• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Precision M60 won't turn on (doesn't even boot)

xazraelx

Processor i7 920 @ 3.5ghz
Motherboard EVGA x58
Cooling HAF 932
Memory 3x2 Gskills
Video Card(s) Dying 4890 1gb
Storage Too many
Case HAF 932
Software Win7
My step-mother received a laptop from her work, and never really used it. She showed it to me, and the last time I came home, I used it for a little while. The thing is quite nice, good battery life, etc, etc, just got very warm. I used it for the weekend, and the night before I left, I left it plugged in to recharge the battery for her, and when I woke up, the thing was fairly hot. I tried turning it on then, and the power button didn't even turn on. I took out the battery and left it upside down to cool off, but never got a chance to test it again.

Well, I'm home again, and the thing still doesn't work. I've tried leaving it plugged in for 20 minutes, then turning it on, I've tried taking the battery out and plugging it in manually, and it still doesn't even post.

Also, I was under the impression that laptops generally have a "power" green LED light that is on when it is "charging." That light never turns on when I plug hers in to charge - it's almost as if it is getting no power whatsoever. It doesn't even make noises when I press the power button.

I've never worked on laptops before, merely desktops, but is there anything I can do to check and see what's wrong with it? I honestly don't have the first idea as to where to start.

I really appreciate it, TPU, thanks =)

William

GameSinewPCs

It sounds like a power supply issue within the laptop itself. Your best bet is to have your step-mother send it back to her company, to have it sent back to dell. If this is not an option then try calling dell directly as they may have had issues with that particular model (odds are its an isolated incident where an internal component, most likely the power conversion unit, failed). Also verify other potential variables, make sure that the plug you're using hasn't blown a fuse and is in proper working order.