1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Detached SATA socket

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Chevalier, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Chevalier New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an ASUS P5B Premium motherboard and whilst removing several SATA cables I failed to press the release clip and inadvertently pulled the SATA plastic shroud from the motherboard leads. The leads and the plastic shroud are OK but I do not know how to put back the plastic shroud. Do I just supeglue back the plastic shroud or is the matter more complicated than that?

Can anyone please offer any advice?:confused:

2. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    As long as you're sure nothing is shorted and/or wires crossed I do not see any reason not to use super glue/krazy glue/gorilla glue. Just make sure to not get glue on the leads.

Chevalier says thanks.
  3. Chevalier New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am certain that nothing is shorted because the motherboard is working OK and all the remaining SATA sockets function correctly. I will therefore try to glue back the plastic shroud.

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful response.

4. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Happy to help.

If the detached SATA port doesn't work after you glue it back together it is likely that you broke a trace on the motherboard when you pulled out the port and there really isn't any way to fix that (reliably).

5. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    I did that once just make sure all the pins on the board slide back into there channels on the shroud it actually stayed in place as well i didn't need to glue it at all.

6. Chevalier New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is very comforting to know. Since I can't find any trace of glue on the base of the shroud I wonder if what you describe is actually how it is done at the manufacturing stage?

Many thanks for your welcome input.

7. NAVI_Z

NAVI_Z New Member

Thanks Received:
    same here. did the excact same thing lol. i was lucky and slid that sucker back in without glue. got rid of the sata cable with the clip.good luck.:)

Chevalier says thanks.