• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Did my Seagate external harddrive die?

Broman48

After quite a few hours of looking around on the internet and trying different cables, I'm now going to ask you guys for help. I need sleep and hopefully I can get a few answers.

Earlier today (yesterday) my Seagate Freeagent Pro 750GB harddrive suddenly shut down. The device disconnect sound played in Windows and I looked down to see the harddrive light was off. I've had it for about 5 or 6 years now and I was going to get a replacement this month. I tried restarting the power, checked to see if the power cord worked, tried another USB cable and nothing has helped. The thing doesn't want to turn on at all. I haven't heard any click of death on my harddrive and it seemed to be working just fine until today.
Could this be the harddrive, or just the enclosure that's broken? If it refuses to turn on at all, wouldn't the drive itself be fine to take out and replace the enclosure?

I don't want to lose all my important data I had saved. This is the first harddrive problem I've had, so I wasn't careful enough to make any backups.
Any help is appreciated.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
it's possible that the drive is fine, but possible not. only way to know is to get another usb adapter or stick it in a machine and test. i'd recommend usb over sticking it in your machine.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 860EVO // Samsung840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
When you said you checked the AC adapter, did you put it on a meter and check it against the specs on the adapter?

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/FreeAg...GB-Desktop-USB/m-p/904?view=by_date_ascending

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/FreeAgent-Products/Freeagent-Pro-500gb-power-issues/td-p/4457

New Power Supply, check for compatibility: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030BMV9O/?tag=tec06d-20

Those older black and orange models had some power issues and there were firmware updates for some drives. I know that doesn't help if it won't start.

Yes, it may just be the shell.

Don't break the case unless that's a last resort to try the drive in its bare state.

If you can get it running it would be prudent to transfer the contents to a new drive.

I use two external drives and stagger the backups, just in case one backup fails.

I also don't leave them plugged in 24/7 but rather make the backups after changes, updates, new important files, etc.

Last edited:

Broman48

it's possible that the drive is fine, but possible not. only way to know is to get another usb adapter or stick it in a machine and test. i'd recommend usb over sticking it in your machine.

What do you mean with another usb adapter? To replace it on the drive itself? Do you know where I might find a replacement for that?

When you said you checked the AC adapter, did you put it on a meter and check it against the specs on the adapter?

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/FreeAg...GB-Desktop-USB/m-p/904?view=by_date_ascending

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/FreeAgent-Products/Freeagent-Pro-500gb-power-issues/td-p/4457

New Power Supply, check for compatibility: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030BMV9O/?tag=tec06d-20

Those older black and orange models had some power issues and there were firmware updates for some drives. I know that doesn't help if it won't start.

Yes, it may just be the shell.

Don't break the case unless that's a last resort to try the drive in its bare state.

If you can get it running it would be prudent to transfer the contents to a new drive.

I use two external drives and stagger the backups, just in case one backup fails.

I also don't leave them plugged in 24/7 but rather make the backups after changes, updates, new important files, etc.

I plugged the adapter into my speakers which take the same kind and they powered on.

I was thinking of disassembling this and sticking the drive into my computer rather than searching for a replacement piece to be 100% sure whether it's the drive or the enclosure. You guys advise against that?

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what I have been reading the base on those get hot and it's possible it is crapping out.
And the touch power button, also, was not the best idea in the world Seagate had.

Did you try holding your finger on the on/off button for 20+ seconds?

Quote from OC review:
One thing of note is the On/Off Button has a sensor to control the power of the unit. It took me several tries holding my finger there for up to 20 seconds each time before it would turn on or off. It would have been better to just place a switch on the unit instead, as this is to finicky to be used on a regular basis.

Just me personally... if, the sucker is not working, no matter what you tried then read-on.

If your data is that important and you wanna retrieve it (or, have a chance at retrieving it) then pop it open, hook it up to your system and see if you can get your data off it.

Now, that will kill any warranty you have... more than likely.

If, you don't care or can replace the data and it is still under the warranty (five years, I believe), then get an RMA approval and get a replacement or banter with them for an improved version.

Warranty info page: Warranty and Returns Assistance
Warranty Validation Page

Goodluck! :)

Last edited:

Broman48

Thank you very much for the help. Yes the touch sensitive button's a hassle. Usually this thing powers on or at least maks a little noise when I plug it into a computer, which it hasn't. Holding in the power button hasn't done anything, either.
I'm in the process of disassembling this and I'll post back later if it's worked.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
If your data is that important and you wanna retrieve it (or, have a chance at retrieving it) then pop it open, hook it up to your system and see if you can get your data off it.

This^^

Possible the enclosure just crapped out, just hook the hd up like any other internal and if it works ull see it in ur computer.

Broman48

After lots of unscrewing and prying (they really don't want you getting in there,) I managed to take out the harddrive and put it into my computer. It really was just the enclosure and my drive is working fine. :)
Thank you guys very much for the help. I'm gonna go back everything up now.

offspring2525

I'm having almost the exact same problem as the OP. My Seagate external is a 500 GB and just completely up and stopped working after years of no problems. The power supply isn't the issue, and I too have hundreds of gigs of data that I really don't want to lose.

My question is, were I to open it up, could I take the hard drive out and put it into another external device? My other device is only a 120 GB external, but I figured it's the hard drive itself that only really matters right?

Thanks for any advice. Don't have the money to take it into a repair shop and this would be a pretty big loss of data.

mcarrer91

After lots of unscrewing and prying (they really don't want you getting in there,) I managed to take out the harddrive and put it into my computer. It really was just the enclosure and my drive is working fine. :)
Thank you guys very much for the help. I'm gonna go back everything up now.

did you take the external HD and insert it in your computer through internal connections, or did you just open the HD housing as connect it through USB ports on the outside?

joe Artrup

Mine is close to the same issue. I plug it in and the power light comes on and goes out without powering up. I do not have a computer to install it in all I use is a laptop. So could I use a new housing? And them where to get one