing HDMI is not then license-free or royalty-free.

It's the number 7 connector in the pic, 8 is HDMI.

edit: real nice connections, but it misses SCART to be fully TV & monitor replacement in one. Sure if you have a digital receiver with HDMI/component output then it works. No HD broadcasts in Europe yet, so those receivers are very few (at least here, we just went digital).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  4. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    HDMI? DisplayPort? You mean people actually watch movies and stuff on thier computers?

Huh ... takes all kinds, I guess ... Now back to playing games. :D

On topic, I have the original 30" and I am very pleased with it. I run everything at 2560x1600 and if frames drop I reduce eye candy, not resolution. But that's just me.

5. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    :eek: nice

6. evil bill New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can get Sky HD in the UK (Satellite), or did you mean on terrestrial broadcasting?

7. hv43082

Thanks Received:
    So is there a trade up program like EVGA? I am willing to cough up another 3 bills or so to exchange my old 30" for this beast.

8. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    What would be nice Wile E is if they go with OLED or LED displays. Dell has something similar offered for their notebooks (at a cost of $300 to $400 USD extra) for their displays. Seeing them in action, the displays are actually very nice, crisp and very creative. The colors are amazing. Would be nice to see them work that technology into these displays, given the gamut of options you have.

9. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can get Canal+ with satellite in HD here too, but ment the national channels with DVB-T or DVB-C =) Like US has ABC, NBC, FOX, etc in HD. But you in England are ahead, we might get some HD broadcasts in 2010. Right now we'd need more bandwith, some programs run under 4Mbits/sec and look absolutely horrid even on my 32" =)