1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell XPS, Inspiron Notebooks Now with Wireless USB

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Feb 11, 2008.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dell Inc. has refreshed its XPS laptop PC line and the Inspiron 1525 notebook, which now optionally have a built-in Wireless USB module. For an additional $150, customers can purchase the XPS M1330, M1530, M1730 and Inspiron 1525 notebooks with the new capability that enables computer peripherals and electronics devices - such as printers, external hard drives, mice, keyboards, digital cameras, and MP3 players - to connect to a system without a USB cable. Along with a built-in Wireless USB module, purchasers who select the new option will also get Belkin’s 4-port WUSB hub. Wireless USB technology is based on the Ultra-WideBand (UWB) radio platform, which is capable of sending 480 Mbit/s at distances up to 3 meters and 110 Mbit/s at up to 10 meters.

[​IMG]

Source: Laptoping, Engadged

2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i cant wait until the technology improves so that wireless usb can reach as far are wifi.

3. broke New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow I didn't even know that such a thing existed! congrats to DELL for getting the tech out there. and also how does this compare to bluetooth?

4. jammy86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Another one for the XPS. Those puppies are the tits. They were the first screen running at 1900x1200 @15.4" I know of being avaiable, that was the best part of 4 years ago now, and only recently have any screens been economically doing that res and they are all much much larger.

I had the Uk version without the gigabit lan and 1680x1050 screen, back when i started my degree in 04 with a 9800 :D it was awsome! turned out it was a bios limited x800, but i never risked trying the hardmod for the extra pipes. only got rid of it to the girlfriend recently cause i accidently bought my new rig.

Anyway, I digress. Well in Dell and to anyone thinking about one of these, I'm sure it'll make you happy.

JAmes.

5. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    I didnt no about it either sounds very interesting and very promising.

6. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    Dropped connections... have fun with that.

7. Caonima New Member

Thanks Received:
    The most exciting moment I look forward to this new technology in which Logitech would release its new G-series gaming mouse.Come on,I'm waiting for it.展望该新技术最激动人心的时候是罗技发布它新一代G系列游戏鼠标。来吧,我等着它。;)

8. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its meant to be used at short ranges tho. You dont get connection dropout at that distance. Its meant to be a wireless alternative to reduce cable clutter rather than to actually be used over long distances.

9. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I personally think that this is great, but what would be even better is if we had wireless power... and Dell did not copy off apple.

10. Water Drop New Member

Thanks Received:
    I may be purchasing a Dell XPS M1330 or M1530 by the end of the summer, but I can't see myself spending $150 for wireless USB, doesn't seem that useful to me.

11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Even at a mere few inches away, the Belkin unit has tested to perform abysmally. Plagued by connection drop-outs and piss poor throughput.

12. Betty (Kung Pow) New Member

Thanks Received:
    To bad this have been an option in the us for like half a year : /

13. tiys

tiys New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice! im gonna have to get one of these!