• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Detached SATA socket

Chevalier

I have an ASUS P5B Premium motherboard and whilst removing several SATA cables I failed to press the release clip and inadvertently pulled the SATA plastic shroud from the motherboard leads. The leads and the plastic shroud are OK but I do not know how to put back the plastic shroud. Do I just supeglue back the plastic shroud or is the matter more complicated than that?

Can anyone please offer any advice?:confused:

streetfighter 2

As long as you're sure nothing is shorted and/or wires crossed I do not see any reason not to use super glue/krazy glue/gorilla glue. Just make sure to not get glue on the leads.

Chevalier

As long as you're sure nothing is shorted and/or wires crossed I do not see any reason not to use super glue/krazy glue/gorilla glue. Just make sure to not get glue on the leads.

I am certain that nothing is shorted because the motherboard is working OK and all the remaining SATA sockets function correctly. I will therefore try to glue back the plastic shroud.

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful response.

streetfighter 2

I am certain that nothing is shorted because the motherboard is working OK and all the remaining SATA sockets function correctly. I will therefore try to glue back the plastic shroud.

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful response.

Happy to help.

If the detached SATA port doesn't work after you glue it back together it is likely that you broke a trace on the motherboard when you pulled out the port and there really isn't any way to fix that (reliably).

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
I did that once just make sure all the pins on the board slide back into there channels on the shroud it actually stayed in place as well i didn't need to glue it at all.

Chevalier

I did that once just make sure all the pins on the board slide back into there channels on the shroud it actually stayed in place as well i didn't need to glue it at all.

That is very comforting to know. Since I can't find any trace of glue on the base of the shroud I wonder if what you describe is actually how it is done at the manufacturing stage?

Many thanks for your welcome input.

NAVI_Z

System Name Gamer Rig
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
Motherboard ASUS M4A78T-E
Cooling Corsair H-50 cpu cooler.Kingston Hyper X ram cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) XFX HD 5870 XXX Edition
Storage WD Velociraptor 300gig ; SAmsung Spinpoint 250gig
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2494 24 inch full 1080p
Case NZXT TEMPEST AIRFLOW KING
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply Kingwin 800w modular
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
same here. did the excact same thing lol. i was lucky and slid that sucker back in without glue. got rid of the sata cable with the clip.good luck.:)