1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell replacement PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Giletus, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Giletus

Giletus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I need to replace the power supply in a dell dimension 2600,it has a 20 pin connection. Can I use any after market replacement one,or will is it non compatible with the computer?

2. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    Dell usually has their own connectors so a standard power supply won't work. You could modify one but I don't know how skilled you are at soldering and stuff. The safest bet is to order one from Dell for that specific model.

3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Dell did have a thing at one time where they switched two of the wires and having power supplies specially made to this spec. However my dad's new Dell Vostro was perfectly compatable with an Antel 550 watt.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I see alot of the Dimension 2400-2600 systems come into our shop for PSU replacements. All I have done is whip out the dremel to modify the back end so the PSU will fit correctly but never had to modify any wires.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    on my old dell prescision 360 (P4 3.2ghz Socket 478) I got away with just using an OCZ Gamexstream 600W Psu.

It has 20+4 pin connector, only used the 20 going into the MB and worked fine ;)

I would call up their customer service and ask them first as I have heard that they can use some wierd psu connectors on some models

6. Snake05

Snake05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nearly all Dells now use the standard 20 pin connector. If you call them up, they will do nothing but lie to you just to try to buy from them, for double the cost. Just purchase a psu with a 20+4 connector (or 24 to 20 adaptor) similar to what twicksisted said, and it'll work fine. I did the same with two of my old dells (a few years old), with no problems. I do not know of any models they switch the wires on anymore, at least not for the past 5 years.

7. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    also, you may find that the mounting screws are in a different place on the dell psu to the aftermarket one... nothing that a bit of drilling cant solve though (or "no nails" superglue hehe)

If you do drill it out though, you must remember that the iron filings are conductive and if any of it gets on your motherboard or other components, it will probably short it out.

I did this to my dell a while back... was easy