1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DFI smoking hot mosfet

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Laurijan, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi!

I have a DFI Lanparty UT SLI-D mobo which has a mosfet with a heatsink (not the only one)on it in the upper right corner (ram PWM?) which gets incredible hot during OCing - about at 1.5V Vcore i nearly burned my finger on it.

The PWMs near the CPU though get not so hot - does somebody know why that is?

And does DFIs have unusually hot mosfets or are they as warm as on any other manufacurers boards.

I ask this because i want to get a Blood Iron mobo but saw a pic where the PWMs blew and i am afraid the mosfets need cooling cause the Blood Iron has no heatsinks on it as default?

dsc00346.jpg
  2. Duffman

Duffman New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow, that pic is kinda scary but it seems there was alot more going on there...looks like alot of stuff burned up on that board
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    The amount of heat they put out has to do with the voltages you run, and how many phases the board has. I believe the Blood Iron is 4 phase, so vcore higher than 1.55 likely won't be stable without additional cooling. Not to worry tho, those voltages are on the high side anyway. Your cpu would need really good cooling to be stable beyond that anyway.
  4. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    omg dude wtf?

[​IMG]
  5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
  6. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
    That did sneekypeet also said to me
  7. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    with you on that... the bits from around the CPU looks like liquid spots... You'll be fine with a blood Iron. IF you want, I know sneekypeet has one and is loving it. PM him and talk to him... I believe he's showing it off in the P35 chipset club and the 3870 mod threads.
  8. Laurijan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dont be scared about DFIs it was probalby a TEC - a form of cooling where electricity is used to cool a plate which is very cool on one side and on the other very hot - if it is not installed right or something goes wrong with it - it can cause this kinda damage

Edit: I could maybe get more info on the foreign article the pic was taken from..
  9. Duffman

Duffman New Member

Thanks Received:
    no, i think you took my reaction the wrong way. I was stating that there was much more going wrong in that pic than your fears about the mosfet failing.
  10. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Forgive my ignorance guys but could you clear something up for me? Are the mosfets the same as voltage regulation mudules / PWM? Which bit is which, is the mosfets the black thing that say "R35" on them or the little grey things between the 2 capacitor at the bottom? Which part would need a heatsink/additional cooling, because I'm getting a blood iron MoBo soon :) and I wanna get a heatsink to pop on there for overclocking. THANKS GUYS! :)