• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Difference between "low density" and "high density"?

Necrodamus

What is the difference between "low density" and "high density" with memory, and how do I know if my motherboard will accept high density memory?

This is my current motherboard:

Gigabyte Technology GA-K8N-SLi

I know that I need DDR400 memory, but can I get both low and high density?

System Name The Netbook
Processor Intel Atom n270
Memory 1GB DDR2 533mhz
Video Card(s) Intel G945
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 10.1" LCD
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Starter x86
I've found that high density ram mostly deals with server boards, most of it is also ECC (error correcting code)
Most non-server boards aren't compatible with high density ram and only read it as half of what the ram actually is (1gb as 512mb for example) that is if they even read it at all.
It's safe to assume that your board isn't comatible with the high-density ram.

Devilduck

System Name Quad Sys X64
Processor Intel QX9770
Motherboard Asus P5E3 Premium WiFi-AP@n
Cooling Zalman 9700 LED
Memory Corsair WIN3X40961600C7DHXIN--4 X 2GB modules
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 4870
Storage U320 SCSI X2 (boot), SATAII X4
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226cw
Case Antec900
Audio Device(s) mobo
Power Supply 800W
Software Vista U sp1 X64
Check this out for Low vs. High info:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Myth-Low-De...0001236178?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:LISTINGS:4

Since this is an older mobo, I'd go with best quality low density dram affordable. OCZ & Corsair come to mind.

There are certain batches of high density memory modules, that some vendors claim to work with the chipset (NVIDIA nForce4 SLI MCPs) on this board. However, you need to get a confirmation from Gigabyte Support, exactly what brand or size of high density dram that might be. Even if a vendor tells you that the high density mem they have will work on your board, confirm that with Gigabyte. (Don't purchase high density no-name modules from any vendor.)

The supposed advantage of high density mem over low density mem for OCing is an unproven theory in general.