• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Designing a new small form factor, Mini-ITX case. We need your suggestions

GoliathDesign

Hey guys. I’m Max, the cofounder of Goliath Design.

For the past 12 months we’ve been brainstorming, designing, and engineering a small form factor mITX pc case perfect for any build, and it’s almost here. The Goliath MINI.

Here is what we have so far http://imgur.com/a/ylCSg

We are finishing up the final touches right now. But we want the community’s feedback. Let us know what you think of the MINI. If you can, fill out this survey to let us know what you want in a small form factor case. http://strawpoll.me/5820797

Our website is http://GetGoliath.com and we’re on https://www.facebook.com/GoliathDesignPC/ and https://twitter.com/GoliathDes. We are planning on starting a Kickstarter within the next few weeks. So subscribe on our website to get notified when that happens. (There is also a large twist that hasn’t been revealed yet, so stay tuned!)

Please let me know what you think. I’ll be happy to answer any questions!

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Some form of integrated carry handles might be a useful inclusion
for transport/LAN parties
otherwise not a bad looking case in Black and Red (Amd Build ??? )
colour option green for the other team build???

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
The two frontal usb ports are USB2.0?

GoliathDesign

Some form of integrated carry handles might be a useful inclusion
for transport/LAN parties
otherwise not a bad looking case in Black and Red (Amd Build ??? )
colour option green for the other team build???
Yes! There will be lots of customization available. And adding handles might be a great addition!
The two frontal usb ports are USB2.0?
We're thinking about 1 USB 3.0 and 1 2.0

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Ok this may sound noobish, but why would I buy a mini-ITX case that shares dimensions with a full ATX case? As far as I am concerned that case is substantially to large to be useful in the niche that is mini-ITX. Keep those dimensions and MATX and you have something.

System Name ?
Processor AMD FX-9370
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX Dual 120mm PWM CPU Cooler
Memory 16GB (4x4GB) AMD 2400 MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290
Storage 250 GB Crucial SSD BX100, 3 TB Toshiba HDD 7200rpm, 4 TB WD HDD 5900rpm
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black No Window
Audio Device(s) (USB) Mayflower Objective O2
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W Plantium Efficiency
Mouse Steelseries Sensei RAW
Keyboard Corsair K30
Software Windows 10, Ubuntu 15.10
I really like the front. Two USB ports is very convenient, the slot loading Optical drive is very nice, and adds to the premium look.

+1 for handles if you're looking at buyers who do the LAN party. Otherwise, there's not much sense in the handle.

I've been building mini itx rigs for years. Few more years and it will be a decade.

What you have is a performance oriented mini itx case which is just about as big as a small m-atx case. You need to aggressively cut down space. Remove the optical drive space and remove the red lines on front. Either use reinforced plastic shell or use aluminum for premium look and feel.

For CPU cooler, 2U height is fine. Gone are the days where you need 125w cpu to game. 65w i7 cpu will do fine. Use flex or matx PSU to cut down in space even more and use a blower type fan on top to create significant amount of air flow without using too much space and create noise.

GoliathDesign

Ok this may sound noobish, but why would I buy a mini-ITX case that shares dimensions with a full ATX case? As far as I am concerned that case is substantially to large to be useful in the niche that is mini-ITX. Keep those dimensions and MATX and you have something.

I definitely see what you're saying. Right now I'm talking with some professional engineers who are helping with just this. As for currently why this would be better than a smaller mitx case, it fits a full size psu and up to 13 in graphics cards.

I've been building mini itx rigs for years. Few more years and it will be a decade.

What you have is a performance oriented mini itx case which is just about as big as a small m-atx case. You need to aggressively cut down space. Remove the optical drive space and remove the red lines on front. Either use reinforced plastic shell or use aluminum for premium look and feel.

For CPU cooler, 2U height is fine. Gone are the days where you need 125w cpu to game. 65w i7 cpu will do fine. Use flex or matx PSU to cut down in space even more and use a blower type fan on top to create significant amount of air flow without using too much space and create noise.
First off, thank you very much for the feedback! Right now our main concern is cutting the size down drastically. But part of the case's specialty is the fact that it can support full sized power supplies, so you aren't stuck shelling out a premium for the psu or are stuck with less powerful components. We want the case to be able to accommodate any type of system.

