1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dice says PC is the future

Discussion in 'Games' started by crazyeyesreaper, Apr 8, 2011.

1. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    Source: http://www.jolt.co.uk/interview/332...edium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: joltcouk (Jolt)

BondExtreme, caleb, HXL492 and 18 others say thanks.
  2. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    seems like he gets it, aim for the pc and by the time the console is out you'll have games that are already compatible with its new features.

3. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    FYI, it is very rude, to the origin source, to copy & paste an entire article.

4. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    and i could care less to be blunt, im not a writer im not affiliated with any sites i posted the link first then the article

5. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    FYI ... it's not rude, as it's flattering that he thought enough of the article to post it. It could be illegal if the articles are attached to a copyright (most news sites do so).
    If they complain, W1zz can nuke it.
    In any event, we will give CER a break as he was not mentored in the fine art of news posting by the one-and-only Bta. :)
    If any of you guys or gals want tips on news posting, just PM me.

Anyway ... I don't think PC's are the future. They are what they have always been, the standard to shoot for when trying to acheive gaming excellence.
    Consoles will come and go, but my PCs stand eternal (wait is that a Tupac line?) :laugh:

6. Thassodar

Thassodar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I disagree. The first line is a link to the article, he never claimed he wrote it, and it is important to people who follow PC gaming. Ignore the quote, click the link :rolleyes:

7. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Okay we're supposed to be discussing the article not the posting. Move on please.

Easy Rhino says thanks.
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No good deed goes unpunished.:laugh: Thanks Crazy. :toast:

9. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    a couple weeks ago Rovio said mobile is the future. next week Microsoft will say consoles are the future. bunch of bullshit.

10. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

11. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I think that PC gaming will make a comeback so long as the tone the DRM crap down. My childhood was in the 90's where the consoles dominated, much like now. Once the consoles started to get limited, the PC became the dominant player. Consoles took back over with the PS3/360/Wii, but they are getting limited once more. PC will take over till the next gen console comes out.

12. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    to be fair pc's were far more expensive in the 90's to where it was completely impracticable to buy one for the sole purpose of gaming.

nowadays a 500$ rig will play most games.

13. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    :rockout:

Screw consoles :D

14. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    True, but do you remember the price of consoles back then? Here is a refresher, this was the year that the PS1 and Saturn came out:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

manofthem and Velvet Wafer say thanks.
  15. f22a4bandit

f22a4bandit

Thanks Received:
    And we're complaining about games prices these days, haha. The product doesn't justify the price, I know.

I think the interview was a nice way to look inside DICE for a quick expectation for the future. I think PC gaming will become the dominant platform again in another year if BF3 blows everyone away like we're almost all predicting. This is only good news for us PC gamers.

16. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Neither PCs nor Consoles are going to go away. I think things will just swing back and forth with developers as new features and income opportunities present themselves with advancements in both platforms.

17. f22a4bandit

f22a4bandit

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I definitely agree, Kreji. There will always be games that play better on a console than a PC. Sports games, for instance, I prefer on a console as I find a keyboard too clunky to deal with.

18. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I can sort of vouch for mobile computing to be the future since it will be accompanied by cloud computing eg. ever thought of playing a HD game that requires a 500 dollar GPU to run by using a PC tablet or a business laptop? Well you can for the price of subscribing to your cloud computing provider since you'll be using their hardware over the internet and then obviously you'll need a good enough connection to run it eg. 4G

But I can relate with DICE thinking that PC gaming is the future because the more consoles develop the closer they become to being an actual desktop PC.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  19. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    I respect Dice and what have you but it's very media savvy to big up the PC when you have a big PC developed title coming out later this year. I wonder if there are any old articles where they say about how they plan to develop for the consoles as that is where gaming is at?

I don't care personally. As long as BF3 lives up to the excellence we have seen about it so far I won't hold it against them. :)

20. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    whatever man I was being sarcastic.

Dirt 3 RC car collector's edition $300!

21. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    To be honest, after fiasco with Crytek and it's rubbish Crysis 2 i don't believe anyone anymore. They all say: "Yeah PC is the leading platform and we take special care about it" and in the end we get the same ported turd like we did thousand times before. Sure DICE has an ok track record so far, but then again Crytek did as well, until they released Crysis 2...

22. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    But DICE makes a good point that they really can't be very adventurous on consoles because their hardware is stagnant. Developers like to play with new toys and the new toys are on newer DirectX hardware. The only reason why every game isn't developed for PC is because publishers only care about the dollar signs and consoles are the most reliable sources to deliver on that. It sounds to me like DICE has been doing this on the side so EA can't tell them not to do it without completely losing access to the Battlefield franchise (and they can't afford to do that).

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    nobody knows the future, markets, games, hardware, any of those could could display surprises unexpected by moronic gurus of today.

Only one thing is clear to me: Dice are nice guys that dominate not only creating games but also PR blablabla to put the pc crowds in their sack ;)

24. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Too many developers and publishers are playing on a safe card instead of being innovative and too many of them are placing all the cards into graphics. That's the main and biggest problem really.

25. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    lol, 4g is no where near fast enough to stream games. look at onlive, it takes a fiber connection if you really intend to use it practically. streaming to mobile is years away.

I trust DICE. you could smell Cryteks steaming pile long before crysis 2 actually released.

viva la DICE

**edit** Crazy, DICE is all capital. title needs fixing.