1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Can't Take Criticism

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hood, Nov 2, 2012.

1. flyin15sec

flyin15sec

Thanks Received:
    In particular we got the most common failure of E2110 Multibit memory error. The hard thing about this error, it is not always memory that is bad. It could be the cpu, or the memory slot also.

Edit: our models are R710 and R610

2. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Nothing illustrates this better than the PC market. It's always been a race against time to enjoy your high-priced up-to-the-minute technology before the next generation makes it as obsolete as 8-track tapes. Seriously, it's like, no matter how fast your current rig is, next year's gear will make you think about upgrading, and two years in you're cursing your computer for a slow piece of crap. So we now have so much computing power and graphics overhead, the average gaming rig could launch SpaceShipOne without too much trouble.

3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is what they pound into your head with marketing. Not the reality.
    With the reviews on TPU we can easily assess what X hardware will do with current games and applications.
    It's always nice to be on the cutting edge of new hardware, but there is no reason you have to be there unless you want to be.

Interesting. Are the memory slots full? I wonder if this is a power issue.

4. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:

qubit says thanks.
  5. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    That's pretty cool! I like some of Dell's offerings; if all you need is a basic business machine, theirs are as solid as anyone else's. It's when they try to build machines with any decent CPU and GPU, they don't seem to understand that it requires a much better cooling solution, and the problems abound. And of course, if you are buying in quantity, any company will treat you better. But for people like my Dad, who's 84 now, Dell was a bad choice. Dad is the opposite of computer-savvy; he struggles with it constantly. So when Dell sold him a Dimension 8400 with Windows Vista 64 bit installed, it was a disaster. For a $3000+ investment, he had nothing but problems from day one (mostly from Vista's driver debacle, but the hardware had it's problems as well). It finally cooked the motherboard and PSU, and he sent it to me for possible resurrection. When I removed the CPU, I noticed 2 bent pins in the LGA 775 CPU socket, so I'm surprised the thing ran at all even when it was new.

6. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    So stop complaining. Its really a waste of time. You have a choice. Just don't use Dell. Use a company that has beliefs inline with what you want. Their not going to listen to you and your not going to convince others. Dell has some of the best prices and that's how they achieve them. The exact reason I don't shop at Walmart. They are absolutely scum and treat there employees like crap. But in a pinch you really cant beat the prices

Anyway back to your complaint about Dell and the proprietary parts. Here is one of my Dell mods.
    I had to change the ends on the front panel plug and USB. The only thing original is the case and one fan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  7. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    How well I know that feeling! It's hard to buy crap, knowing what you know, but sometimes it's the best route. The last Dell I had, a Dimension 3000 with a P4 2.8 and 512MB RAM, came to me gratis due to it's having a dead power supply, and I fixed it with a 300 watt unit that cost me $12 at CompUSA. The $12 unit looked twice as good as the dead one it was replacing, and had two quiet 80mm fans that improved the airflow of the case. That old PSU looked like it cost Dell about 5 dollars. So yeah, you probably can't build one as cheap as they can, but it might last you longer.

vagxtr says thanks.
  8. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    I know all that, but the point is to share this kind of knowledge and stimulate healthy discussions. When I started this thread I had little knowledge of the ways of company forums, and I have learned a lot from you and many others, and shared some humorous anecdotes about our experiences. Isn't that the purpose of these forums? If someone just wants to blow off a little steam, isn't it our place to sympathize with him, as we would want to be sympathized with when our pet peeves need airing. And I don't really choose to use Dell, people just keep giving me their dead Dells for free, and I usually already have whatever spare parts are needed to fix one, and that has caused me to form certain opinions, some good, some bad. If my posts are not interesting to you, you can always skip them, or just laugh at them privately, but please!, don't make me stop!

STCNE, Jetster and qubit say thanks.
  9. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Just a little bit of info, Hood... Try using the "Multi-Quote" button (at the bottom right hand side of each post box) and not double posting.

Thanks, as it makes for a cleaner thread and is spoken to in the forum guidelines.

Hood says thanks.
  10. flyin15sec

flyin15sec

Thanks Received:
    Yes, all the memory slots are full. I'm almost certain it is power related too. The strange thing is, the HP servers doesn't seem to be affected.

