• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Desperately in need for help, something failed! (conserning asus hd6950 to 6970)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casper

Hello i recently tried upgrading my asus 6950 to 6970 and it all looked promising but it failed! I followed the guide on these forums (link: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159 ), i did everything step by step. However i got the error saying ID mismatch. Well then i followed the instuctions once again and did this:

For the people who need to unlockrom and fail at command line:

- Unpack the Winflash download onto your desktop in a folder called "winflash"
- Save the 6970 BIOS in your Winflash folder and name it unlock.bin
- Click Start Button
- Type "cmd"
- Right click the entry and select "Run as Administrator"
- Black command prompt windows opens
- Type "cd %USERPROFILE%\desktop\winflash"
- Type "atiwinflash -unlockrom 0" <-- the 0 means first adapter, if you have multiple cards, physically uninstall all but the one you want to flash
- Type "atiwinflash -f -p 0 unlock.bin"
- It should complete the flashing process with a message saying something with "verified".

Now once again everything went smoothly and i got to the verified part and all, but after that everything went downhill. I restarted my computer and when windows opened it had a low resolution as if i had been in safe mode or such. However it started finding drivers and it found the drivers and i restarted once again. When the windows now opened again it looked fine, however when i tried checking the shaders number it still showed 1408 instead of 1536. And i got a black screen. So i tried loading the 6970 again on the winflash thinking it would help and it says its already installed. However i keep getting black screens etc. when i open internet or something. Sometimes it doesnt give a black screen tho but after a while it certainly does. So i went to the winflash again and tried loading my backup bios save. It gives me the ID mismatch error once again. What am i supposed to do ? Is there a way i can make the 6970 work ? help please!

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Some of the later 6950 models had their additional shader's laser cut as opposed to just being disabled in the Bios, it may just be that the shader's are there but no longer functional and that's why it's not working.

Casper

Some of the later 6950 models had their additional shader's laser cut as opposed to just being disabled in the Bios, it may just be that the shader's are there but no longer functional and that's why it's not working.
any idea how i get my original bios back then ? how do i load it or restore or something

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
any idea how i get my original bios back then ? how do i load it or restore or something

You should have thought of that before you began flashing...

Casper

You should have thought of that before you began flashing...
I mean i did, i got the original bios backup and everything i also got the switch so i can take the backup bios, but is the switch really necessary if i can still access my desktop etc ? Tbh i find your reply extremely childish and it serves no purpose at all. I appreciate help, but being a smartass serves no one good. Im just looking for help.

Okay i figured it out. I did the progress below with my backup bin, by renaming my backup bin into unlock.bin and placing it in the winflash folder, and following the steps through as they are below. Luckily i didnt get a black screen before doing it. Hope someone else finds this useful aswell.

- Unpack the Winflash download onto your desktop in a folder called "winflash"
- Save the 6970 BIOS in your Winflash folder and name it unlock.bin
- Click Start Button
- Type "cmd"
- Right click the entry and select "Run as Administrator"
- Black command prompt windows opens
- Type "cd %USERPROFILE%\desktop\winflash"
- Type "atiwinflash -unlockrom 0" <-- the 0 means first adapter, if you have multiple cards, physically uninstall all but the one you want to flash
- Type "atiwinflash -f -p 0 unlock.bin"
- It should complete the flashing process with a message saying something with "verified".

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I hope you were able to get it back in working order....judging by your last post, it seems ike the flash was sucessful.

**PS** if it comes to it, Newegg STILL has 6970's on sale New in Box... for under $100USD.

6950 $90USD@NEWEGG

Casper

yea works like a charm :) if i buy a new one ill buy something a bit more powerful.
I hope you were able to get it back in working order....judging by your last post, it seems ike the flash was sucessful.

**PS** if it comes to it, Newegg STILL has 6970's on sale New in Box... for under $100USD.

6950 $90USD@NEWEGG

Status
Not open for further replies.