1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DFI BloodIron, eVGA 680i and dead CPU, who was the culprit?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by pepsi71ocean, Nov 9, 2008.

1. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, after alot of "red Tape" i was able to test my cpu and ram in another computer. The culprit was a dead CPU. Now here is where the question is.

Was the CPU killed by the DFI Blood iron or the eVGA 680i. Now the 680i when i was using it killed my first set of ram, which passed testing today on the other computer.

What do you guys think? Do you think i should RMA the Blood iron or should i stick with the one i have now and get a new CPU? In theory since the 680i killed my first set of good crucial ballistix, do you think it could have killed my cpu as well? Unfortunately i failed to test my cpu when i first switched over form my 680i, but that was because i didn't think that the cpu was bad, however i did find out shorty after installing the blood iron that one of the stick was bad.

So guys is there any option to finding out who the culprit really was/is, and if the CPU was bad would it kill the Blood iron in the process? Should i RMA the bloodiorn? idk what to do and if possible i don't want to RMA something that works just fine. But at the same time there is no money in the coffer to replace the CPU so the computer will stay in cold storage for now.

So now that you read all of that, what do you think i should do?

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it was colonel mustard in the dining room with the candlestick.

it'd be pretty hard to tell what did what... you can always try with a cheap stick of ram and an old celeron, and see if anything new dies.

pepsi71ocean says thanks.
  3. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'll have to look into pricing things up, the hard part is that i have no real money right now.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

4. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well when I look at it both are suspect, are you able to scrounge and get a cheap proc?? If your lucky a cheap proc should be out there a celeron or something, before you up and buy a new one.

I don't think CPU would kill mobo in process, would have to be OC'd or mobo would usually die on its on it for some reason. and sometimes when a mobo dies it can take the memory with it. Just depends you have to test every slot to be sure.

for the 680i since it killed mem I would RMA that, can't take any chances on it.

and blood iron you if you can find a cheap proc, just test and see how it goes for a few days.

How long have you had the blood iron??

and like mussels said kinda hard to see what happened at this point, If I'm right 680i is at fault, but still sometimes components can randomly die on their own.

pepsi71ocean and JrRacinFan say thanks.
  5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Well, this is my take: I have heard of some issues with ram on a 680i. Not many instances but yes a few. Now I've never heard of a BI killing a cpu or ram. Just my .02

BUT! You can't test either board to see if a power supply took out your cpu either, which I highly doubt with it being a Silverstone(taken from specs). I say RMA both boards and your dead ram. Then sell the 680i.

EDIT: Nice advice kysg.

6. thebeephaha

thebeephaha

Thanks Received:
    680i's are notorious for killing RAM. My Striker Extreme (3rd RMA) just murdered my 4GB of Mushkin... I never heard of it killing a CPU though.

7. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    I might scrounge around newegg for a cheap 775 to throw in there. Ive had the BI for a good 6 months i would say. Would it be noticeable if the BI was doing the killing?

The 680i Lt died a horiable death and then i tried upgrading to a mainstream 680i A1, that was still C1, and D0 errors, that was RMA'ed 5 or 6 times before i gave up and went with the BI. But knowing what i know now about the ram may have explained why the NB died on the 680i Lt, and may be why the 680i A1 board wouldn't work, however those dieing ram sticks did work in the BI, until a memtest showed that they were failing. In which case i ended up getting new ram sticks.
    At the same time the cpu was dieing, the ram sticks worked fine and reported no errors at all.

yea, i think that the fact the 680i killed the ram, it may have also taken my cpu with it. Thats why its a toss up between the two, but im leaning towards the 680i though.

8. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Since your talking about getting a new cpu, I beleive ANTEC900 here on the forums has a Pentium D 915 for sale. I think hes asking $30 shipped for it with it being used and an older chip it may be a good donor for the testing. I am truly beleiving it was that 680i board though.

9. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:

well DFI's do carry 3 year warranty wouldn't hurt to honestly RMA both to cover all issues.
    but still there is like only 1 other possibility and that the CPU might have died on its own but that is kinda hard to go off of.

does you BI have the LED post thingy on it??? my 790GX does, and that gave me an idea of what was up when I first had problems with mine not posting at all. mobo was just DOA, sent that thing back. and DFI isn't too bad about shipping they out of fremont, CA I believe.

other then that it would be MEMtest and CPU test, to see if any issues pick up on the BI, and just check the temps and voltage to see if everything is where it should be. the only other way to tell with mobo is that it will either not post, or it will turn on the mobo will turn on but not post. which if these 2 happen then I would just RMA the BI at that point, I know I'm cutting a corner there but thats all I brain can think of right now. 680i just RMA and then sell,

Actually and also how long have you had the CPU??? if under a year I believe you can send that back too. 30days if it was OEM.

10. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    Will look into it, i might buy a new one im not sure yet, i might look into building a business computer and if i do i'll use that CPU. Unfortunately, in my infinite wisdom i lapped my CPU, so the warranty is void. But at the time it was needed to keep the cpu temps down, one more thing i guess i shouldn't have done, lol

When running memtest the ram passes with flying colors, even running 1100MHz with 5-4-4-15 timings on i think 2.175volts. The cpu was never UBCD tested for stability until OCCT showed unstability at 3.7GHz, thats when i used the UBCD. Also i was 3.6GHz stable but i did kinda bleed heavily on the board, but the board seems fine, guess the CPU will be the test subject for now. I lapped my Quad so no RMA because of no warrranty, it sucks

The mobo has no problems posting now, im just courious if i do put another CPU in how soon would the cpou start showing errors, i mean would it show up in the first 7 day test cycle for CPU Burn on on the UBCD for example?