1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell is back to their old tricks. This is why I hate Dell!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by newtekie1, Jan 31, 2014.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    This is a brand new Optiplex 3020. Anyone spot the problem?

[​IMG]

...PACMAN... says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    dat psu connector

3. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:
    Proprietary PSU? Or is it the low quality look to everything?

Solaris17 says thanks.
  4. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    If you only opened it up without touching anything inside, that CPU fan is clearly not mounted.

5. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    you must mean that over done 3 phase CPU design. I even spot 1 near the ram

6. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    It is mounted to thread holes offset to the right of the mounting posts.

[​IMG]

Things I see:
    - propietary board with propietary connectors :banghead:
    - Is that chipset naked? o_O

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    xvi says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    It's mounted.

Bingo!

It is the worst design I've ever seen. The motherboard PSU connector is some kind of 8-pin connector.

Oh, and there are no SATA power connectors on the PSU. It literally only has two connectors, the 4-Pin and the 8-Pin that connect to the motherboard. There is another connector on the motherboard just below the 8-Pin connector, that is where the SATA power connectors come from.

On top of that, they put in an absolutely anemic 290w power supply. So if you want to add a decent graphics card, forget it. The power supply won't handle it, the power supply doesn't even have a 6-pin PCI-E connector, and forget about replacing the PSU obviously. But most importantly, if the PSU fails replacing it will be a real pain, and likely extremely costly.

I recommended the client sent the piece of shit back.

It is naked, but it is only an H81. I wasn't too happy about no heatsink on the chipset, but I touched it when the machine was running and it was warm to the touch but not hot. So guess the heatsink isn't technically necessary for H81.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    FordGT90Concept and Solaris17 say thanks.
  8. leeb2013

leeb2013

Thanks Received:
    of course, they do it cheap as chips and 99% of people, including corporate IT "experts" will never open it. That's why we make our own PCs!

9. Tonduluboy

Thanks Received:
    The pc intended for basic usage only, you cant assume basic pc can simply be upgraded later... Even if you want to, "some pc don't mean to be upgraded".

10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I would agree for their basic consumer desktop PCs. But this is a business class Optiplex machine, not one of their cheap machines. This one was something like $800. And, yes I assume that basic PCs can be upgraded. I should be able to swap out the power supply with a more powerful one if I want, that is a basic thing that any normal size PC tower should allow.

It is unacceptable that the machine doesn't even have 4 memory slots...

11. red_stapler

red_stapler

Thanks Received:
    I don't see what you're so worked up about. This is the least expensive corporate model. It's supposed to live in an office cubicle as a 3 year lease. You don't need a 1000w power supply and a R290x to run excel. The $800 mostly covers the warranty. You don't get a certified tech with a new power supply the next day from Newegg.

12. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Most companies that use Dell have Bronze/Silver/Gold support which will just send you the part. I know Gold Support will hand deliver the part with in 24 hours from the day the support ticket is called in on. I'm not a fan, but if you buy a support package with it then there isn't any problem. But I can tell you the price is high... ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Can you bring some champagne with that psu?

Arjai says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I never said I needed a 1000w power supply and a 290X. Though just having the option to replace the power supply isn't too much to ask is it? You know, to have the option to easily replace the power supply when(not if) it fails a few years down the road after the warranty has expired? Is that really too much to ask?

Hardly. Most large companies have those levels of support, but there are a crazy number of small business that buy machines with the basic 1 year warranty and nothing more. I really hate to see what Dell starts charging for these PSUs a few years from now when they need replacing.

15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Erm nope not always they hire 3rd party people now and have done for some time now.

16. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I'm curious, does that power supply output just 12v DC and then the board regulates the 5v and 3.3v rails from there? Supposedly such design is supposed to be more efficient, though a pain for the end user who wishes to modify the machine.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  17. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    That's pretty typical on cheap boards.

Although I see why this PSU would piss you off, I think it's a sign that the 24-pin needs to go. Most of the pins are just duplicates of other pins and power supply design has advanced enough that keeping them separate is stupid. They need a new connector that meets the requirements of the ESP12V as well as what is actually required from the 24-pin. I doubt 8 pins is enough but maybe 12 or 16 is.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. leeb2013

leeb2013

Thanks Received:
    Most companies don't open or upgrade the PCs themselves. They'll have some contract with Dell, when broken dell will fix them, then be replaced after a few years. As long at they run office and internet for a few years and are quiet, all's good.

19. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    They are going to do what ever is cheapest and makes the most money. Nothing says they have to use standard layouts. That engineer has to justify his pay somehow.

20. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You mean Dell has to somehow justify cheeping out for the sake of corporate profits.

21. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    That is kind of what it looks like to me, though this isn't even an 80+ certified power supply.

Any many companies do open and upgrade their PCs themselves(or hire people like me to do it). And many companies keep machines for as long as they will run. The machine this new one is replacing is 5 years old, and on its second PSU, and the old machine is just being moved to replace a ~10 year old machine. Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of large business that replace their computer every few years, but there are a lot of small business that simply can't afford that.

Oddly, I don't see this as being cheaper. They needed to engineer the connector, and they needed to engineer the special connector on the motherboard to supply the SATA power connectors. Then they have to manufacturer two parts now instead of just one, which is almost never cheaper because you have to now run two assembly lines instead of one.

The only way I see this being profitable is 2-3 years down the road when they are selling these PSUs to out of warranty people for $150 a pop. I'm sure Dell is fine waiting that long for something to be profitable, but it is shitty to the customer.

22. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    This whole thread has me scratching my head... are you really surprised? For the most part, Dells have been and will be throw-away machines. You may be able to upgrade the CPU, RAM (if you're lucky), HDD or Video card, but forget reusing the Case or PSU.

23. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    It seems they did it like a proprietary laptop standard. :p

Sasqui says thanks.
  24. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    That about sums it up!

25. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    It isn't so much about upgrading the machine, it is about repairing it when the power supply fails. It isn't too much to expect that they use a standard easily replacable part.

remixedcat says thanks.