11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    some people started throwing insults in their posts, dont.

gone for a bit of an edit spree and removed the stuff i saw, dont let me find any more.

dude12564 and 95Viper say thanks.
  12. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Mine wasnt that insulting... maybe towards people with down syndrome to be compared to the op

13. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its never a good idea to throw in insults about race, gender, or medical condition.

qubit says thanks.
  14. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    im playing devils advocate and i honestly dont really care about this thread. but seeing as iphones major producer is foxconn which isnt an american company to begin with and iirc the world leader on most perphial components id honestly like to know how the iphone was out sourced considering foxconn is probably the only manufacturer on the planet that can meet apples volume demands.

15. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    @Hood

I agree with your OP.

A company which applies this kind of blatant censorship doesn't put them in a good light and ends up having a bad rep. Much better to address legitimate complaints, or perhaps ignore them if you have to, but don't censor them. Most companies however, will apply censorship, which is why I don't bother being a member of their forums. Excuses about it being a dictatorship don't wash.

I got censored once on a tech site similar to TPU for simply talking about the Asus MARS card (GTX 285 based one). I was brand new to that forum too. The thread was doing well and I hadn't broken any rules, yet the thread just disappeared without warning a couple of days later. I asked the founder why it had been deleted and he gave me some snotty reply about not promoting the competition because I'd linked to a review on another site. However, this site didn't have a review and didn't plan on having one, either. Yeah, alright mate, whatever. :rolleyes: Complete asshole. I never went back and last time I looked, that site isn't doing great. Not hard to see why.

TPU don't ever pull stunts like this, so no wonder we're doing well. :toast:

Hood says thanks.
  16. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Now you're just misreading. I said all companies are out to make a profit, not that they are all the same. Good PSU's are more expensive because they are better, plus they have to make a profit. Do you think Seasonic sell PSU's at a loss? Companies can and do produce good stuff, but the main point is still to make a profit. It's why unprofitable companies (without external backup) go under. Very very very few companies survive on goodwill alone (because that is not how the world works).

@qubit: You're comparing an internet forum to physical produce. Vastly different things.

17. vagxtr

Thanks Received:
    Although I couldn't agree more with you on that matter of corporate weasley michief, I'd like to point out that same leitmotif was sneaking thru some old westerns (eg. Broken Lance [1954], Cimarron [1931]) which characterized people that were incentive seed of corporatism you claim suddenly arisen in last two decades. And those were politically correct westerns of their time. So i honestly don't see necessity for burning a crosses just now, when some Dell is just stick to what is common practice for centuries. They're in business of doing business and they do not stick to same Morality Code they preach out in their Dell Corporation Responsible Workers Guidebook.

(btw i dont buy dells because they're overpriced comparing it to hp)

Nope they fail because its a modern days MO. They use same sharky business they used in the late 19th century just this time ""corporativism"" & ""free market"" is not just on New York investment in Latin Colonies went south scale. It just polluted the whole world. Look just on that chico Chavez, he's just selling like Dell while bolting pockets with our money (khm Del/whatever) and you mark them communist dictator (whatever) while its just plain simple Corporationalist running country corporation for his private trust. You should look out of your box occasionally and you'd see that there are same corporate rednecks everywhere just selling different brand :D.

Hehe you're so right there. But what a heck it most important thing that they feel great not their customer. After all they can fu off by saying hey you can address our forum for support. And you can hang out there for days. And they're know your (customer) a quitter when facing ultimate wall of crap.

18. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    It may possibly be flame bait, but from my experience with Apple products, it rings true. Their user interfaces are soooo dumbed down that it's not intuitive and a resource heavy bloated pig. And mind you, throughout my life, I've used Apple products more than I've used PC's, so I'm speaking from experience and not some fanboyish hate standpoint.

As for Apple being greedy,well, they are. I know every company is profit driven, however, Apple drops support for products that aren't even 2 years old. That, to me, is being unnecessarily greedy. My kid was given a 1 year old iPod touch and after 6 months it was obsolete and couldn't be updated to the new OS and play games like angry birds. It's not that the hardware couldn't handle it, it was because Apple wanted people to go out and buy the iPod. There's ways of hacking it, but I shouldn't be forced to do so, especially when you look at companies like Asus who will give support for their products that are WELL older than that. Hell, I was getting support, for free, from Asus on a board that was approximately 5 years old. Apple would charge you if it was over 1 year old.

However, my biggest beef with Apple is that they're proprietary. I can't stand proprietary stuff. As a matter of fact, it was Dell and their proprietary parts that lit the fire under my butt to learn to build my own computers.
    So really, I suppose I should thank Dell.

qubit says thanks.