• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Diet reverses type 2 diabetes

T

twilyth

"Clean"? Sounds like "toning" your muscles. :banghead:
If you want to "clean" your system you can just shove a water tube up your bum and flush it all out.. Hey look i just cured..

Guess you didn't read my reply to that - either that or you weren't willing to give the man the benefit of the doubt by thinking it might be a legit observation.

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II
Storage Corsair F120 SSD +9,5TB storage
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Win 7 x64
Benchmark Scores I only care about practical performance.
Right. I think the key to the article is the part where they talk about the fat content of the pancreas dropping from 8% to 6% iirc.

Guess you didn't read my reply to that - either that or you weren't willing to give the man the benefit of the doubt by thinking it might be a legit observation.

I'm not a MD and "fat content in of the pancreas" doesn't mean anything to me.
It also says it "may" and since I'm not an MD, I will not go around and assume anything.
Like i mentioned before, people have been talking cures for close to 40 years.
Unless someone comes forwards and shows us "this is how it is, this is how you can reproduce the results" I'm really not that interested.

"Seeing a correlation" "We think" etc, means nothing to me. It very well could be legit, but history has taught me to read between the lines. Obviously if it's true - great. But I'm not the kind of guy who assumes things, I want the facts.

T

twilyth

I'm not a MD and "fat content in of the pancreas" doesn't mean anything to me.
It also says it "may" and since I'm not an MD, I will not go around and assume anything.
Like i mentioned before, people have been talking cures for close to 40 years.
Unless someone comes forwards and shows us "this is how it is, this is how you can reproduce the results" I'm really not that interested.

"Seeing a correlation" "We think" etc, means nothing to me. It very well could be legit, but history has taught me to read between the lines. Obviously if it's true - great. But I'm not the kind of guy who assumes things, I want the facts.

No one was stating what the mechanism was with any certainty - not even the article, so I have no idea what you're bitching about. My point was that you jumped all over someone for a piece of valid speculation. That would be "valid" in the sense of being broadly supported by the article. I don't know what you're talking about, but it certainly isn't this.

"Clean"? Sounds like "toning" your muscles. :banghead:
If you want to "clean" your system you can just shove a water tube up your bum and flush it all out.. Hey look i just cured..

Cleaning your body means that you basically consume more than you intake into your body.
This usually means that body starts to consume reserves stored in various organs, including sugar and fat. Decreasing these two usually helps body to operate better and thus "clean" your body in general. It's not like taking a shower or anythign like that.
It's a regular Joe's expression for more technical chemical and physical processes going on in our bodies.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
I think it's worth noting that type I and II don't have much in common. Type I is due to an inability to produce insulin. Beta cells (???) that make it are killed off by the immune system iirc.

Type II is more properly called metabolic syndrome. T2's usually still make at least some insulin but their cells are resistant to it and therefore they require more in order to pull glucose out of the blood.

Also, Type 2's often don't require anything more than oral medication and maybe some sort of basal insulin (basically, a slow-release form of the drug).

This study was only relevant to Type 2.

Kind of right...

the receptors that respond to insulin are lost or do not function properly. I guess that using this extreme diet causes the body to produce more of these receptors, even if they aren't function at 100% capacity 30% is better than 10%. Thus the effects are seen as each cell have many more insulin receptors that the can be acted on.

EDIT: Add a quick wiki for those that want to know more

Last edited:
T

twilyth

Kind of right...

the receptors that respond to insulin are lost or do not function properly. I guess that using this extreme diet causes the body to produce more of these receptors, even if they aren't function at 100% capacity 30% is better than 10%. Thus the effects are seen as each cell have many more insulin receptors that the can be acted on.
Thanks. I always forget that the number of receptors a cell expresses for a particular ligand (substrate???) can vary by significant percentages over a period of weeks or months - if you have the right conditions.

In fact I was talking with my pharmacist about this just a couple weeks ago. This is sort of off topic, but we also talked about the next wave in drug discovery - or what could be the next anyway - allosteric drugs. Things that don't bind to the active site of a receptor but to part of the complex that makes up a receptor or a part of the membrane that affects the receptor's activity. Since they leave the active site open, they can tune the sensitivity up or down as opposed to simply turning receptors on or off - or something like that. :eek:

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
Thanks. I always forget that the number of receptors a cell expresses for a particular ligand (substrate???) can vary by significant percentages over a period of weeks or months - if you have the right conditions.

