1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Device manager wont detect my Wifi Card

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Xantosdude, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Xantosdude New Member

Thanks Received:
    I checked the card twice. Must've taken it out 1-3 to physically install it. Updated my window's vista to the maximum and device manager is still being a pain. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure I did everything right. I got the D-link dwa-552 in my computer.

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Is the card just not showing up in the device manager, or is it shown as "Unknown Device?"

3. Xantosdude New Member

Thanks Received:
    the card isnt showing up at all.

4. Cybrnook

Cybrnook

Thanks Received:
    Install the software from the Dlink website, then reboot. Or if you want to just add the driver, run the "add new hardware" wizard and manually install it.

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Huh? Well, if you haven't already, try reseating the card/try it in a different slot. Here is a link to the drivers for the card: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DWA-552

Select "Support Resources", then "drivers" Download them and run it. Hopefully it will work.

6. left-o-matic

left-o-matic New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you have another PCI slot to try it in? if not get a can of compressed air, and clean out the slot on your motherboard.

if that doesn't work try it in a buddy's computer to make sure it's the card and not your mobo.

and if that doesn't work, RMA the sucker, buy WRT-54GL, flash it with tomato and go about your business

p.s. inspect the connection completely, because my neighbor install a new NIC in his box, had green flashy lights, but didn't show up in windows because it was 1/16" out of the slot on the end away from the mounting bracket.....

7. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    Make sure the card is plugged in uniformly in the slot, not at an angle.
    Make sure the pins on the connector are clean. If not, use a soft eraser (to erase pencil on paper) and gentle rub off the impurities and try again.
    In case a IRQ conflict, go into your motherboard BIOS and set it to "Optimised Defaults", then set the details you may have changed before back to what you want, Save & Reboot.
    Lastly, test it in a different system to confirm that the card is in fact functioning.

Once booted, install the driver (even if you still don't see it in Device Manager) and see if anything is picked up.

8. Xantosdude New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! For some weird reason upon restarting multiple times. (actually i was turning my computer off and on to watch the LED's flash) my computer suddenly noticed it existed and allowed me install it.