1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell and their 100 versions of Wireless laptop drivers

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Ozpa, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone!

After getting a new Dell laptop I stumbled upon the same problem I had with my Vostro 1500 years ago - Dell has too many drivers versions for wireless adapter listed on their site. I entered the service tag of the product and it still gives me 4 different versions of the drivers for my Dell Inspiron N5010:

Intel Intel (R) WiMAX Link 6250

Intel Intel (R) WiFi Link 6250

Intel Intel(R) WiFi Link 6200

Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000

How do I know which version is the right one? I tried checking the drivers for any kind of version number of designated product version to no avail. Same goes for exploring the question-mark missing driver part on the system.

I just don't understand, WHY, why Dell does that? I even asked another buddy who owns a Dell laptop and he also had to figure out the right drivers for his laptop too.

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well when i check for mine on the DELL site i get about 4-5 but only one is for my laptop. Look in device manager to see what the card is called. They just use more than one kind of card for the laptop thats all.. Is sad that they do not keep a better record though.

3. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Ok I found it.

I did a search on their site for the my laptop's Service Tag and could find my laptop's specs with the exact Wifi card model and from there I knew which drivers to download.

What boggles me is why they don't make a filter in their downloads section for the service tag. Even though I entered my Service Tag I still got drivers for many wifi card models.

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It is only 4.

Pick one, install it, if it doesn't work try the next one. But first it might help to try to use a little detective work to narrow down the list.

Unless you paid extra for a special card, and you should know this, it isn't the N card so you can eliminate that from the options right away.

If you didn't pay extra for a WiMax card, again you can eliminate thay one as well. That leaves 2 options.

Now since both options are really the same driver, that leaves really only one option. See, simple.:D

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    go to dells web site and pick upgrades then enter your serial number(service tag) and it will show all upgrades and patches and drivers too I believe.