1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Differendce between NTSC and PAL....

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by andrewking, May 5, 2007.

1. andrewking New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I want to discuss about video card, how I can recognize my video card chipset name and version and what is the difference between NTSC and PAL. If any one knows about this reply me
    Thanks in advance
  2. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think NTSC is higher quality from what I've seen. but I am not sure. look it up on wikipedia
  3. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Video cards can output both NTSC and PAL, the difference is resolution and frame rate. PAL is the European standard, NTSC is the American standard, however most modern equipment can handle both.

Quality wise you won't notice much of a difference.
  4. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    pal is 25Hz refresh rate, NTSC is 30 i believe
  5. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    NTSC uses 50hz scan rate, PAL uses 60hz scan rate. In other words, PAL is higher quality.
  6. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    So Pal is probably better then. but in Windows movie maker when the setting is set to NTSC over palm its better :S
    [​IMG]
  7. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    ntsc has a higher framerate...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I'm not 100% sure, NTSC might have a slightly higher framerate, but its quality is very poor in comparison to PAL. I watch some US channels and flicking over to a UK channel the quality difference is immediately and startalingly noticable. NTSC generally has less colour depth and the image can appear "blurry", where PAL standards use maximum colour depth and somewhat higher quality, but at the cost of a few frames per second.
  9. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    NTSC (Never the same colour, heheheh), is a slightly older standard. It's got higher refresh rate, as it's linked to the mains (in the US, you guys have 110V/60Hz, in Europe, we have 220V-240V/50Hz. BAck the, it was alot easier and cheaper than controlling refresh rate via circuitry, so it was just controlled by the AC mains), but a lower resolution (as you can see in that comparison image). I've never really noticed a difference, but then again, I hardly watch TV anyhow, especially when I'm out of the country, so I never really took notice as to the quality of the image on American SDTVs.

EDIT: Oh, and about finding out graphics card chip and version, that'll either require you to take the heatsink off the GPU for detailed information, or else, if you're looking for the simple stuff, sometimes even the Windows display manager gives enough information (mine shows me I have an ATi Radeon X1800 GTO, which is about as accurate as it needs to be)
  10. raymerjacques New Member

Thanks Received:
    NTSC and PAL : you will only use when setting up your "TV out".

when you connect a TV to your pc you need to set the format for tv out, if you live in USA you set TV to NTSC , if you live in europe or africa you set it to PAL etc ...

basicly all video cards support both pal and ntsc so you need not worry about this feature when buying a card, just make sure your card has TV out when you buy it :)
  11. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually, making it even easier, all new cards (maybe some exceptions, but very few, as everyone wants a HTPC... well, I do at least...) have TV-out, and since all of them support both standards, then you don't have to worry about that, but I might concentrate more on Video In functionality, as not all cards currently support tht (though alot more mid-range cards are adding it)
  12. andrewking New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for your info...