1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Diablo III Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by CrackerJack, Feb 7, 2011.

1. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    You think it was too high? ;/ half the reason I got it was for the +life on hit, which I think will really help vs reflect mobs. Though I'm not sure if it triggers from my spells, or just MM.
  2. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    coming from the guy who can't read :rolleyes:

Attack Speed sucks for kiting. You need a minimum, but that much just is too much
  3. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Eh, can't go wrong with AS. Worst case, I can drop one of my AS rings or gloves for some heavy int gear. Right now I'm at 2.44(roughly) attacks/sec and 2.7 w/ frenzy shrine. Pretty hilarious to watch the attack animations. Off hand has 60-200 damage, and amulet has 17-34. So add that on top of the 334-664 for 411-898 over twice persecond. Pretty decent!
  4. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Really? I always heard the complete opposite. The more attack speed you get the better. In fact blizzard is actually nerfing attack speed because that's exactly what is happening.
  5. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I'm not the one who didn't know where AH was lol, hence the quoted posts and the "can't read" comment

AS is a false sense of dps imo, especially on the weapon. you have to have enough AS to kite well, but any more and its a waste... if you are kiting a mob, attack run attack run, you don't really get the most out of the AS, but when your gear isn't too much AS, then each attack does more. Theoretically AS is awesome, practically, you have to balace it out. having 1.5 AS and tons of damage is only good in some situations and is often better to have 2AS with a moderate amount of damage, but 3AS is a waste.
  6. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    ...I thought its better to have a lower AS or is it different for this game? Games that I have played such as WoW a 1.5 is fast and 2 or 3 is slow.

Reason why I couldn't find the AH is I have a Starter Edition can't use it.

EDIT: NM I see in this game its #.# Attacks per second.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  7. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure why you would consider it a false sense of dps because by definition it's how much damage you can output. If you running backwards kiting and you have mobs chasing you, with 3as you might be able to get off 2 shots instead of 1 while running back. It's hard to say because there is a variety of situations but from a mathematical perspective you should usually do more damage while kiting with a high AS. It also reduces your risk of getting caught because of the faster animation speed.
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  8. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Woot! 1 shotted Belial in Hell w/o any potions, just good ole Diamond Skin and globes :D
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    It's a great thing, just set the specified stats your looking for and put a gold cap on it, then search lowest to highest buyouts. Sometimes there won't be anything, but many times there is. It won't be the best stuff out there, but for the price you can't go wrong. Though once you hit 60 that starts to change.

Thats a good weapon, though I don't think Wizz spells work with any sort of life gain. If you find out otherwise, then that thing is amazing, and let me know. If not, it's not bad, but I would sell it and go for a Blue with higher DPS for cheaper, I think I got my 890 DPS Wand for like 240k.

I think your not understanding how DPS works, DPS stands for Damage Per Second. 5 attacks in a second and each hits for 20 thats 100 DPS. If you do 2 attacks a second and each hits for 50, thats 100 DPS as well. I personally do like to find a happy medium myself because insane small numbers in large groups makes me a bit sad. I usually stay away from Attack Speed Weapons simply because it's already factored into that DPs number, so that means the weapons top end is smaller and numbers will be smaller, plus you don't gain that massive DPS that AS on something like gloves gives since it's already counted into weapon DPS. So I mostly just try and get the hardest hitting weapon I can, but beyond that, stack AS and Int (and theres tons of gear with both, so you're not really giving up a stat to get that AS).
  10. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Attack speed is not as important as base weapon damage if your skills use "weapon damage" to uh...damage. The cooldowns of those skills isn't affected by attack speed.
  11. alucard13mmfmj

Thanks Received:
    o rly? i guess i should stop looking for IAS weapons for my wiz lol
  12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    so what that means is the skill/spell damage isnt based on the DPS (which factors attack speed) but rather, just the base damage itself?
  13. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    It depends on the skill being used. Not all skills have CD's. I don't know about the wizard but the WD has some skills that seem to just cast faster and faster with AS. But also to keep in mind while kiting that AS shortens your cast animation.