As for the front design, it is supposed to be an led bar that has a customizable pattern. The base case will be completely plain, but we're offering variable designs.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
I definitely see what you're saying. Right now I'm talking with some professional engineers who are helping with just this. As for currently why this would be better than a smaller mitx case, it fits a full size psu and up to 13 in graphics cards.

First off, thank you very much for the feedback! Right now our main concern is cutting the size down drastically. But part of the case's specialty is the fact that it can support full sized power supplies, so you aren't stuck shelling out a premium for the psu or are stuck with less powerful components. We want the case to be able to accommodate any type of system.

As for the front design, it is supposed to be an led bar that has a customizable pattern. The base case will be completely plain, but we're offering variable designs.

Tell me, Max, how does this case distinguish itself from the likes of the RVZ01? As far as I can tell, it is a nice case, but there's nothing that would offer any incentive to buy this over something like the RVZ01. Can you give us some numbers for CPU cooler clearance and volume?

In my current case, ATX is also a possible choice; that doesn't make it a viable choice over SFX. The placement of the PSU means that even for modular PSUs, cable routing can be a bit daunting, especially in the immediate vicinity of the PSU. Do you intend to offer any solutions in this department?

@alucasa A 125W CPU is not necessary for gaming, but I'm not going to sacrifice my 4790K + D9L for the sake of fitting it in a small ITX case. As far as I can tell, this case adopts dimensions that are not too far off of a compact ATX case. The SG08, Metis and M1 prove that a case can be very compact and accommodate the likes of the D9L and U9S at the same time.

I'm not trying to bash your ideas, just trying to offer some positive criticism and seek clarification. I think it's great that more small businesses are getting into the compact ITX market. I would love to see this case make it, big time; after all, the more the merrier. This is the first time I've seen an prototype case that allows the HDDs to stay cool and in the direct path of airflow.

Last edited:

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P

What is the market share that would prefer a full atx PSU vs an SFX like the SG05-B uses at the cost of size? SFX powersupplies are available into the 600w realm which could power literally any single card setup available.

and way allow up to a 13inch card when they norm is dropping in size?

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
I find the lack of a handle disturbing :) I like small cases with a purpose. You can't be everything and the market is very crowded, so I really enjoy when a SFF case has a specific purpose. Then I immediatelly know if it is for me or not.

GoliathDesign

Tell me, Max, how does this case distinguish itself from the likes of the RVZ01? As far as I can tell, it is a nice case, but there's nothing that would offer any incentive to buy this over something like the RVZ01. Can you give us some numbers for CPU cooler clearance and volume?

In my current case, ATX is also a possible choice; that doesn't make it a viable choice over SFX. The placement of the PSU means that even for modular PSUs, cable routing can be a bit daunting, especially in the immediate vicinity of the PSU. Do you intend to offer any solutions in this department?

I'm not trying to bash your ideas, just trying to offer some positive criticism and seek clarification. I think it's great that more small businesses are getting into the compact ITX market. I would love to see this case make it, big time; after all, the more the merrier. This is the first time I've seen an prototype case that allows the HDDs to stay cool and in the direct path of airflow.

I think the biggest thing is that our case will be fully customizable. Think of Nike's shoe-designer.

We want to offer the same experience. So all colors, led designs, materials, windows, handles, etc. will be fully customizable. No other case maker has this.

Since we're still prototyping and don't have final models, I can't offer any precise measurements. Though there are about 4 inches of room above the cpu.

The case opens up with a lot of room to route cables. So this shouldn't be too large of an issue.

Thank you very much for your thoughts!

What is the market share that would prefer a full atx PSU vs an SFX like the SG05-B uses at the cost of size? SFX powersupplies are available into the 600w realm which could power literally any single card setup available.

and way allow up to a 13inch card when they norm is dropping in size?

This is definitely something we'll have to think about moving forward. It seems like we can either have a small size but require more "obscure" parts, or a larger size but that fits standard sized components.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
This is definitely something we'll have to think about moving forward. It seems like we can either have a small size but require more "obscure" parts, or a larger size but that fits standard sized components.

I just see no reason for a full size powersupply. Even using some of the least efficient components available the SG05B can handle a fully top end build with water cooling using just a 450w in a smaller case.

If you want to keep this large form factor it had better allow for a 2x120mm radiator with push/pull fans, while still allowing for the disk drive to be installed.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Just as an idea for what you can do with the substantially smaller SG05-B

Changed a couple of things up. Managed to fit a 38mm ultra kaze in with the new radiator.