1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Details Surface About Defective NVIDIA Notebook Parts

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jul 4, 2008.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Following NVIDIA's announcement of a US $150M to $200M package towards covering anticipated warranty, repair, return, replacement and other costs and expenses relating to faulty 'packaging material', suppliers in Taiwan have gone low-key on the issue.

By 'packaging material', they don't mean 'packaging' as in the logistics, but 'packaging' as in electronics, a package simply put is a ceramic or plastic enclosure in which is embedded a chip (die) with tiny wirings connecting parts of the chip to an interface on one side, be it an array of pins or solder balls. Unlike CPUs, graphics processors are connected to the circuit boards using ball grid arrays.

With NVIDIA indicating that the problem is due to the packaging material used with some of its chips, which was compounded by the thermal design of some notebooks, industry sources in Taiwan believe the problem is most likely related to either the solder bumping process used by one or more of NVIDIA's manufacturing partners or the company's PCB substrate supplier(s).

Sources in Taiwan tell that the defective parts were the GeForce 8500M series mobile GPUs launched sometime in 2007. The problem was caused by related bump processing. Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) and Siliconware Precision Industrial (SPIL) all provide bump processing services to NVIDIA.

Both ASE and SPIL denied knowing anything about the issue because the defective chips are older generation products.

Source: DigiTimes
  2. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm thats ok then i got a 7600 in mine thanx bta for this post really appreciate it :toast:
  3. Bluesman

Bluesman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the post - my new ASUS laptop has a nVidia GPU. Fortunately, it is a Geforce 9500M GS. Fingers crossed, etc ... :D
  4. Megasty New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a relief, mine is an 8800m :cool:
  5. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    +1 for the extra effort of finding and adding wiki links for background info. Thanks.
  6. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Hmm My Acer's 8600M 256 is dead as a doornail...I have been meaning to take it in. It still under warranty either way.
  7. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Phew, then we are good to go on my end then. Awesome.
  8. Creatre

Creatre

Thanks Received:
    My laptops 7800m went bad! Caused me to buy this desktop though. :rockout: