1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Ready with VIA Nano-based Server

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, May 18, 2009.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Prominent server builder Dell is looking to tap the potential of VIA's Nano processor, in building compact server called XS11-VX8, that will be ready for high-density web-server applications. The compact form-factor, coupled with its energy-efficient chipset made the 64-bit Nano the obvious choice.

Dell intends to make this a "hot-plug" server, which is not much larger than a 3.5" hard drive. Twelve of these servers could fit into a 2U chassis, so power cooling, and connectivity could be shared and managed better. Each server will have room for its dedicated hard drive, and will have up to 3 GB of RAM.

This product will be marketed by Dell's Data Center Solutions group, which targets customers who buy these in thousands of units at a time. There are reportedly 30~40 such companies worldwide. The server also uses low power consumption as one of its biggest selling points. According to Dell, it idles at a mere 19W, and consumes no more than 29W at full-load. The XS11-VX8 will be officially introduced in June.

[​IMG]

Source: eWeek
  2. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    imagine putting this in your own pc:D
  3. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    so the nano is real?
  4. xenos New Member

Thanks Received:
    So what does it have a 2.5/1.8 inch disk in it? Looks like a nice idea for a home nas if there was somewhere to put several other disks and a hardware raid controller.
  5. iStink

iStink New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been taking notice to VIA's processors ever since I read review's on samsung's NC20 netbook. I hope they do well.
  6. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure they will:)
    come on! they've been around since ages ago!
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Very nice, these would work wonderfully as Web Servers. Imaging a whole rack of these, each one being its own self contained web-server. Imagine selling a whole server to a customer, that they can do whatever they want with, instead of just selling them a portion of a server they have to share.
    Salsoolo says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Salsoolo New Member

Thanks Received:
    i thought servers should be fast and handle loads of tasks.
    i dont think its that cheap!
  9. Thefumigator

Thefumigator

Thanks Received:
    Nano for web server seems cool, I actually have a copermine Celeron 1100 as web server and home router. I don't discard using nano as router too.
  10. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Servers don't really need to be powerful or handle loads of tasks. With the nano setup, you would have 12 of these taking up the space of a single high powered server.
    Crunching for Team TPU