In fact I was talking with my pharmacist about this just a couple weeks ago. This is sort of off topic, but we also talked about the next wave in drug discovery - or what could be the next anyway - allosteric drugs. Things that don't bind to the active site of a receptor but to part of the complex that makes up a receptor or a part of the membrane that affects the receptor's activity. Since they leave the active site open, they can tune the sensitivity up or down as opposed to simply turning receptors on or off - or something like that. :eek:

Yea, as opposed to an agonist (activating the receptor) or an antagonist (switches it off). Allosterics bind to a site that isn't the active site (where the ligand sits) and so you don't get that on/off effect. You get a higher affinity effect. Also you can make these bind irreversibly so you will always have that higher affinity for the receptors lifetime instead of just it being broken down over a few hours.

Also added a wiki link about receptors in previous post if you want to know more.

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E-I Gaming
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU and GPU
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Asus Hive
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
I know I felt like crap, headaches and weak most of the time, when I had gallstones/pacreatitis and was limited to 10 grams of fat per day. I could only imagine what these people felt like.

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
Key is these people were "probably" given a strict diet containing all the necessary fats/amino acids. Just without the calories.

I guess kinda like Weight Watchers NASA food.

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Cooling Corsair H60
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Software Win 7 x64
No one was stating what the mechanism was with any certainty - not even the article, so I have no idea what you're bitching about. My point was that you jumped all over someone for a piece of valid speculation. That would be "valid" in the sense of being broadly supported by the article. I don't know what you're talking about, but it certainly isn't this.

Hold your horses mister. Bitching? I haven't even read the article for the record.
Either you are over sensitive, or I'm just cold hearted. What did I write to make you so upset?

I'm not buying into these kind of articles since they "have found links" and "see a correlation" and all those standard statements.. But until they can come with clear evidence, it's not that interesting. That's like saying god is real even though there is no evidence for one -- physical or otherwise.

T

twilyth

Hold your horses mister. Bitching? I haven't even read the article for the record.
Either you are over sensitive, or I'm just cold hearted. What did I write to make you so upset?

I'm not buying into these kind of articles since they "have found links" and "see a correlation" and all those standard statements.. But until they can come with clear evidence, it's not that interesting. That's like saying god is real even though there is no evidence for one -- physical or otherwise.
I didn't think I was upset but whatever. You weren't responding to anything I had said. I was pointing that out.

What you do or don't find interesting is irrelevant and what might or might not be considered interesting was never the discussion. The evidence in the article is quite dramatic, but since you haven't read it, I can understand why you are completely nonplussed.

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Cooling Corsair H60
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Software Win 7 x64
My bad then, people have a habit to misinterpret me. Guess it was me this time :)
The reason i didn't read it was because 9/10 these articles are to inconclusive for me to personally find them interesting. I wasn't necessarily giving a response or anything, just my thoughts.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Yeah.. I wonder why you need to loose weight.. :roll:
Dude seriously, WSM competitors eat that much.. If you cut those 16k in half.. Maybe.
And what's this talk about BMR not being accurate? Did our organs all of a sudden stop using as much energy as they used to?

This is the first factual statement I've seen so far. And it's not really beyond the realm of common sense ;)

This for me is fat, I need to lose 20Lbs before we go somewhere tropical this winter.

225Lbs 5' 10.7" The smallest I ever was when ripped was 180Lbs and had no fat and wore size 29. I was curling hundreds of pounds. I still can but no as many reps. I have gotten soft. But that is why I'm cutting back carbs and eating more salads and back on the whey and working out harder. I can burn 1000+ calories per workout session besides what I burn in a day.

BTW, I have done alot of research on bio-availability of different nutrients, best practices in gaining mass and keeping healthy as I have a family history of gout, and I have already had a few cases due to high protein intake. I'm not the average gym fag who goes once a week and buys whatever the new fad is in dieting. I have spent time understanding metabolic pathways and the effects of certain intake combinations on the human body.

If you truly have Diabetus, try a high protein low carb diet with a focus on 5-7 daily servings of complex carbs totaling no more than 15% of your total caloric intake. Drink a caffeinated beverage at least 45 minutes before eating your carbs.

Last edited:
T

twilyth

Lookin' good Steevo. A few extra pounds make you look healthy. But i understand wanting to get a little chiseled if not all-out ripped. :toast:

System Name Beaver's Build
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) - X570
Cooling Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory - 16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition
Storage Inland 1TB NVMe M.2 (Phison E12) / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512G / WD Black 6TB - 256M cache
Display(s) Alienware AW3225QF 32" 4K 240 Hz OLED
Case Fractal Design Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 USB Audio Interface
Power Supply SuperFlower LEADEX TITANIUM 1600W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Razer Cynosa V2 (Membrane)
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores 3dmark = https://www.3dmark.com/spy/32087054 Cinebench R15 = 4038 Cinebench R20 = 9210
that's one great camera there, steevo!

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Cooling Corsair H60
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Software Win 7 x64
What do you mean "if you truly have", I wish i didn't.