1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Diablo III: No PvP at Launch

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    I'm curious, could you go into more detail as to why? I've played both SC1 and SC2, and I found SC2 far more enjoyable. I realize not everyone has the same tastes as I do, but like I said, I'm curious.

2. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Massive SP? hehe! I've finished it in less than 1 week, playing only a couple of hours/day, and I've got so bored compared to the first one. Crappy missions, no depth, game felt so cheap and...empty...

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    so finishing it in less than a week isnt good enough, when most SP games these days are done in 5-6 hours...

now you're just trolling.

4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Not to mention there is only like 45 minutes worth of gameplay in the beta.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  5. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    actually i really enjoy WoW PvP on my arms warrior and feral druid. I do NOT enjoy the old Warcraft games at all, so plz don't assume that i should

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:

No, he's not, and No, it's not. Try 200+ hours in Skyrim BEFORE the release of the CS. THAT is good enough. And it's still going. Try 100+ in Freelancer, almost 10 years ago. THAT is good enough. Starcraft 2 is a disappointment in comparison to the first one, and I expected better from Blizz, especially as a sequel.

Diablo 3 would probably be a fun game to play. But with real money AH, and no LAN play, it's not getting my cash. It, too, is a disappointment, not because of the game play, which I expect will be excellent, but because of the business choices of Blizz. Whomever is to blame for those decisions, Activision, EA, US Congress, whatever, those decisions will cost them my money, and my fiance's. I can't speak for any others, but it's a disappointment.

7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    its a multiplayer game, not a single player. try counting those hours.

8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    ...and what of custom maps? It's a little easier to make a fully-fledge mod in SC2 than it is in Skyrim. You can't say that SC2 is crap because of Single Player because Blizzard invested a lot of time in multiplayer and the ability to create rich and powerful custom levels. Now regardless of the quality of custom levels, there is a lot you can do with SC2 as an engine which is what makes it a good game in my honest opinion.

9. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_(video_game)

Freelancer features a multiplayer mode, allowing up to 128 players to play together in a game.[9] Multiplayer games are hosted on game servers; personal computers that meet the requirements for the game can act as a server. Gameplay is similar to the single-player mode, but is absent of story-driven quests. Because the server keeps individual records of the players' progress, they can resume their game when they next log on to it. A persistent virtual galaxy is thus maintained for them.[10]

Fine. Multiplayer from a game 10 years old. 100+ hours in SP. THAT is the quality that many gamers came to expect from Blizzard. Even Warcraft 3 had dozens of singleplayer gaming hours.

What it comes down to, is that Blizzard disappointed many with their staggered release of a game to make more money, and the perceived sell-out to a mentality of not just "money before the customer", but "money at any cost". Blizzard is making money (they ARE a company, after all), and they mostly make good games. And, for most people, they won't care about the quality, because there's such a gluttony of games out there to occupy, who cares, really? But for some, the loss of faith in Blizzard is a sad realization.

10. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    instead of intricate tit for tat, it become who got the best map spot and spammed the construction queue. there's no strategy in that, and it was very boring for me.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    Maelstrom says thanks.
  11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    You can't really compare Skyrim and Freelancer to Diablo. And I have probably spent about 100 hours or more in D2, so I don't see what you're getting at there. Also, SC2 will be three games (yes you pay full retail price for each one whatevs). AND it was pretty clear all the time that they would focus a lot more on multiplayer than anything else. In SC2 the campaign is more like a bonus than the basis.

12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Another sad memory that there never be a game like FEAR 1 and no hope of being a FEAR 4 which is like FEAR 1 lol.

13. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    Single player campaign wise, I disagree. I found SC2's to be far more enjoyable, in that immediately after I beat it the first time I started a new game. I've gone back multiple times to try to beat SC1 and Broodwar's campaign again, and I get bored after the terran part in the first game.

Can't comment on multiplayer though.

14. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    *sigh* I agree here... FEAR 1 and 2 made my fiance scream, and made me jump a coulpe of times. 3 was pitiful.

15. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Fair enough, personal preference is the whole reason we have anything resembling an intelligent discussion on here :) :toast:. Some people won't care about the $AH in D3, or the lack of LAN play. For my fiance, she was ok with no LAN play, as long as we could find each other online, and limit who else played with us. Once she heard about the $AH tho, she was done.

16. Wheat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well you're missing out SC2 came with a more flexible map editor than Warcraft III. Buying SC2 gives you access to so many creative and community driven games types that you didn't just get one game you got a game builder and access to all that content as well. It's was money well spent from my perspective.

17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    single player missions, challenge missions, all the SP, coop and MP maps patched into the game for free...

i wonder if theres a way to show how many hours i've gotten out of it so far

18. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    You do not enjoy a good PVP game is your choice, but that does not make WoW PVP any good.
    Raping noobs in my full glad gear was fun for a while, but it gets old fast ;)
    On top of that class and spec balance is pretty bad for WoW, and for someone who like variety in PVP, WoW and MMOs in general is pretty much shit in that area.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012