Also some interesting information:

It would seem the current rate of inflation for the D3 auction house is approx 10% per day. So in the off chance you are holding 10m on your account you need to gather 1m per day to just maintain the same buying power you had in the previous day.
  14. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Exactly, not all skills have CD's, but Seismic Slam would still be using weapon damage as the...damager, and attack speed doesn't make the "slams" on the ground appear faster. Rapid Fire as well. They are not affected by attack speed since their "limiter" so to speak is rage/hatred. The only way to make those skills "quicker" so to speak is to reduce their rage/hatred cost through runes.
  15. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Well like you said it all depends, but it really helps with kiting when your animations to turn around and shoot are shorter, and it makes you less likely to be caught mid-animation. If it wasn't an issue blizzard wouldn't be nerfing attack speed.
  16. bostonbuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Beat the butcher in inferno, had to switch out seismic for hammer and cleave for bash. Took quite a few tries, kept taking too long and the entire floor would light up.
  17. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    You should have gotten one with lots of intelligence in it: check these 2 pics (attach).

Notice the difference in dmg between the 2 and then check the change if equipped. Got it because it had the same AS but had way more intelligence.

I'm not using either of these but i checked and, if i were to use magic weapon and glass cannon skills, i would get over 45K DPS.

I did the same mistake as you: ditch the amulet and get one with AS and intelligence in it as it gives WAY MORE dmg that way. Trust me on this: i learned the hard way.

Do the same for rings. I had 2 rings with 12-25 and 13-24 dmg: both with +15 AS but i have a couple of 15 AS / 71 intelligence now and they do way more dmg like this. I'm trying to find affordable rings with more intelligence but the same AS but they are WAY expensive, atm.

@ present, with friendzy shrine, i have just over 3.0 AS.

Attached Files:

18. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone buys something in the AH and is happy with it and shows it off a little and all you guys do is say how it could be better. Well guess what, maybe it will help him in the short term until he can get something better.
    Sure, a lot of people have better items, but FFS let's try to keep people moving on, not crushing their spirit because there is something better.

Just my opinion. We all have fun playing, let's try to give people positive responses with some suggestions, not smack them down.
    AlienIsGOD and SlayerJC say thanks.
  19. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    When buying in the AH, I always go for the cheapest deals possible. :laugh:
    Kreij says thanks.
  20. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I do too, entropy, and while not big upgrades ... every little bit helps.
  21. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Besides the small upgrades (for example, as a level 60 barb I've gone through 800, 900, and 1000dps weapons already bought from the AH), I also try some buying (either through low winning bids, or low enough buyout prices) and selling. :laugh:

Although right now the selling part isn't working...:laugh:
  22. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I tossed some stuff on the AH too. Will it sell? No clue.
    I made it cheap (IMO) but it doesn't matter. I can always turn it into horse hooves or something. lol
  23. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, when going for Attack Speed you need to select skills that will use said attack speed. If you skill right, getting a weapon with attack speed is fine. But if most of your damage isn't coming from abilities effected by AS, then it shouldn't be a stat you invest heavily in.
  24. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, my amulet has int/vit/dex, damage and magic find. It's tough to find a good ammy w/ AS +int. I'd like to find one w/ life on hit/int/as/magic find

After doing some research, attaack speed effects how fast your Hydras attack. So there is a spell benefit to having high AS. And Life on Hit works off arcane orb/magic missle, so I will be getting benefit from it. The high AS will help with regenerating health quicker because of this. Looking at all the weapons w/ Life on hit, I don't see any for under 1mil and over 750 dps, so I am pleased ;D Now if I could only find one for my barb ;/
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
    Mussels and 1Kurgan1 say thanks.
  25. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    There, I now have $5 on my Battle.net balance, and I've linked my girlfriend's PayPal account to my Battle.net account. LOL