1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Difficulty with new build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Vario, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Hello.

I just built a new computer with a Biostar NF4 SLI Mobo, a MSI ATI X800XL, 2x512 Mushkin Ram, 80 GB SATA Samsung HDD.

Computer had a lot of difficulty after a fresh reformat and install of windows. Lots of difficulty with drivers, for example, mouse fails to work occasionally after boot. The main problem I am experiencing is the Videocard fails to take any catalyst drivers. After an install of the latest drivers, I get a CLI.exe error, and the catalyst control center fails to load (which it should load every windows boot) Windows is up to date.

The error is as follows:
    CLI.exe - Application error:
    The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Any suggestions? I am wondering about compatibility between this particular motherboard and the video card.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

Ran DXDIAG. According to direct x, I am running an x800gto. Should it say x800xl? Is it possible a prior owner (this is a possibly refurb. ebay purchase) flashed the card wrong? Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  2. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    We fixed the videocard issue by installing .NET from microsoft update. It seems really poor of ATI to require .NET and not inform you on installation. Will monitor for future problems. Is the x800gto label in dxdiag something to worry about? Thanks.

Edit: I only have 12 pixel pipelines according to ATI tool...
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  3. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The X800 XL should have 16 ppl. Have you flashed the BIOS? That could explain the loss of pipelines. Download Sandra and see if it reports only 12 ppl also. Have you re-installled the drivers since you installed .net? I noticed that my X800 np is also being reported as a GTO since I install catalyst 5.11?
  4. Aevum New Member

Thanks Received:
    fall back to 5.10 and try again,

and ati builders should have the decency of including .net on the driver disk atleast to patch the problem untill ati makes decent drivers and gets rid of the .net frameword dependency.
  5. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  6. Poisonsnak New Member

Thanks Received:
    IIRC .net is only required for catalyst control center if you download the "control panel" option you should be fine. I would direct link but it doesn't seem to work on ATI's site.