1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Can't Take Criticism

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hood, Nov 2, 2012.

1. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Hood, depending on the mod that read your post, I don't think they actually removed it because you were criticizing their product.
    The things that I believe got your post removed.

1. You were talking about hacking.
    While this may seem unimportant, a lot of tech forums, especially brand name company ones, don't like talk about hacking their products. They don't like it because it circumvents their control over their own products, and therefore, may cost them customers.
    Educated consumers are difficult to deal with and wont fall for their BS.

2. You wrote PITA. Whichever way you meant it ;), more often than not it actually means what the acronym implies. Which clearly is a violation of their ToS.

So yeah, it sounds like the mod was really anal, but you must remember that they're only looking out for their own best interest.
    vagxtr, qubit and Hood say thanks.
  2. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    Hood says thanks.
  3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Sorry about the poitical rant. Ive been listending to too much talk radio. Anyway I have modified a few old dells. Inspite there priatary ways. It fun and is very satisfiyng. But the new Dells use off the shelf stuff. But the parts are crap.
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I like Dell.
    Liquid Cool says thanks.
  5. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Sorry about that, I do get worked up sometimes over corporate greed, but I don't hate every tech company. Sometimes the best companies get complacent and need a fire lit under them to make sure they're paying attention. I also get tired of recommending components to people who haven't done enough research to even understand what I'm talking about. So I try to come up with posts that stimulate interesting discussions concerning hardware problems that others may have experienced. I don't make stuff up to get my point across, although I may exaggerate at times, like all humans. If this is a problem, I will try to tone it down a bit. Again, sorry if any of my posts bothered you. The companies I like are Asus, Intel, Corsair, Patriot, and Seasonic, because I believe that they all try to give their customers what they want, as opposed to heavily marketing utter crap and calling it "enthusiast grade" or whatever. Even so, I criticize those companies just as readily when I perceive a problem with one of their products. It's our only weapon as consumers who are tired of shoddy and dangerous products, to let our voices be heard.
  6. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I must have forgotten what forum I was in, I was just being honest and trying to tell the guy that his gear would live a lot longer in a case with airflow, as any enthusiast will tell you. I forgot I was on Dell's forum, where no Dell-bashing is allowed, and no potentially offensive acronyms. My bad.
  7. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Those aren't the only forums to be like that though. I got an infraction at OCN once for talking about hackintoshes.
    And even today I got an infraction over at [H] for "thread crapping" after I said "Apple products suck you into the realm of stupid."
    It'd be nice if the rules were more specific.
  8. Arctucas

Arctucas

Thanks Received:
    Yes, PITA is a 'violation', but other than that, I see nothing wrong with your post.

Except, you spoke the truth. A truth Dell cannot handle.

However, I would opine that you must share equally in the blame, for it was you who purchased their lame crap.
  9. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It's just not Dell... they all do it and it even seems Microsoft has just joined the treadmill cycle. No one builds anything to last anymore... How the hell can you feed greedy share holders unless you build a product that has a short life cycle in any term from obsolete to just cheap manufacturing to make them upgrade? Gone are the days of a product built to last and now no sooner than you buy something a newer version is about to come out. Thus the product itself can still be viable but you'll need to upgrade because it's no longer supported or end of life.... excuse my rabble
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
    vagxtr, STCNE and phanbuey say thanks.
  10. Frick

Thanks Received:
    That is thread crapping. I sometimes wish they were stricter here.
  11. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Dude, you're gettin a Dell!
  12. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    It really wasn't. The guy asked whether he should sell his high end PC and get an iMac to run Apple TV.

So I replied

If that was all that I wrote, then sure but it was only a small portion and relatively insignificant.
  13. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    I'm not going to defend Dell, it's not my job...:). Although, I've purchased 100's of items from them without hassle. I've probably spoken to a 1000 of their customer service reps as well. They've always bent over backwards for me. Follow-up phone calls etc...I like the company.

Just my experience with them. Not 100% positive by any means, but not bad either...overall I'd say better than most, and frankly I'm more of an HP guy in terms of business quality notebooks/desktops/workstations, but I've purchased a helluva lot of monitors and dozens of laptops from them...and for the most part I've been taken care of. When I wasn't pleased...they went out of their way to work it out to my benefit.

As an example. They recently screwed up an order of mine. When the order came in...there was an extra laptop along with it. I called to inquire.

It was the apology.

Best,

Liquid Cool
  14. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps that would be because you buy in volume. Only a true idiot would treat a buyer of 100 items badly. Dell most likely keeps record of purchases in their system for long periods of time. I would like to see how they treat those not close to them in customer service first. As a customer I have had no issues with Dell. HP has better customer service but I hardly ever need to use customer service. I think how a company treats its employees may be a better way to gauge its ethics. Foxconn of course would be one of the worst in that scale. But hey, thats China for you.

I have never trusted company based forums personally. It is like using arbitration to negotiate with a company. They come to the discussion with a loaded deck and make you conform to their rules. It is hardly fair. But it is the standard of company forums to censor all that they find undesirable. Imagine Newegg product ratings if they allowed companies to censor bad reviews. Nobody would trust Newegg for its ratings then.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    vagxtr says thanks.
  15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Banstick Dummy

Thanks Received:
    Yes you did. Their forum. Their rules. Its not productive for them to keep such a post on their forum and its not a democracy. Its a dictatorship that you are allowed to visit. TPU is no different except we don't have a product and our mods are more laid back.
    Hood and Jetster say thanks.
  16. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Last summer I ordered a monitor from them, and then changed my mind about it prior to the order being fulfilled by the warehouse. The customer service rep told me that if it did ship she would put a stop on the delivery with FedEx. A few days later she called to tell me that she was unable to stop the shipping at the warehouse level, but had intercepted it with FedEx and it would be returned to them. She also told me she had reversed the charge on my credit card. The entire time she was very professional and friendly, even though I was cancelling the ordered since I got a better deal at Amazon (which I told her). As far as a PC goes I've only had one - a 1999 Dimension and it was literally a tank. Couldn't really upgrade it, but at the time I didn't care. After I retired it I began building my own since I had learned most pre-built PCs have proprietary parts, and that no longer suited my needs since I had begun PC gaming.

Basically, Dell is fine in my opinion and serves a market for people who really aren't into PC hardware - they just want to pull a PC out of a box that will suit their average needs for a few years. As far as them being overly pedantic at their company run forum about criticism or language - well, that's their prerogative.
  17. Frick

Thanks Received:
    You could have said that without thread crapping (saying that about Apple, if not thread crapping it's flamebait).

And about Dell/Insert company name being greedy: That is one of the most stupid arguments there is. Almost all companies on earth are there to make a profit. They want to make money to make the shareholders happy. If they can please customers on the way that's just a bonus. They all do that, and if you plan on boycotting every company you thing is "greedy" you might as well kill yourself right away.
  18. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've purchased quite a few Dell systems at work. They have been very reliable and I have no real complaints with Dell. There are both advantages and disadvantages to purchasing pre-built systems.

Advantages:
    - While under warranty, you have a single point of support for any part in the system. They will get you parts or fix the computer the next business day. I've had Dell give me a whole new (and better) system because their tech could not fix the issue with the failing one.
    - There lower end machines, for basic business desktop use, are very inexpensive. In many cases I cannot build a system of similar specs for as little as I can get them from Dell or HP. One of the reasons for this is that I cannot bring myself to buy less than top quality components even if the overall use of the system does not require them. I blame TPU. :D

Disadvantages:
    - They come loaded with crapware. This can be removed, but it takes time.
    - They are designed to just meet the requirements for the parts in them. While you can upgrade them, many times you will run into issues with airflow/cooling or adequate power.

Anyone who is familiar with computers would be aware of these things and take all things into consideration prior to making a decision on the purchase.
    For a high end machine, it's crazy to buy a prebuilt as they charge a fortune for the high end stuff and you can easily build one for considerably less. The same goes for servers or CAD workstations.

As for Dell's response in their forums, they do not want people hacking the machines because if someone does not know what they are doing and screws it up they are going to go back to Dell for support. At that point Dell is going to tell them to take a hike because they hacked the system, and the person will be pissed off because they saw it on Dell's own forums. As for the language (even acronyms like PITA), it is completely up to them what they want to allow. It's a free service, and they are footing the bill.

You have to remember that the freedom you are allowed here on TPU is the exception, not the rule. ;)
    vagxtr and Frick say thanks.
  19. flyin15sec

flyin15sec

Thanks Received:
    Last year Dell came in and made a sales pitched that pretty much saved us about $1400 on our server builds.

We swapped to all Dell Servers from HP last August 2011. Within this last year, we've had over 30 Dell service calls on their servers, with only 2 HP service calls. The Dells are all new, the HPs are all older than Dell. You'd think that the older stuff would break more often.

We have 300 HP servers, 100 Dell servers. The ratio does not look good. On one weekend, we came in and had 5 Dell servers with amber display.

Last month we canned Dell and started buying HPs again.
  20. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    I can believe that...we ordered a $400,000 dollar compellent SAN and they 1. shipped late, and then AFTER they shipped, called me to tell me that we did not have enough fiber cables or active ports on the switches that came with it. (they configure that piece, or were supposed to based on our specs).

That's like me buying a $400,000 car and then having the car company call me after they shipped it to tell me that there were not enough spark plugs in the engine...
  21. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    The only Dell servers I have are pretty old, but still running fine. I cannot comment on their new servers as I've built the last four myself and will be removing the last Dell server from service soon. It's a small shop so we only have four servers.

Just out of curiosity, what has been failing on the new Dell servers?
  22. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    And that is why not to buy a Dell (aside from they suck - had plenty of experience with their crappy computers)
  23. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    It completely depends on what you need. My next door neighbor bought a Dell i3 AIO for his wife (who does nothing but surf and play hearts) and she loves it. It's very responsive to her as she does not do anything that requires any real power. They are retired and basically on a fixed income, so a low cost computer fit their needs perfectly.

I recently purchased 3 HP low-end i3 desktops for a project a work. They do nothing but access an RDS, so they to have no real need for any power. They too work fine for what I need them to do.

I will be updating some old desktops in the near future and I will likely purchase Dell or HP. They are a good, cost effective solution for what I need.
  24. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Never bought a Dell, let's not be silly. All were hand-me-downs or dumpster fodder. One of them was from my Dad, who paid over $3000 for his Dimension 8400 in 2006, only to suffer a fried PSU and motherboard 2 years later. I "fixed" it by replacing everything but the Pentium 4 3.4 GHz and the hard drive. Don't know why it cooked, because the 8400 has a tall heatsink and a 92mm Delta fan that pushes 160 CFM at 6000 rpm. Actually, it probably overheated the motherboard VRM & chipset from a serious lack of airflow in the stupid clamshell case. But I would never buy a Dell product; it was hard enough to get rid of the ones I had!
  25. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Pre-Builts are hard to upgrade?

NO WAY... your joking me right? I dont believe you... Why dont you go troll the manufacturers forum then troll them on another forum when they rightfully ban you.. Just so you can prove a point..

F off with this shenanigans.

Also learn how to copy and paste emails so that its less confusing to read.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
    MT Alex says thanks.